Distant Worlds: Universe annouced!

Started by Lord Zimoa, March 13, 2014, 02:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ian C

Quote from: Darkspire on May 30, 2014, 04:19:19 PM
Quote from: Ian C on May 30, 2014, 04:10:03 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 30, 2014, 12:16:08 PM

I solved this problem by getting a Kindle Fire tablet.

Ditto. Highly recommended. PDF manuals are now a pleasure to read.

I have toyed with the idea of going all TNG, do you have any idea how many PDF's you can store on the default medium? Did you upgrade the memory to hold more? I have hundreds and hundreds, would be good to to be able to access them easier than a second monitor.

Darkspire

8GB or 16GB storage on a Kindle Fire HD so I guess that's a lot of pdf's for either version. Plus you can read books on it, surf the net, listen to music, play games and watch tv. It fits in a large pocket and you can read it anywhere. It also beats having to sit at a chair to use a pc when you need to check a forum and such. Single best techie purchase I made in the past two years.

Darkspire

Thank you  :)

I will have a look on Amazon and see what the damage is.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


Martok

Incidentally, getting my Steam key and installing Universe on Steam was entirely painless.  I've heard of some folks having issues, but I'm grateful to have not been one of them.  :) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Quote from: Darkspire on May 30, 2014, 05:00:26 PM
Thank you  :)

I will have a look on Amazon and see what the damage is.

Darkspire

Go to B&N and look at Nook.  Unlocked, Micro SD card expandable, Google Play, more usable internal memory. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Nefaro

#124
Quote from: Darkspire on May 30, 2014, 04:19:19 PM
Quote from: Ian C on May 30, 2014, 04:10:03 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 30, 2014, 12:16:08 PM

I solved this problem by getting a Kindle Fire tablet.

Ditto. Highly recommended. PDF manuals are now a pleasure to read.

I have toyed with the idea of going all TNG, do you have any idea how many PDF's you can store on the default medium? Did you upgrade the memory to hold more? I have hundreds and hundreds, would be good to to be able to access them easier than a second monitor.

Darkspire

I think mine came with 3 or 4 GB of storage space and I still have about 1.5 GB free despite all my PDFs, books, and a few games.   There are tons of PDF manuals on it.  When they're typically only 1 to 10 MB apiece.. it would take a LOT of manuals to fill it up.

I just ended up with a Kindle because 1) I already use Amazon 2) the price wasn't bad and 3) I knew it supported the file formats I wanted to use at the time 4) the size was nice and small for the screen size.

OJsDad

You dirty rotten scoundrels, I caved and just purchased.  Going to be awhile before it downloads and I can play.  Good think I landed a job before being laid off, other wise I'd be going nuts right now.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Martok

^MUAHAHAHAHA  >:D 


(Also, congrats on landing the job before getting the pink slip. O0 ) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Martok

Incidentally, Rock, Paper, Shotgun loves it... 


Quote
No tease before the jump here, let's get straight to it. Distant Worlds: Universe is my favourite space strategy game. Not my favourite space strategy game released this week and not my favourite space strategy game released this year. It's the definitive version of the best space strategy game I've ever played and I want to share the excitement with everyone
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Quote from: Martok on May 31, 2014, 11:40:30 AM
^MUAHAHAHAHA  >:D 


(Also, congrats on landing the job before getting the pink slip. O0 )

Already working on an AAR.  Should have the first post up tonight.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Anguille

Quote from: OJsDad on May 31, 2014, 03:38:28 PM
Quote from: Martok on May 31, 2014, 11:40:30 AM
^MUAHAHAHAHA  >:D 


(Also, congrats on landing the job before getting the pink slip. O0 )

Already working on an AAR.  Should have the first post up tonight.
Excellent!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: OJsDad on May 31, 2014, 03:38:28 PM
Quote from: Martok on May 31, 2014, 11:40:30 AM
^MUAHAHAHAHA  >:D 


(Also, congrats on landing the job before getting the pink slip. O0 )

Already working on an AAR.  Should have the first post up tonight.

Great...I am torn whether to buy the expansion...previous versions have just sat on my hard drive.

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

steve58

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 29, 2014, 11:06:15 AM
The font improvements are reason enough to install this beta.

I've also installed the 12noon Display Changer II app which really seems to help even more. 

I have a 1920x1080 monitor and the font size in some of the windows was still too small after the latest update.  I came across this app on the MG games forums and it does help.  I used it to created a 1440x900 configuration XML file and the app uses it when I run DW:U.  The app changes to 1440x900, runs DW:U and when I exit DW:U, switches back to my 1920x1080 resolution.  All the text is much easier to read (at least for me).
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: steve58 on May 31, 2014, 08:01:17 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on May 29, 2014, 11:06:15 AM
The font improvements are reason enough to install this beta.

I've also installed the 12noon Display Changer II app which really seems to help even more. 

I have a 1920x1080 monitor and the font size in some of the windows was still too small after the latest update.  I came across this app on the MG games forums and it does help.  I used it to created a 1440x900 configuration XML file and the app uses it when I run DW:U.  The app changes to 1440x900, runs DW:U and when I exit DW:U, switches back to my 1920x1080 resolution.  All the text is much easier to read (at least for me).

Great tool...been looking for something like this!

bbmike

I recently discovered something else to help me see the tiny text on a 1920x1080 display. Reading glasses. :coolsmiley:  :-[
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak