New games announced by Matrixgames at The Home of Wargamers

Started by steve58, May 15, 2014, 01:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

panzerde

Quote from: -budd- on May 17, 2014, 09:46:58 AM

The games graphics with the wonderful mods being turned out are just fine. I say add what you can to make the modders job easier and focus on engine/features and content.

I agree. There's some really nice stuff being turned out, much of which is in these screenshots. I've started using these mods too. Conversely there's some people that don't like these at all. I'm with anything that enhances the flexibility to make it look the way you want while continuing to improve the engine and allows MR to crank out more great scenarios to go with the base games.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Herman Hum

Quote from: Capn Darwin on May 17, 2014, 10:09:35 AM
Maps will always look better hand drawn. No easy way to make a simple tile system compete with that level of hand detailing. We will be looking and testing a newer auto map values system in the coming months to see if we can improve the look of the base tiles in the current system. If that works we can then entertain getting some outside support to do new art for the base maps. Won't be as awesome as the shots below, but it will be highly functional and better looking than the current standard maps.  8)

As usual, I will go against the grain.  I have tried the third-party maps and must say that I find the official FPC maps easier to use.  Too often, I find it difficult to know what the altitude, cover, terrain feature (river/lake) extends in a third-party map while I can easily figure it out from the official ones.  Of course, I can always hover the mouse over the hex for the details, that must means additional/unnecessary mouse movement.  I've tried them all and the official maps deliver the goods to me more effectively than user-made ones.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

-budd-

Quote from: Rayfer on May 17, 2014, 10:48:42 AM
Quote from: -budd- on May 17, 2014, 10:32:20 AM
ETA on 2.04?

budd....I really like the map mod you are using as shown in your screenshots.

Here's the link,  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3559855   he's got 13 done so far.[ Plodders Maps]
Here's a different style ,he has them all done and a winter set also.  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3510379 [Williams Maps]
Military style markers  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3594454  [Redmarkus]
Color unit silhouettes .   http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3558052 [Papa Hausser]
Counter backrounds  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3553160 [Jack54]
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

panzerde

Quote from: Herman Hum on May 17, 2014, 11:16:43 AM
As usual, I will go against the grain.  I have tried the third-party maps and must say that I find the official FPC maps easier to use.  Too often, I find it difficult to know what the altitude, cover, terrain feature (river/lake) extends in a third-party map while I can easily figure it out from the official ones.  Of course, I can always hover the mouse over the hex for the details, that must means additional/unnecessary mouse movement.  I've tried them all and the official maps deliver the goods to me more effectively than user-made ones.

I'll admit to a fondness for the default maps myself. I'm trying Plodder's set right now, but something about the quasi-3d nature of them messes with me. I do like the military style markers Budd linked to above, however, over the default symbols.

Now, If I could get topo maps that might be a different story...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Boggit

Quote from: Nefaro on May 16, 2014, 05:17:42 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on May 16, 2014, 02:20:51 PM
How is the Ageod WWI game different than the one they already have? The only WWI game I've played is the Battlefront one.

WWI Gold was a computerized version of Phil Thib's old monster tabletop wargame.  But it was coded by a single guy from Italy, not the AGEOD team.  They only published it.  It doesn't use the AGE system but is a port of the tabletop. 

Sounds like AGEOD's new WWI game will be using the usual AGE engine & mechanics.
WWI Gold is a very different beast compared to To End All Wars. So guys, you're going to have to practise some delayed gratification, but I think you'll find it worth it! - No Starfury! ;) delayed gratification isn't necessarily a sexual thing! :buck2: :2funny:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

SgtRock

Some what surprised there's no news on the new 3D Close Combat game? I hear the next/last Close Combat 2D game(Gateway to Caen) will also be released on Steam.
Too bad no new naval game announcements, maybe they should partner up with Naval Warfare Simulations. I was hoping to hear that they gave Empire of the Fading Suns (Matrix games has the rights) to VR Designs (makers of Advanced Tactics) to try to make something out of it.


Herman Hum

Quote from: panzerde on May 18, 2014, 10:56:02 AM
Quote from: Herman Hum on May 17, 2014, 11:16:43 AM
As usual, I will go against the grain.  I have tried the third-party maps and must say that I find the official FPC maps easier to use.  Too often, I find it difficult to know what the altitude, cover, terrain feature (river/lake) extends in a third-party map while I can easily figure it out from the official ones.  Of course, I can always hover the mouse over the hex for the details, that must means additional/unnecessary mouse movement.  I've tried them all and the official maps deliver the goods to me more effectively than user-made ones.

I'll admit to a fondness for the default maps myself. I'm trying Plodder's set right now, but something about the quasi-3d nature of them messes with me. I do like the military style markers Budd linked to above, however, over the default symbols.

Now, If I could get topo maps that might be a different story...

I often see water features in the user-maps and cannot figure out if they are cosmetic or actual obstacles.  The little streaks of blue might look nice, but it's a pain if a player can't tell if they are a river to be crossed or simply something pretty.  I can always tell what is a river/lake and what isn't in the official maps.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Keunert

Pocket Tactics has two screens of the new 3d engine. looks very much like the old 2d game. tablet versions probable.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: SgtRock on May 18, 2014, 11:25:23 AM
I hear the next/last Close Combat 2D game(Gateway to Caen) will also be released on Steam.

It's already on Steam

SgtRock

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on May 18, 2014, 10:50:27 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on May 18, 2014, 11:25:23 AM
I hear the next/last Close Combat 2D game(Gateway to Caen) will also be released on Steam.

It's already on Steam

Wow, that was quick! ;D

What's the difference between this and Panther in the Fog besides the Brits?


Rayfer

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on May 18, 2014, 10:50:27 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on May 18, 2014, 11:25:23 AM
I hear the next/last Close Combat 2D game(Gateway to Caen) will also be released on Steam.

It's already on Steam

But apparently not available for sale until June 6th.  Was curious of the pricing but I didn't see one listed.

undercovergeek

http://www.wargamer.fr/home-of-wargamers-2014-welcome-home/

sneaky peeks

they keep saying WH40K isnt PZC - i dont think it means what they think it means

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

panzerde

Pike and Shot looks great. I want that nice, charcoal UI for Flashpoint Campaigns today. The maps also look like they're doing the same thing with elevations that JTS recently adopted, which is a good thing.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres