Ten reasons Imperialism II is the greatest strategy game ever made

Started by PanzersEast, May 06, 2014, 09:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PanzersEast


Martok

I picked up Imperialism II from GOG last year as well.  I still haven't played it enough to say whether or not it's among the all-time greats (much less *the* greatest), but I definitely have fun whenever I play it.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

SgtRock

It was a good game but, I never got whole layline thing, it just seemed out of place in the game.


RedArgo

One of my all time favorites.  My strategy was to scour the new world for diamonds for concentrated cash and build a powerful navy.  Once you win a decisive naval battle at the AIs capital, it was game over for them.

DennisS

I played the bejeesus out of this one. I still have a pretty lengthy list of map seeds that provide you with a monster start.

bbmike

I love to see love for Imperialism! But as much as I love the game I don't know if I would crown it THE greatest strategy game ever made. It's certainly on my top five list. A lot of game designers could certainly learn a few things from Imperialism I and II.

Quote from: SgtRock on May 06, 2014, 11:16:58 AM
It was a good game but, I never got whole layline thing, it just seemed out of place in the game.

What layline thing?  ???

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bobarossa

Don't know what a 'layline' is either.  I have played Imp2 at least once every year since it came out (90's).  I wouldn't have said it was the greatest but then, it's the only game I've played that much (USAAF on my Atari is a close second). 

Queeg

Imperialism II is my all-time favorite too.  It's been on every hard drive I've owned since 1999.   

The game should be required study for anyone setting out to make a turn-based strategy game.  Every decision has a clear but important consequence - and a clear and compelling alternative path. 

It's hard to capture what makes the game so good without waxing metaphysical, but I think the essence of it is that the developers captured an elegant, near-perfect balance between abstraction and detail.     

SgtRock

Quote from: bbmike on May 06, 2014, 05:24:04 PM
I love to see love for Imperialism! But as much as I love the game I don't know if I would crown it THE greatest strategy game ever made. It's certainly on my top five list. A lot of game designers could certainly learn a few things from Imperialism I and II.

Quote from: SgtRock on May 06, 2014, 11:16:58 AM
It was a good game but, I never got whole layline thing, it just seemed out of place in the game.

What layline thing?  ???

Maybe I'm thinking of some other game, it's been a long time.