Free Space Open Source Project

Started by Jarhead0331, May 10, 2014, 05:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 11, 2014, 03:44:27 PM
Quote from: RyanE on May 11, 2014, 03:10:24 PM
I thought you had to own Free Space 2.  Is that a requirement?

Yes. It costs about $5.99 on GoG.

Works for me, I never finished FS2.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Jarhead0331

Screen shots posted. They really do not do the game justice. Looks much better in action.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=948.new#new
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 11, 2014, 03:44:27 PM
Quote from: RyanE on May 11, 2014, 03:10:24 PM
I thought you had to own Free Space 2.  Is that a requirement?

Yes. It costs about $5.99 on GoG.

FS2 was released for free as an open source game.
Why/How GOG started selling it for money later on is another question.

Jarhead0331

#19
I don't think that is correct tpek. I thought just the source tools for modding were released for free. Not the actual game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Staggerwing

From the Freespace 2 Open wiki;
QuoteStep One: Understanding what you need

There are three main components that you need to get the most out of fs2_open.
First, you need to install the retail data from FreeSpace 2
Second, the fs2_open build. This is the core game engine, a single executable file.
Next, the Launcher. This lets you configure the fs2_open executable for your particular system, in much the same way the original FreeSpace 2 launcher is used to configure it.
Finally, the MediaVPs. These contain all sorts of graphical improvements and are highly recommended. Version numbers of mediaVPs generally agree with the fs2_open build that they're supposed to be used with.

Clicking on the red link gets you here: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_FreeSpace_2

Quote... There are several methods to installing FreeSpace 2. The supported methods include installing from the boxed media, manually setting up the retail data, or installing using the GOG distribution....

Looks like you need to plunk down at least the $6 to get the GOG version if you don't want to troll eBay or Amazon.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

RyanE


Staggerwing

#22
Quote from: RyanE on May 12, 2014, 09:18:20 PM
Its 10 now it seems.

I stand corrected. The GOG Guys must have read this thread and seen revenue opportunity.


BTW, they have a FS2 mod page folks might be interested in. It includes info about the 'Beyond the red Line' Galactica mod and also a Babylon 5 and a Wing Commander mod:

http://www.gog.com/news/freespace_2_open_source_code_project_spotlight

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys