Age of Sail naval warfare game

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, May 14, 2014, 06:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Silent Disapproval Robot


Grim.Reaper

Hope it might have single player some day

mikeck

#2
No go for me if no single player and it needs damage modeling. No holes in the sails or broke  masts after taking a full broadside from a triple deck 120'gun ship of the line?

Maybe added later. Anyway, looks cool but I need SP. I still miss "Broadsides" on my Commodore 64

Edit: I see they will be adding damage modeling, so that's cool
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Sounds interesting to me!


I also remembered the other pre-alpha project I had been trying to think of not long ago in the other thread:

Hearts Of Oak
http://www.moddb.com/games/hearts-of-oak

Anguille

Looking good but i only play games where i can play solo...(having so few time).

jomni

So what's this?  "World of Sails"?

RooksBailey

Quote from: mikeck on May 14, 2014, 07:48:49 PM
I still miss "Broadsides" on my Commodore 64

Me, too!  It is sad that after all these years nobody has made a proper modern remake of it.  This new game might come the closest when all is said and done.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

BanzaiCat

I miss my copy of Broadsides & Boarding Parties.

MengJiao

#8
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 14, 2014, 06:19:05 PM
Saw this on Steam Greenlight.  Looks like it might be good.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=259130636

  It does look good.  the wind, waves and sails look very convincing.  I suspect it will try to rehash some of the supposed actual facts about warfare undersail, but since it will be jazzed up arcade-style, it will paradoxically come closer to the real thing (though at many times the speed).  So thing seemed kind of impossible, for example, the one of the two French corvettes were sailing broad with full sails in something approaching a gale -- not likely to last for more than a minute or two, plus one of the two was reaching under full sail in that same wind -- again -- seems a bit suicidal, though the ships don't heel much so maybe not in that version of the game engine.  Maybe you can't take in much sail?  But then in the background was a ship under bare poles (not very safe either).

More scruitiny shows worse sailing == tacking seems almost as easy as wearing and you stop if you reef your sails (very odd).  Sails seem to have two states -- on and off.  The relation of sails to wind doesn't seem to have much effect on speed.

Oh well, maybe there will be a realism setting or two or something.

Silent Disapproval Robot

If you read the description, it sounds like they will be putting in realistic sail features. 

QuoteRealistic sailing – Advanced wind and physics model provides for realistic portrayal of ship's performance in the age of sail. Yard angles, ship angle to wind, cargo, fittings and ship condition affects speeds and turning rates. Correct tacking, boxhauling, clubhauling and other elements of the age of sail sailing are possible. Hidden ship characteristics will allow to gradually uncover potential of the vessel – every ship in game will be unique.

bob48

Quote from: MengJiao on May 16, 2014, 02:12:33 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 14, 2014, 06:19:05 PM
Saw this on Steam Greenlight.  Looks like it might be good.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=259130636

  It does look good.  the wind, waves and sails look very convincing.  I suspect it will try to rehash some of the supposed actual facts about warfare undersail, but since it will be jazzed up arcade-style, it will paradoxically come closer to the real thing (though at many times the speed).  So thing seemed kind of impossible, for example, the one of the two French corvettes were sailing broad with full sails in something approaching a gale -- not likely to last for more than a minute or two, plus one of the two was reaching under full sail in that same wind -- again -- seems a bit suicidal, though the ships don't heel much so maybe not in that version of the game engine.  Maybe you can't take in much sail?  But then in the background was a ship under bare poles (not very safe either).

More scruitiny shows worse sailing == tacking seems almost as easy as wearing and you stop if you reef your sails (very odd).  Sails seem to have two states -- on and off.  The relation of sails to wind doesn't seem to have much effect on speed.

Oh well, maybe there will be a realism setting or two or something.

I noticed at least some of those things as well. Plus it would have been normal to brail up the mainsails in combat to reduce the risk of fire.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Nefaro

#11
Quote from: Anguille on May 15, 2014, 10:38:57 AM
Looking good but i only play games where i can play solo...(having so few time).


From it's Greenlight page description:


"The game will be shipped in 3 stages.

Episode 1: Multiplayer combat.
Episode 2: Upgradeable ships, crews, ranks, boarding
Episode 3: Sandbox open world, crafting and conquest"

That implies that you can wander off and do your thing by your lonesome..?


Sounds exactly like something I would play, especially if the ever get all three stages out.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Crafting?  What's the deal with crafting?  I hate crafting!

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 16, 2014, 06:16:32 PM
Crafting?  What's the deal with crafting?  I hate crafting!

Gaming proven over and over again that repetitive tasks with colorful results is a proven recipe for success. I imagine implementing a crafting system has an effective cost/benefit ratio for your average development team, but I also imagine there is a cost/benefit ratio that will get Jennifer Aniston to see me naked.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.