Main Menu

Aurora Help

Started by OJsDad, February 25, 2013, 12:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

OJsDad

Yeh!!

My first warship design.  It's a corvette designed for attacking other ships.  I'll be designing a twin for the anti missile role.  I hope to be able to play around with trying to figure out how to design missles this weekend.  These ships are meant for the defense of the home system, and maybe a neighboring system with a good planet for colonizing.

Quote
Enterprise class Corvette    4,800 tons     105 Crew     651.4 BP      TCS 96  TH 90  EM 0
1250 km/s     Armour 4-25     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 16.56
Maint Life 8.22 Years     MSP 1170    AFR 92%    IFR 1.3%    1YR 31    5YR 462    Max Repair 43 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 8 months    Spare Berths 0   

60 EP Ion Drive (2)    Power 60    Fuel Use 76%    Signature 45    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 500,000 Litres    Range 24.7 billion km   (228 days at full power)

Twin 10cm C3 Near Ultraviolet Laser Turret (2x2)    Range 90,000km     TS: 12000 km/s     Power 6-6     RM 3    ROF 5        3 3 3 2 1 1 1 1 1 0
CIWS-120 (2x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 12000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Fire Control S04 96-3000 (2)    Max Range: 192,000 km   TS: 3000 km/s     95 90 84 79 74 69 64 58 53 48
Gas-Cooled Fast Reactor Technology PB-1 (3)     Total Power Output 13.5    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor MR19-R100 (70%) (1)     GPS 3200     Range 19.2m km    Resolution 100
Active Search Sensor MR0-R1 (70%) (1)     GPS 16     Range 960k km    Resolution 1

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

The defense ship

Quote
Indianapolis class Corvette    4,100 tons     87 Crew     568.2 BP      TCS 82  TH 90  EM 0
1463 km/s     Armour 4-22     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 6
Maint Life 10.41 Years     MSP 1173    AFR 67%    IFR 0.9%    1YR 20    5YR 296    Max Repair 43 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 8 months    Spare Berths 0   

60 EP Ion Drive (2)    Power 60    Fuel Use 76%    Signature 45    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 500,000 Litres    Range 28.9 billion km   (228 days at full power)

10cm C3 Near Ultraviolet Laser (2)    Range 48,000km     TS: 3000 km/s     Power 3-3     RM 3    ROF 5        3 3 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 0
CIWS-120 (2x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 12000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Fire Control S04 24-12000 (2)    Max Range: 48,000 km   TS: 12000 km/s     79 58 38 17 0 0 0 0 0 0
Gas-Cooled Fast Reactor Technology PB-1 (2)     Total Power Output 9    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor MR19-R100 (70%) (1)     GPS 3200     Range 19.2m km    Resolution 100
Active Search Sensor MR0-R1 (70%) (1)     GPS 16     Range 960k km    Resolution 1

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

My attack missile frigate

Quote
North Carolina class Cruiser    5,700 tons     199 Crew     666.2 BP      TCS 114  TH 90  EM 0
1052 km/s     Armour 1-28     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 50
Maint Life 7.5 Years     MSP 1146    AFR 129%    IFR 1.8%    1YR 36    5YR 537    Max Repair 40 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 2   
Magazine 275   

60 EP Ion Drive (2)    Power 60    Fuel Use 76%    Signature 45    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 500,000 Litres    Range 20.8 billion km   (228 days at full power)

CIWS-120 (1x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 12000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Size 5 Missile Launcher (10)    Missile Size 5    Rate of Fire 75
Missile Fire Control FC4-R60 (2)     Range 4.4m km    Resolution 60
Anti-ship Missile Exocet Mk1 (58)  Speed: 2,500 km/s   End: 7.2d    Range: 1561.5m km   WH: 3    Size: 4.767    TH: 14/8/4

Active Search Sensor MR19-R100 (70%) (1)     GPS 3200     Range 19.2m km    Resolution 100

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Anti Missile Missile Frigate

Quote
Coontz class Frigate    5,600 tons     193 Crew     648.7 BP      TCS 112  TH 45  EM 0
535 km/s     Armour 1-28     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 50
Maint Life 5.07 Years     MSP 1072    AFR 250%    IFR 3.5%    1YR 69    5YR 1042    Max Repair 40 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 1   
Magazine 320   

60 EP Ion Drive (1)    Power 60    Fuel Use 76%    Signature 45    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 500,000 Litres    Range 21.1 billion km   (456 days at full power)

CIWS-120 (1x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 12000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Size 5 Missile Launcher (10)    Missile Size 5    Rate of Fire 75
Missile Fire Control FC4-R60 (1)     Range 4.4m km    Resolution 60
Anti-Missile Missile Mk1 (177)  Speed: 6,700 km/s   End: 1.4d    Range: 837m km   WH: 1    Size: 1.8    TH: 33/20/10

Active Search Sensor MR0-R1 (70%) (1)     GPS 16     Range 960k km    Resolution 1
Active Search Sensor MR19-R100 (70%) (1)     GPS 3200     Range 19.2m km    Resolution 100

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mikeck

#94
Looks good. I would remove the CIWS though and here is why:until you have a ship that can throw of a lot of anti missile missiles, you can't defend against a missle attack really. I'm not sure the CIWs is worth it's weight unless the ship is part of a larger fleet. I would ditch it and add a few more engines

The only other thing is speed. If you are using beams, you have to get close. At the speed your ships go, you won't have much luck catching enemy ships.

It's tough because at early tech, beams have short range. I would look at missiles and research gauss cannons for pd work...they are awesome

All that said, looks like you did a great job of matching stuff up.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

OJsDad

Thanks Mikeck.

I plan on operating these in task groups of 8 ships, two of each type.  I was really just trying out a design of each, while learning how to design the ship components. 

One thing I see is the Missile Fire Control on the North Carolina class.  The range is really too short for the missiles.

Two notes;

1. When designing components that are meant to work to gether, give them names that makes it easier to match up ie Exorcet MFC for controlling your Exorcet missiles, etc.

2.  In my current base game, I'm running out of minerals.  I've also found that I tried to build my freighters too large, too many holds and not enough engine and fuel. 

Just for fun, I started a new game with a starting population of 7b, wow, what a difference!!
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mikeck

I would recommend making anti missile missiles size 1. The warheads can be very small unless you are going up against armored missiles. Also, do everything you can to make you missiles faster. That is the best way to improve hit probability.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

jejo68

Quote from: OJsDad on March 21, 2013, 09:48:02 PM
The defense ship

Quote
Indianapolis class Corvette    4,100 tons     87 Crew     568.2 BP      TCS 82  TH 90  EM 0
1463 km/s     Armour 4-22     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 6
Maint Life 10.41 Years     MSP 1173    AFR 67%    IFR 0.9%    1YR 20    5YR 296    Max Repair 43 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 8 months    Spare Berths 0   

60 EP Ion Drive (2)    Power 60    Fuel Use 76%    Signature 45    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 500,000 Litres    Range 28.9 billion km   (228 days at full power)

10cm C3 Near Ultraviolet Laser (2)    Range 48,000km     TS: 3000 km/s     Power 3-3     RM 3    ROF 5        3 3 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 0
CIWS-120 (2x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 12000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Fire Control S04 24-12000 (2)    Max Range: 48,000 km   TS: 12000 km/s     79 58 38 17 0 0 0 0 0 0
Gas-Cooled Fast Reactor Technology PB-1 (2)     Total Power Output 9    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor MR19-R100 (70%) (1)     GPS 3200     Range 19.2m km    Resolution 100
Active Search Sensor MR0-R1 (70%) (1)     GPS 16     Range 960k km    Resolution 1

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

your fire control is way overpowered. If you dont put lasers in a turret they can only at the speed of your ship. So tbh I would drop this class and go with the enterprise class.

Just need to make a few adjustments. Drop the CIWS and put on extra engines for more speed. Second if they are meant for home defense theres really no need for them to be able to deploy for more then 6 month so drop some weight there also.
You also really need to get some shields on this baby which again will make it lighter and thus faster.
Oh and in closing dont forget passive sensors, those are good for beam ships as you may be able to sneak up on him  :)
You could also skip one fire control and link both turrets to same control.

OJsDad

Just to give all a fair warning, I'm starting a new game of Aurora.  There should be more than enough good information to get me restarted, but I'm hopping to be posting new stuff soon. 

I was hoping that a new update to Aurora would have been out my now, but that does not seem to be in the cards at this time. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

One thing I just realized.  When starting a new game, there is a option to Create ship systems and ship designs in the Starting Tech section.  I'm not sure if they are good or not, but they should be useful to use as an example.  I created one game with this option just to have the handy reference. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

If you haven't looked at this for awhile, 6.42 was just released.

Link to an installer;

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5663.0.html

Link to the new features and changes for 6.4;

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,6532.0.html

Bug fix for 6.42

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,7054.0.html
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

This  is one of those games like WitP. I dream of learning how to actually play it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


OJsDad

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 06, 2014, 05:46:56 AM
This  is one of those games like WitP. I dream of learning how to actually play it.

Dittos for me also. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mikeck

As soon as I start to really learn the details, I get a situation where whenever I hit the go button on the time the turn takes 10 years to complete five seconds of the time I go eat dinner come back still going. They keep telling me there's ways around that but I can't find out how to do it so I stop playing... and then of course a year later I want to start playing again I have to start all over learning the game
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

GDS_Starfury

stop starting with 1000 world universes during setup.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.