Distant Worlds: Universe annouced!

Started by Lord Zimoa, March 13, 2014, 02:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Yskonyn

There is a very nice mod released by Das123 which changes parts of the UI to a much nicer variant.

DW Extended has been updated to Universe

some minor mods are coming in too. No complete overhauls yet like a complete star trek mod.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Martok

So I got my issues worked out, and was able to purchase and download/install Universe.  Huzzah! 


Only problem is...now I'm not getting any music.  It fires up during the intro, but then it's completely silent when I'm playing an actual game; only the sound effects work.  Anyone else experiencing this? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 04:20:04 PM
So I got my issues worked out, and was able to purchase and download/install Universe.  Huzzah! 


Only problem is...now I'm not getting any music.  It fires up during the intro, but then it's completely silent when I'm playing an actual game; only the sound effects work.  Anyone else experiencing this?

No, but that's usually how I play all of my games anyway.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

W8taminute

That's weird Martok.  I'm not having any issues with the music or the sound effects.  Do you have the proper device selected under the options menu?  Either the inherent sound card or software simulated?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bbmike

I should add that I registered through Steam and installed it the entire game/expansions through it. One advantage to that is you can verify your install through Steam.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Darkspire

Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 04:20:04 PM
So I got my issues worked out, and was able to purchase and download/install Universe.  Huzzah! 


Only problem is...now I'm not getting any music.  It fires up during the intro, but then it's completely silent when I'm playing an actual game; only the sound effects work.  Anyone else experiencing this?

I am the same, music during the intro and then just sound effects only during the game, has been since I started on Shadows. I use 1by1, It has a small footprint and works fine with DW, Winamp is better but takes up to four times the system resources.

The problem for me is the driver for my on board audio, I did a rebuild a few months ago and for some unknown reason the drivers I knew to work with it no longer do so, I have a new sound card on my bucket list but as DW is the only game this happens with I am none to sure whether I will bother.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


Ian C

Quote from: Nefaro on May 28, 2014, 02:48:05 PM

Just wondering if the modders have been at it yet.

What kind of mods are people most interested in? Original storylines/backgrounds? Total Conversions - if so, which ones?


Aside from this, I have some tips for starting games which are not readily obvious:

-If you want a full continental planet to start with, on New Game/Your Empire pick 'Home World' -'Excellent'.
-To have sandbox play, uncheck ALL the victory condition boxes.

Darkspire

Quote from: Ian C on May 29, 2014, 03:35:54 AM

Aside from this, I have some tips for starting games which are not readily obvious:

-If you want a full continental planet to start with, on New Game/Your Empire pick 'Home World' -'Excellent'.
-To have sandbox play, uncheck ALL the victory condition boxes.

A) You will only get a continental planet if that is the races default planet type, there are five other types, Marshy Swamp, Ocean, Desert, Ice and Volcanic that they could end up with.

B) To have sandbox play, uncheck ALL the victory condition boxes and ALL the story lines.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


Martok

Quote from: bbmike on May 28, 2014, 07:00:02 PM
Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 04:20:04 PM
So I got my issues worked out, and was able to purchase and download/install Universe.  Huzzah! 


Only problem is...now I'm not getting any music.  It fires up during the intro, but then it's completely silent when I'm playing an actual game; only the sound effects work.  Anyone else experiencing this?

No, but that's usually how I play all of my games anyway.
Really?  That would be just too eerie for me.  I've gotta have the music playing in the background. 




Quote from: W8taminute on May 28, 2014, 07:05:09 PM
That's weird Martok.  I'm not having any issues with the music or the sound effects.  Do you have the proper device selected under the options menu?  Either the inherent sound card or software simulated?
I have to admit, I forgot to check.  I'm currently downloading DW: Universe for the Win7 half of my hard drive (yesterday I installed it on the XP half), so I'll have to wait to go back and look. 




Quote from: Darkspire on May 28, 2014, 07:52:00 PM
Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2014, 04:20:04 PM
So I got my issues worked out, and was able to purchase and download/install Universe.  Huzzah! 


Only problem is...now I'm not getting any music.  It fires up during the intro, but then it's completely silent when I'm playing an actual game; only the sound effects work.  Anyone else experiencing this?

I am the same, music during the intro and then just sound effects only during the game, has been since I started on Shadows. I use 1by1, It has a small footprint and works fine with DW, Winamp is better but takes up to four times the system resources.

The problem for me is the driver for my on board audio, I did a rebuild a few months ago and for some unknown reason the drivers I knew to work with it no longer do so, I have a new sound card on my bucket list but as DW is the only game this happens with I am none to sure whether I will bother.

Darkspire
Odd. 

I'm not sure what the issue is for me.  Unlike yourself, I didn't have any problems getting the music to play for Shadows, so you'd think it would've worked just fine for Universe too.  <shrug>  Ah well; I'll fiddle around with it a bit and see if I can figure anything out. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Martok

Okay, this is getting weirder:  The music plays just fine when I run Universe on the Win7 half of my hard drive.  It's only the copy of Universe on the XP half where I'm having trouble getting the music to play.  ??? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Grimnirsson

QuoteTotal Conversions - if so, which ones?

Warhammer 40k  O0
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Ian C

The beta patch is up:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3620642


CRASH FIXES
- Fixed crash in ship design screen when changing image scaling
- Fixed crash when generating ship designs
- Fixed rare crash in game editor when adding asteroid fields
- Fixed rare crash with fleets
- Fixed rare crash with processing empire messages
- Fixed rare crash when identifying raidable colonies for pirates

BUG FIXES
- Steam Achievements fixed, should be working again now!
- Manually cancelled Deep Cover intelligence missions no longer continue to reveal enemy map for rest of game
- Fixed bug with loading troops when first non-garrisoned troop is too big for troop bay
- Fixed research and ship designs to not auto-update when edit empire in game editor, unless player has ship design automated
- Fixed occasional invisible space monsters
- Ensure empires properly cleared when using existing savegame as galaxy map for new game
- Ensure that ruins with delayed events also getting properly investigated

DISPLAY AND USER INTERFACE
- Reviewed all in-game font scaling and anti-aliasing and reworked font support to take newer Windows operating system scaling into account. Font size and clarity should now be more consistent across all systems.
- Enlarged and clarified fonts: Diplomacy screen, scrolling message list, tutorial screen, cash and income display
- Added Introductory Game button in Start New Game screen, we recommend this as a first game for all new players
- Moved PreWarp tutorial to last based on player feedback

OTHER
- Added a way to disable the intro movie in the Startup.ini file in the DW installation folder. This may help with some startup black screen issues by manually disabling the intro movie.
- Significant performance improvements
- Improved look of in-system background nebula clouds
- Pirates retain protection arrangements for minimum period before cancelling, this should also help with the pre-warp tutorial
- Improved randomness of starting government types in new games (for other empires, when random govt selected)
- Increased maximum event delay to 32000 days (from 10000)

sandman2575

The font improvements are reason enough to install this beta. 

Ian C

Where is the 'Quick Start' game option mentioned in the manual? (p.30) :

QuoteQuick Start
Selecting "Quick Start" on the Main Menu allows the player to jump into a
preconfigured game with a minimal of setup.



OJsDad

Quote from: Ian C on May 29, 2014, 03:35:54 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 28, 2014, 02:48:05 PM

Just wondering if the modders have been at it yet.

What kind of mods are people most interested in? Original storylines/backgrounds? Total Conversions - if so, which ones?


Aside from this, I have some tips for starting games which are not readily obvious:

-If you want a full continental planet to start with, on New Game/Your Empire pick 'Home World' -'Excellent'.
-To have sandbox play, uncheck ALL the victory condition boxes.

Set Tech to Very Expensive makes for a more drawn out game that doesn't feel like a click fest.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.