Main Menu

New Close Combat Game

Started by Rayfer, March 26, 2014, 03:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Apocalypse 31

This looks a lot like Blitzkrieg. I love that game. Hopefully we keep the same, realistic engagement ranges, too for this new Close Combat.

20 years and we finally get coop

GDS_Starfury

for all the whiz bang of an ALB theres something to be said for a no time limit to the death game of CC.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


SgtRock

The biggest change seems to be the focus on smaller tactical battles.

from Steve the developer
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3588386

QuoteYou will be leading a rifle company (plus attachments) through several major campaigns, rather than fighting a single operation, ordering large units around at the strategic level. So the new game will be much more focused on the tactical combat.

I just hope the campaign isn't too linear.

undercovergeek

the hope is then, if its a rifle company that actual pixeltruppen will last long enough to make a difference and you can grow some attachment to the little fellas

PAK

That poor bloody infantry is dying too fast to grow any attachment.  >:D

TacticalWargames

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 22, 2014, 12:39:28 PM
the hope is then, if its a rifle company that actual pixeltruppen will last long enough to make a difference and you can grow some attachment to the little fellas

Here, here..

CC2 was the best CC 2 game for Inf survivability. If the new game is the same as the recent games in this regard I wont be interested.

Boggit

We had a quick flick through this at Home of Wargamers. Main points arising were:
Fully 3-D - but can flick between 3-D, and traditional top down.
Houses and Buildings are fully destructable
Due late 2014, but Iain McNeil also mentioned early 2015 at HOW14, so I read Q4 2014 as an optimistic estimate.
Will be released on a multi platform basis.
3 Campaigns - Tunisia, Sicily, Normandy
Equipment upgrades (read replacement of kit) for each new campaign, reflecting historical changes
Ongoing experience for core troops
Dynamic operations - as with other CC games
Integrated Map editor to make your own scenarios

It all looked very pretty. I don't know that the game will be massively different in terms of mechanics, although new line of sight rules were mentioned to improve things. If you like CC, it looks different to traditional CC, and it seems there will be a lot of content (3 campaigns) that you rarely see with CC (save perhaps the Russian campaign one - Cross of Iron [IIRC?]).

As it's being written for a multi platform release I think there's scope to put in a variety of new stuff, although the chances are that will be a question of improved gameplay routines, as I recall the interface looked very similar to the older style at the conference. To be fair to Iain, and his team we were only looking at a pre-alpha game, so it really is far too early to comment with any certainty. All I can say is that Iain was enthusiastic about it, and it will be worth watching developments over the year before we get a clearer idea of what we will finally see.

The idea of following the progress of a famous Division throughout the war was discussed, and depending on how the Bloody First is received, you may be seeing one or more games focusing on the German experience, like the Gross Deutschland Division - or similar, and possibly even a foray into the Pacific! Practically, Slitherine will need to have an idea of demand for such extensions of the game system. I personally find the thought of these quite fun. But remember these are still early days, and plans can change depending on how enthusiastic the community is about such games.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: TacticalWargames on May 23, 2014, 10:35:09 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 22, 2014, 12:39:28 PM
the hope is then, if its a rifle company that actual pixeltruppen will last long enough to make a difference and you can grow some attachment to the little fellas

Here, here..

CC2 was the best CC 2 game for Inf survivability. If the new game is the same as the recent games in this regard I wont be interested.
I formed the distinct impression that with the "feature" emphasis on carried over/ongoing core unit experience through the campaigns, that there has to be some chance of survivability, as well as with with some of the less wounded returning to the ranks, otherwise, like you I can't see it working that well in practice. Of course, if it is your MO to frontally charge mg positions, or just you have bad luck during an artillery stonk, then I'd be disappointed to see too much survivability if "realism" were sacrificed for it. I think if you are a competant player, you should have a reasonable chance of survivability, with your lighter wounded returning in due course. I'd similarly expect new replacements for the dead, and seriously wounded to flesh out the ranks of the fallen, so keeping squad experience dynamic.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

TacticalWargames

Boggit..head first charges aren't my thing:). Still I do want to see firefights lasting a decent amount of time. Every tactical game out I think has high casualty rates compared to historical values. ALot of it prob down to self preservation, and I imagine lots of the game may be quite boring if your soldiers where prone to staying in cover for most of the attack. Sill I would like to see decent length firefights and a good chance for you to come out of it with relatively few casualties.

PipFromSlitherine

While these kind of balance things are still in flux, it has been a core design desire that your men will tend to survive well enough for you to become attached to them, and for them to gain experience and expertise as they fight their way across the various campaigns.  There are a number of levers we can move, and features we have come up with, to enable this.  Sorry I cannot be more specific, but more info will come out as these things gel during campaign balance :)

Cheers

Pip

SgtRock

Quote from: Boggit on May 23, 2014, 01:01:43 PM
We had a quick flick through this at Home of Wargamers. Main points arising were:
Fully 3-D - but can flick between 3-D, and traditional top down.
Houses and Buildings are fully destructable
Due late 2014, but Iain McNeil also mentioned early 2015 at HOW14, so I read Q4 2014 as an optimistic estimate.
Will be released on a multi platform basis.
3 Campaigns - Tunisia, Sicily, Normandy
Equipment upgrades (read replacement of kit) for each new campaign, reflecting historical changes
Ongoing experience for core troops
Dynamic operations - as with other CC games
Integrated Map editor to make your own scenarios

It all looked very pretty. I don't know that the game will be massively different in terms of mechanics, although new line of sight rules were mentioned to improve things. If you like CC, it looks different to traditional CC, and it seems there will be a lot of content (3 campaigns) that you rarely see with CC (save perhaps the Russian campaign one - Cross of Iron [IIRC?]).

As it's being written for a multi platform release I think there's scope to put in a variety of new stuff, although the chances are that will be a question of improved gameplay routines, as I recall the interface looked very similar to the older style at the conference. To be fair to Iain, and his team we were only looking at a pre-alpha game, so it really is far too early to comment with any certainty. All I can say is that Iain was enthusiastic about it, and it will be worth watching developments over the year before we get a clearer idea of what we will finally see.

The idea of following the progress of a famous Division throughout the war was discussed, and depending on how the Bloody First is received, you may be seeing one or more games focusing on the German experience, like the Gross Deutschland Division - or similar, and possibly even a foray into the Pacific! Practically, Slitherine will need to have an idea of demand for such extensions of the game system. I personally find the thought of these quite fun. But remember these are still early days, and plans can change depending on how enthusiastic the community is about such games.

Any mention of Quick Battles?

TacticalWargames


Nefaro

QuoteWill be released on a multi platform basis.

Scary possibilities abound.   ???

MikeGER

Fully 3D   yes , but IIRC with a fixed angle  (you cant rotate or tilt, just zoom in out along that 'ray') and a switch to top down view
only 1 story building ...in the first installment    so no sniper or light MGs in the church tower, Sigh

well, its only Alpha so some things may change/get implemented in the time to come.   
we need to see more screenshots or a little teasing vid  ;)

Boggit

Quote from: TacticalWargames on May 24, 2014, 05:27:10 AM
Boggit..head first charges aren't my thing:). Still I do want to see firefights lasting a decent amount of time. Every tactical game out I think has high casualty rates compared to historical values. ALot of it prob down to self preservation, and I imagine lots of the game may be quite boring if your soldiers where prone to staying in cover for most of the attack. Sill I would like to see decent length firefights and a good chance for you to come out of it with relatively few casualties.
I agree. What's not to like with that? It might not be truly realistic, but this is a game, and what you suggest adds to the fun. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat