GTA series - whats the best of the bunch

Started by undercovergeek, May 27, 2014, 06:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 29, 2014, 06:18:54 AM
thanks for all comments guys - i think im going to go for IV on the PC

mods you say JH?

Yes. Tons of them. My personal favorite is one that turns the game into a police simulator. You pull people over, write tickets, patrol e streets, stop crimes, etc. very well done.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 29, 2014, 06:24:42 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 29, 2014, 06:18:54 AM
thanks for all comments guys - i think im going to go for IV on the PC

mods you say JH?

Yes. Tons of them. My personal favorite is one that turns the game into a police simulator. You pull people over, write tickets, patrol e streets, stop crimes, etc. very well done.

lol, i definitely made the right choice then - have you got a link?

BanzaiCat

I echo W8's sentiments in that Vice City was my favorite of all of them...and it was the only one I actually played all the way through to the end. Every other one, including IV, would get its hooks into me for maybe 10 hours of gameplay before I'm bored with the storyline and start screwing around with cops and causing mass casualty incidents, but that itself gets boring even faster.

I tend to go through cycles with GTA games, especially with IV and San Andreas...I start playing it, enjoying it and having fun, then it gets dull, I stop playing, uninstall, later miss it and reinstall and start over...repeat.


Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 29, 2014, 07:03:45 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 29, 2014, 06:24:42 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 29, 2014, 06:18:54 AM
thanks for all comments guys - i think im going to go for IV on the PC

mods you say JH?

Yes. Tons of them. My personal favorite is one that turns the game into a police simulator. You pull people over, write tickets, patrol e streets, stop crimes, etc. very well done.

lol, i definitely made the right choice then - have you got a link?

Start here: http://www.lcpdfr.com/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


undercovergeek

im very grateful - it looks awesome  8)

TacticalWargames

I enjoyed the biker episodes. Apart from that I  feel GTA 1 and 2 for me are my favourites. Most likely in a minority on that score though.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Gamersgate has a Rockstar bundle sale on this weekend.  You can get GTA IV plus the two DLC expansions and one other game such as Max Payne 3 or LA Noire all for $18 USD.

http://www.gamersgate.com/rockstar

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: RooksBailey on May 28, 2014, 10:15:30 PM
I just wanted to follow up on my warning about people with Win 8 experiencing difficulties running the game.  I just reinstalled my copy and gave it a run with no problems save the need to remove GfWL (you can't save a game with it running).  There is a file you can download to disable GfWL, so that takes care of that (but it DOES prevent you from playing online).

Do you have a link to these instructions on how to get it working and get around GFWL?  I don't care about online play so hoping this works for me.

RooksBailey

#24
Yeah, it is easy (sorry, I should have included the link).  Just download this:

Download XLiveless here:  http://gtaforums.com/topic/388658-relgtaiv-xliveless/

Extract the file and move the xlive.dll (I think that it what it is called, there is a readme if I have the name wrong) to your Steam/GTA4 folder.

Start the game but don't sign in to the GTA social club (choose the play offline option).  The game will now run without GfWL and you will be able to autosave and save your game as designed. 

Another tip:  GTAIV doesn't have any anti-aliasing, so the game looks horrid at times.  However, if you go into your nVidia or AMD control panel, you can force anti-aliasing on.  It made for a noticeable improvement for me:



Not as good as native AA, but it is something.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Grim.Reaper


Nefaro

Quote from: skeptical.platypus on May 28, 2014, 10:21:46 AM

Very much agreed re Sleeping Dogs. As far as open world games I've played, it's Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, and GTA IV, in that order.

No Just Cause 2 in your open world action list?   Awww.   :(

RooksBailey

Quote from: Nefaro on May 31, 2014, 02:50:05 AM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on May 28, 2014, 10:21:46 AM

Very much agreed re Sleeping Dogs. As far as open world games I've played, it's Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, and GTA IV, in that order.

No Just Cause 2 in your open world action list?   Awww.   :(

Wow, you guys have given me so many of these sandbox third-person action games to check out!  I was never a fan of the genre, but Saints Row III made me a rabid fan (I just completed that game - it was literally one of the best campaigns I ever played!  Hilarious as well as epic!).  Now I have revisited GTA IV and am discovering that I really like this game, too (I originally hated it!).  Now I have to check out Sleeping Dogs and Just Cause 2!  I don't know how I missed these games!

Thanks for all the leads!

BTW: this is from the early mission where you have to kill "the rat" for your new Russian boss (with the F name...Faustin?  Something like that).  In my game, the suspect ran away and jumped into his car to get away.  As he drove off, I emptied a magazine into the car and managed to kill the guy:



Did this play out differently for anybody else?  I am curious just how much wiggle room there is in these missions.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

BanzaiCat

If you've not tried the Saints Row series, they're usually discounted on Steam; I have SR 2 and 3 and it's basically GTA but it has a lot more tongue-in-cheek attitude as to what it actually is. Not that GTA isn't like that considering what you can do and get away with, but Saints Row seems to have more fun doing it.

W8taminute

^Right now Saints Row III is available free if you're an XBOXLIVE member.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk