Free Space Open Source Project

Started by Jarhead0331, May 10, 2014, 05:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

I had jumped on the FSO bandwagon shortly when it was released years ago, but have not installed it on any of my last few systems. Therefore, a few years had gone by without me keeping up or even playing. Little did I know, the fans behind the FSO have been consistently updating and supporting the project with nightly, yes nightly, updates and new builds.

Wow. Have I been missing out.  The present state of the project is simply stunning. It takes an aging game that was and may still be the finest space combat game of all time and brings it really damn close to modern standards.  Free Space was so far ahead of its time, and FSO totally bridges the gap between the original excellence of the game and the technical capability of modern computers.

I had been meaning to get back into this for awhile, but I was put off by the rather complicated installation "dance".  This afternoon, I forced myself to sit down, wade through all the technical jargon in the official forums and cut down to the main files. Once I had everything I needed, it was smooth sailing. Running this game again was a real nostalgic treat...and the best part, unlike running most older games after a period of years, this time, the game actually seemed better. Having been let down by one space combat game after another, it was so awesome loading something up that scratches every itch. Immersive menus, fantastic briefings, great ship design, capital ship operations, great story line, spectacular effects...just a wonderful gaming experience.

I just ran through the tutorials and earned my wings for the Mermidon Space Superiority Fighter. I'm ready to join the fleet and my squad mates in the 53rd Hammerheads for combat operations in the Deneb System.

You just wait until I start posting screenshots. You'll be begging me to give you the straight skinny on how to install his thing...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


undercovergeek

And  you paid 100 dollars for elite?  :P

Looking forward to shots

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 10, 2014, 05:43:50 PM
And  you paid 100 dollars for elite?  :P

Looking forward to shots

No. I paid $150 for it.  ???

But, I do believe Elite will be worth it. It obviously surpasses FSO in several ways. Still, FSO deserves to be on EVERYONE'S hard drive.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mikeck

#3
I purchased it and installed a battle star galactica mod called "Diaspora" some time ago. It is fantastic. Obviously Elite is a different game with a procedurally generated universe and trading. FS is fantastic
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

I played one of the iterations of the FSO years ago and it was one of the most memorable games I have ever played.

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Is it pure combat then? No trading or rpg elements?

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: mikeck on May 10, 2014, 06:04:16 PM
I purchased it and installed a battle star galactica mod called "Diaspora" some time ago. It is fantastic.

please speak more of this mod kind sir.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


undercovergeek


Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 11, 2014, 01:57:26 AM
Is it pure combat then? No trading or rpg elements?

Correct. But don't say this like its a bad thing...it does it right.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mikeck

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 11, 2014, 04:29:56 AM
Quote from: mikeck on May 10, 2014, 06:04:16 PM
I purchased it and installed a battle star galactica mod called "Diaspora" some time ago. It is fantastic.

please speak more of this mod kind sir.

Here you go: basically a series of missions in a campaign:

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Diaspora

And download/forum
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=175.0



"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Martok

I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Tpek


TacticalWargames

It's amazing how damn good it looks! Could easily be released as a new game no probs. Plus they are constantly improving it.

I have my eye on the long been in development Star Wars mod. When it will be done though is another thing..been a few years already.

RyanE

I thought you had to own Free Space 2.  Is that a requirement?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RyanE on May 11, 2014, 03:10:24 PM
I thought you had to own Free Space 2.  Is that a requirement?

Yes. It costs about $5.99 on GoG.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18