Endless Space? Nope, it's Endless Legend!

Started by Martok, August 22, 2013, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

steve58

#105
It might depend if you have (or don't have) Endless Space and Dungeon of the Endless since some of the extras in the Founders Pack apply only to those games.  I picked up the Founders Pack since I could use a 20% voucher code to get it on GameFly for about the same price as the Classic Pack.  The only items in the Founders Pack that apply to Endless Legends are one new minor faction, one unique faction trait and one hero all of which will only be available at release.  I think you might be better off to just get the Classic Pack (check GameFly and Greenmangaming for voucher codes first) and get the DLC later on during a sale.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

tgb

To answeryour 2nd question, they're saying 6 months.  Don't be surprised if it slips into '15.

undercovergeek

boats released this week - im going to to see how they work

Gusington

I do have Endless Space but have yet to try it out, ashamedly. But the extra factions and items that come with the fancy version...worth the extra expense or are they barely noticeable?

2015 eh...lot of people are having fun with it now though, it seems.

Something about the look of the game is drawing me to it...clearly I did not feel the same about Endless Space.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

The Founders Pack extras that apply to Endless Legends only consist of one new minor faction (Ice Wargs), one new Hero and a unique faction trait.  Can't say if the extras are noticeable since they are not in the game yet and won't be until the game is officially released.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 16, 2014, 02:44:38 PM
boats released this week - im going to to see how they work

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think ships have been introduced into the game yet, at least not in the 0.4.8 patch.

I did see this on their Facebook page though....

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Thanks steve, that will save me some money.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Gusington on May 16, 2014, 03:01:14 PM
I do have Endless Space but have yet to try it out, ashamedly. But the extra factions and items that come with the fancy version...worth the extra expense or are they barely noticeable?

2015 eh...lot of people are having fun with it now though, it seems.

Something about the look of the game is drawing me to it...clearly I did not feel the same about Endless Space.

@Gustington -- Like you, I have owned Endless Space for a while now and never played it. I went back and gave it a serious try a couple of days ago, thanks to this thread, and comments from the likes of Martok and Nefaro who keep mentioning how much they like it.

It's definitely worth trying. It's execution is nearly flawless -- you will never find yourself fighting the game (with the exception of the tech tree. It's not immediately obvious what some techs accomplish). AI does not appear particularly bad or good, but like many 4x games, remains more of a hindrance to your own plans than an active plotter against. (This is the reason why I am so hopeful for GalCiv3). My biggest problem with the game may be similar to yours. I can't enjoy a sci fi entertainment if I don't like the looks of the space ships. And there are only a couple of models in the entire Endless Space (core) that I enjoy.

While it's play is smooth and is at least as good as any other Space 4x Hall of Not Complete Shite, the lack of attractive ship models is the primary reason why I'm posting about it instead of playing it.

If, however, you don't have the same quirk, you will be hard pressed to find any space 4x that is better.

I would like to play the game against some human opponents whose ships I also do not like.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

mikeck

My problem with endless space was that by mid game, I was building everything on every planet. Should be harder to manage an empire. Other than that, I really enjoyed it
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: mikeck on May 16, 2014, 08:54:48 PM
My problem with endless space was that by mid game, I was building everything on every planet. Should be harder to manage an empire. Other than that, I really enjoyed it

Yes, empire management is painfully easy. (Not Aow3 painfully easy.) Too often I have planets not building anything because I've not only built everything I want to, but everything I can actually can. The only decision is when and in what order. There are very few negative consequences for any structure. Also, I am fairly certain that when I lowered taxes my revenues went up because of improved happiness. I certainly never felt any financial pressures in the game, but also took the Entrepreneur racial benny (+1 credit for each population).
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Nefaro

I agree that most of the ship models aren't terribly interesting.  They're passable, I suppose.  I do like the way they have the tac battles set up, because they can be resolved rather quickly.  However, I think it needs more variety;  more card play options perhaps?  Even the unlocks for more of them, in the tech tree, still makes it feel a bit short on that end.  It doesn't bother me much because it accomplishes what it does in short time.  Hell.. I find myself auto-resolving a steady amount of Total War battles because I don't want to spend all the time fighting it out when the end result is likely one way or another.  The strategic gameplay in this stuff is the focus for me so this method is alright.

Building on planets is generally beneficial and the biggest hurdle to doing so is research and time, although some of the buildings have negative effects on certain things.  You gotta be careful about the ones with trade-offs.  So you should still make some specialization decisions, depending on what you've researched, because if you just build everything then you may have one building that penalizes a certain production which another creates, thus cancelling out some of the benefits (and having wasted the extra time building these opposed features).  It's more about efficiency, I think.  As your colonized planets' populations grow, their builds will eventually catch up to your homeworld's tech level, possibly with some differences depending on specialization.  It can take awhile to get there, however.  Makes some sense from a logical viewpoint. 

Also.. the Horatios.  Hilarious.  Love the race concept.  :)

Gusington

Great posts above guys. Just bought Endless Legend, classic edition. I have been in much more of a fantasy mood the last few years than a spacey mood.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on May 17, 2014, 06:36:05 PM
Great posts above guys. Just bought Endless Legend, classic edition. I have been in much more of a fantasy mood the last few years than a spacey mood.

you just missed out on the create your own faction contest

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

#119
theres 4 races in the game - i think theyre aiming for 8 but for the next they got people to write a summary of their proposed race, natural bonuses, appearance, back story and then you got to vote for the winner

http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/showthread.php?28336-Faction-Creation-Competition-Nos-%28Inofficial!%29-Grand-Overview-listing-%28WIP%29