Distant Worlds: Universe annouced!

Started by Lord Zimoa, March 13, 2014, 02:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tgb

I've been playing around with the Extended Universe Mod today and it's the bee's knees. Aside from addressing some balance issues and adding another dozen races or so, it also includes improvements to the graphics, sound, and look of the interface.  Highly recommended.





Grimnirsson

QuoteMy only complaint is that even on my new laptop this game takes a long time to load up.

What are your nb's specs W8t? I bought the German version of the game for cheap to see if my nb can run it - it can, but I see folks complaining about larger galaxies and mid to late game problems (frame rate, game slowing down etc.) so I am not sure with Universe...
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Darkspire

Quote from: W8taminute on May 25, 2014, 04:22:18 PM
My only complaint is that even on my new laptop this game takes a long time to load up.

Never been confirmed officially but confirmed physically that when DW loads it also loads the current theme and checks it for errors, confirmed physically in a few ways.

If you add files to a custom theme or alter a textfile when DW loads the theme will have the changes, no need to change themes once it has loaded to see the changes.

Easiest error to create, mix a gas and strategic resource on a planet type, load DW, DW will crash with the error in the theme while loading.

Delete defaultOptions in the app folder for the DW version number you are playing, it will then revert back to the default, vanilla, theme. This is the preferred manner for dealing with problems in custom themes that mange to get past the loading error check.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


mikeck

So I'm assuming that the extended the mod now works for universe?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

tgb

Quote from: mikeck on May 26, 2014, 08:24:32 AM
So I'm assuming that the extended the mod now works for universe?

Yes.

Kushan

Quote from: tgb on May 26, 2014, 08:45:26 AM
Quote from: mikeck on May 26, 2014, 08:24:32 AM
So I'm assuming that the extended the mod now works for universe?

Yes.

Make sure you get the right one. There is a mod called Distant Worlds Extended and one called Universe Extended. DW: Extended just adds some new races, while Universe Extended is a compilation mod that contains the first mod and a few others.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Ian C

Quote from: tgb on May 25, 2014, 09:29:43 PM
I've been playing around with the Extended Universe Mod today and it's the bee's knees. Aside from addressing some balance issues and adding another dozen races or so, it also includes improvements to the graphics, sound, and look of the interface.  Highly recommended.


Downloaded. Very nice. I may get to grips with my own mods at some point. Anyone know if you can have multiple images for the same race?

W8taminute

Quote from: Grimnirsson on May 26, 2014, 03:49:47 AM
QuoteMy only complaint is that even on my new laptop this game takes a long time to load up.

What are your nb's specs W8t? I bought the German version of the game for cheap to see if my nb can run it - it can, but I see folks complaining about larger galaxies and mid to late game problems (frame rate, game slowing down etc.) so I am not sure with Universe...

My nb has an Intel Quad Core i7 2.4GHz processor.  She's fairly fast when loading other games like Napoleon Total War for example.  But with DW it is noticeably slower.  There is no problem when loading the save games, it is the initial startup that is slow.  After playing now for a day I've gotten used to it though.  The game is really a great experience with so many subtle nuances to master. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Nefaro

Quote from: W8taminute on May 26, 2014, 11:19:29 AM
Quote from: Grimnirsson on May 26, 2014, 03:49:47 AM
QuoteMy only complaint is that even on my new laptop this game takes a long time to load up.

What are your nb's specs W8t? I bought the German version of the game for cheap to see if my nb can run it - it can, but I see folks complaining about larger galaxies and mid to late game problems (frame rate, game slowing down etc.) so I am not sure with Universe...

My nb has an Intel Quad Core i7 2.4GHz processor.  She's fairly fast when loading other games like Napoleon Total War for example.  But with DW it is noticeably slower.  There is no problem when loading the save games, it is the initial startup that is slow.  After playing now for a day I've gotten used to it though.  The game is really a great experience with so many subtle nuances to master.

The initial startup loading has always been slow, on every computer I had it installed.  I'm sure it'll be a bit faster if I put it on my desktop's SSD but I'll probably play it on one of my others more. 
I tend to just start it up and go get a beverage, do some laundry, or write a novel while it's loading.  :P

Ian C

#84
Started pre-warp. Finding my first viable colony and exploring is a real kick. Discovering other races equally fun, forged alliances and happen to be sat close to the real bad asses of the galaxy, a thoroughly evil race of warmongers.
30 years in and I have a pretty good situation. I'm allied with three races, trading well and now one of my outpost colonies got massacred by friends of the evil space bastards. I declare war on them and a bunch of alliances kick in like falling dominoes and next thing half the galaxy is up in arms. On top of this, I have pirates raiding my fringes, I'm into seeking some forgotten tech treasure and there's some weird subplot with the Ancients.
I'm personally overseeing operations of my prize 2nd Fleet, which has my top Admiral and two best Captains. I've not even started tweaking ship designs yet.

Superb game. Yeah, small text on the news feed and slow to load but simply one of the best games I've ever played.

Martok

Argh.  For some reason, only my copy of Return of the Shakturi and Legends are showing up as being registered at the moment -- the base game and Shadows don't even show up on the list, thus denying me the full $40 price break on Universe.  Have been waiting to hear back from support since yesterday afternoon. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 07:20:40 AM
Argh.  For some reason, only my copy of Return of the Shakturi and Legends are showing up as being registered at the moment -- the base game and Shadows don't even show up on the list, thus denying me the full $40 price break on Universe.  Have been waiting to hear back from support since yesterday afternoon.

Same thing happened to me. Luckily I was able to find the original email I received after I bought it.  :)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Kushan

Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 07:20:40 AM
Argh.  For some reason, only my copy of Return of the Shakturi and Legends are showing up as being registered at the moment -- the base game and Shadows don't even show up on the list, thus denying me the full $40 price break on Universe.  Have been waiting to hear back from support since yesterday afternoon.

If you have your serial numbers, you should be able to go into the Matrix member club and register them. After you log in, its on the right side below "member services".
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Yskonyn

Quote from: Kushan on May 28, 2014, 09:19:25 AM
Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 07:20:40 AM
Argh.  For some reason, only my copy of Return of the Shakturi and Legends are showing up as being registered at the moment -- the base game and Shadows don't even show up on the list, thus denying me the full $40 price break on Universe.  Have been waiting to hear back from support since yesterday afternoon.

If you have your serial numbers, you should be able to go into the Matrix member club and register them. After you log in, its on the right side below "member services".

This. Nowadays the system is automated. If you buy at the store the serial will be linked to your account. At the time of the original game's release and that of its first expansion you had to manually register your serial numbers.
If you kept your serials somewhere you can still manually register them.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Has any big DW mods been updated to Universe compatibility yet?

I played the Extended Mod awhile back, and it's quite nice for some extra variety.  :)  I was thinking more along the lines of themed mods, such as some of the Star Trek ones, perhaps.

Been doing some unusual PC hex wargaming (even some WW2 stuff  :o ) so I'll eventually get the upgrade before long.  Just wondering if the modders have been at it yet.