Battlefield Hardline Revealed

Started by RooksBailey, May 27, 2014, 09:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RooksBailey

I can't help but to be cynical when it comes to EA, but nonetheless this does look like the suits at EA have decided to muscle in on Counter Strike territory (and who can blame them with 2.5 million unique players per month?):

http://www.battlefield.com/hardline

Cops and robbers, terrorists and SWAT teams, what a coincidence.  C:-)

Not saying this might not be good, but I am saying that it will probably take seven months for it to be patched into a workable state.... ::)

EDIT: the comments under the Facebook announcement are hilarious!  Yeah, I don't think people are a) prepared to forgive EA for the BF4 debacle, and b) for what certainly appears to be a desperate attempt to get in on the popularity of CSGO and Payday 2.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

RooksBailey

#1
Codenamed 'Omaha', this is leaked video of Battlefield: Hardline (watch it quickly before it is pulled again!).  Like I expected, with the exception of the zip lines and iron sights (and the requisite BF vehicles), it looks JUST LIKE CSGO!  They even have a hostage rescue mode!  ;D



Regardless, this could be interesting.  But seeing EA's awful record with releasing terrible SP campaigns, and unfinished code on release day, I am not holding my breath for this game to ever materialize the way I would want it to.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

undercovergeek

I've got to fess up and say I think it looks great and the change of direction is intriguing

RooksBailey

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 28, 2014, 03:58:46 PM
I've got to fess up and say I think it looks great and the change of direction is intriguing

I think one of the reasons why I have been enjoying CSGO is precisely because it isn't another "modern warfare" title.  The switch to law enforcement/terrorists & criminals is refreshing.  But again: this is EA.  I have no confidence in them at this point.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

undercovergeek

lol - yes i see what you mean - i managed to keep my EA/FPS experiences to console so havent suffered the woes that PC users have but ive read enough

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: RooksBailey on May 28, 2014, 04:27:10 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 28, 2014, 03:58:46 PM
I've got to fess up and say I think it looks great and the change of direction is intriguing

I think one of the reasons why I have been enjoying CSGO is precisely because it isn't another "modern warfare" title.  The switch to law enforcement/terrorists & criminals is refreshing.  But again: this is EA.  I have no confidence in them at this point.

I have a feeling I agree with you -- that EA is going to bet that the appeal of semi-realism elements like law enforcement/terrorists/criminals is niche. This is despite the fact that one of the most common elements I've heard from folks who enjoy CS is exactly that aspect, and that 2.5 million shooter-inclined gamers a month are choosing to spend some of their time not playing EA shooters.

Wasn't SWAT4 an EA release?
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: skeptical.platypus on May 29, 2014, 12:30:43 PM

Wasn't SWAT4 an EA release?

Vivendi. By Irrational Games. SWAT was originally a Sierra franchise that was born from the Police Quest series, IIRC.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 29, 2014, 12:34:36 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on May 29, 2014, 12:30:43 PM

Wasn't SWAT4 an EA release?

Vivendi. By Irrational Games. SWAT was originally a Sierra franchise that was born from the Police Quest series, IIRC.

Somehow I got it in my head that EA acquired Sierra. They may very well have. I remember at least one of the Police Quest series, and strugglingly mightily to avoid getting attacked when a dude threw his keys in the wa---- OMFG I JUST PICTURED CHER IN A THONG AAAAUUUUUGGGGG. . . .
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Arctic Blast

So, I got in for Beta access and tried this for a bit over the weekend (apply through Battlelog and you're pretty much in within a day or 2). Some thoughts :

-Two play modes currently exist. Blood Money sees 2 teams grabbing cash and running it to their vault. You can also steal money from the other team's vault. This generally works pretty well, except that one of the teams is the cops...who are apparently engaged in running gun battles to rob a bank? Huh? This could just be a lack of created assets for another gang, but it was a bit weird. The mode works well, though. Heist is the other mode, and I truly have no idea how this works. The cops are defending and the robbers are coming in to steal 'the package'. But there are also two points for the cops to defend, though sometimes that didn't seem to matter? I found this mode confusing although the basic premise is solid. This might have been early access glitchy-ness, though. I also might have just missed something.

-Only one map exists, but it's pretty good. Multi-story buildings all over the place allow for gun battles from floor to floor in multiple places at once. It's a really well designed level with a lot of choke points, intersections, and ways around and through structures.

-Every single vehicle is drive-able. Street bikes, armored SWAT vans, sedans, little bird choppers, everything. It is weird that the robbers have little bird gunships and their own APC-type vehicles, though. And good grief are cars explosive!

-Grappling hook gun for the win! It's currently limited to firing at specific surfaces, but that would hopefully expand. Ziplines are always awesome.

-As you play, you earn 'money'. This isn't a pay to win sort of deal, as the money is basically just upgrade points under a different name. Spend the money on guns, gear and whatever else. It's really no different from the BF3 and BF4 upgrade system, just with a bit more control over what you're going after.

-As a BF4 player, I really don't know why I would purchase this right now. It's simply too Battlefield. There isn't much that makes the game play feel at all unique or to differentiate the experience from just loading up an urban BF4 map. It feels like a really polished mod or something that should be sold as a BF4 DLC pack. Also, charging full AAA prices for this thing basically guarantees that it'll be DOA. Why in the world would anyone buy this when they could grab BF4 for the same cost, or buy either Payday 2 or CS:GO for a third of the price? I suspect this price is going to rapidly come down, because right now it's insane.

I'll keep an eye on it, but it's pretty 'meh' right now.

undercovergeek

#9
do you have a link to beta application?

edit 1 - found it - its the massive orange button on the landing page

edit 2 - applied, i dont have BF4 and think it looks great

Arctic Blast

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 16, 2014, 04:06:04 AM
do you have a link to beta application?

edit 1 - found it - its the massive orange button on the landing page

edit 2 - applied, i dont have BF4 and think it looks great

D'oh! Here's a link to the beta application for others who might have interest : http://www.battlefield.com/hardline/beta

I'm pretty sure that you can also access the Beta form via Battlelog.

RooksBailey

Quote from: Arctic Blast on June 15, 2014, 05:02:10 PM
So, I got in for Beta access and tried this for a bit over the weekend (apply through Battlelog and you're pretty much in within a day or 2). Some thoughts :

-Two play modes currently exist. Blood Money sees 2 teams grabbing cash and running it to their vault. You can also steal money from the other team's vault. This generally works pretty well, except that one of the teams is the cops...who are apparently engaged in running gun battles to rob a bank? Huh? This could just be a lack of created assets for another gang, but it was a bit weird. The mode works well, though. Heist is the other mode, and I truly have no idea how this works. The cops are defending and the robbers are coming in to steal 'the package'. But there are also two points for the cops to defend, though sometimes that didn't seem to matter? I found this mode confusing although the basic premise is solid. This might have been early access glitchy-ness, though. I also might have just missed something.

-Only one map exists, but it's pretty good. Multi-story buildings all over the place allow for gun battles from floor to floor in multiple places at once. It's a really well designed level with a lot of choke points, intersections, and ways around and through structures.

-Every single vehicle is drive-able. Street bikes, armored SWAT vans, sedans, little bird choppers, everything. It is weird that the robbers have little bird gunships and their own APC-type vehicles, though. And good grief are cars explosive!

-Grappling hook gun for the win! It's currently limited to firing at specific surfaces, but that would hopefully expand. Ziplines are always awesome.

-As you play, you earn 'money'. This isn't a pay to win sort of deal, as the money is basically just upgrade points under a different name. Spend the money on guns, gear and whatever else. It's really no different from the BF3 and BF4 upgrade system, just with a bit more control over what you're going after.

-As a BF4 player, I really don't know why I would purchase this right now. It's simply too Battlefield. There isn't much that makes the game play feel at all unique or to differentiate the experience from just loading up an urban BF4 map. It feels like a really polished mod or something that should be sold as a BF4 DLC pack. Also, charging full AAA prices for this thing basically guarantees that it'll be DOA. Why in the world would anyone buy this when they could grab BF4 for the same cost, or buy either Payday 2 or CS:GO for a third of the price? I suspect this price is going to rapidly come down, because right now it's insane.

I'll keep an eye on it, but it's pretty 'meh' right now.

Good overview!  I got my beta invite but haven't given it a try yet because I just recently got BF4, so that game has been dominating my game time.   :)  Your last point about Hardline being an overpriced mod is one that even the fellas at PC Gamer have stated in a very cynical vid:



I'm gonna give it a try, but based on everything I have read and seen, this is a game that is destined for the bargain bin - much like EA's now abandoned Medal of Honor reboot (which was just Battlefield-lite).
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway