Main Menu

WITP Admirals Edition

Started by magnus, June 02, 2014, 04:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

magnus

 How is the AI to play against?

Is it setup for the AI to take control of convoys or supply or anything else that cuts down on the micromanaging?

I never played the version before this one but I did play the old DOS one a lot.

Thanks for any info on this.

I have read the numerous threads on Matrix but it turns into a love/hate splatter - fest without too much real info.

Nefaro

I only played UV, of the series, but the interface was a damn sluggish mess. 

Unless there was some AI assistance added for the logistics in WitP, I don't think there is.  Perhaps they added it though?

Herman Hum

In the original WitP, you could assign turn control over to the AI for regions such as China.  In AE, that is no longer possible.  You are micro-managing everything.

There is an auto-convoy feature that you can use, but I don't think it works very well.  IMO, you are pretty much forced to micro-manage the heck out of everything.  Of course, you could just ignore certain aspects of the game such as Japanese manufacturing.  That doesn't mean that the AI handle's it intelligently.  It just means that you are ignoring it and allowing the game to run with whatever settings the Japanese industry originally had. 

The same goes for the pilot management/training system.  You can micro-manage the heck out of it or just ignore it and take your chances that the AI will produce something adequate for your needs.  I do not equate 'ignore' with 'competent AI control'.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

chemkid

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3621688

...there's a recent discussion about the AI on the wipt-ae Forum at Matrix.

Boggit

I recommend you PM either/both Atilla60, Jejo68. They are two EXPERTS on the game, Jejo68 rather more so as he is winning. They have been playing the game for around 4/5 years now. :o 8)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Staggerwing

^And they are still on turn 3!  ;D
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

SgtRock

Quote from: magnus on June 02, 2014, 04:05:33 PM
How is the AI to play against?

Is it setup for the AI to take control of convoys or supply or anything else that cuts down on the micromanaging?

I never played the version before this one but I did play the old DOS one a lot.

Thanks for any info on this.

I have read the numerous threads on Matrix but it turns into a love/hate splatter - fest without too much real info.

If you don't like micromanagement, WITP-AE is not the game for you! The AI is scripted and there are multiple scripts for the main campaign scenarios, it's not great but it will keep you going, it will take 3-6 months just to learn the game! That said, there is no other game (PC or board) that lets you fight a war at this level of detail, covering more than half the world. I currently have a game going for 2 years now (real time 2012 - 2014), it's mid Feb 1943 in my campaign.


Boggit

Quote from: SgtRock on June 03, 2014, 10:27:20 AM
Quote from: magnus on June 02, 2014, 04:05:33 PM
How is the AI to play against?

Is it setup for the AI to take control of convoys or supply or anything else that cuts down on the micromanaging?

I never played the version before this one but I did play the old DOS one a lot.

Thanks for any info on this.

I have read the numerous threads on Matrix but it turns into a love/hate splatter - fest without too much real info.

If you don't like micromanagement, WITP-AE is not the game for you! The AI is scripted and there are multiple scripts for the main campaign scenarios, it's not great but it will keep you going, it will take 3-6 months just to learn the game! That said, there is no other game (PC or board) that lets you fight a war at this level of detail, covering more than half the world. I currently have a game going for 2 years now (real time 2012 - 2014), it's mid Feb 1943 in my campaign.
It's a scary thought. Do you ever get to play anything else, or do you get sucked in to "just one more turn....." :o
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Nefaro

I've even been tempted to get this on sale, despite my aversion to the heavy workload interface.  But it would never get the amount of attention required to get stuck into.

SgtRock

QuoteIt's a scary thought. Do you ever get to play anything else, or do you get sucked in to "just one more turn....." :o

Last year I played almost nothing but, Guild Wars 2.  In total I've played about 500 turns of WITP-AE and times I've played nothing else. It really feels like you are in charge of a real war, it takes 3 to 6 months to plan and pull off a major operation, selecting & train the troops, train pilots, build up of supplies & fuel, build up support bases, assemble the ships, conduct the air and sub ops, weeks/months of assembling fleet trains to move troops, supply, fuel and aircraft around the world. To me there is the "one more turn" as there is always something more to do, upgrade ships/aircraft, moving pilots, creating one more task force to move something.
 


Herman Hum

Quote from: Boggit on June 03, 2014, 05:46:53 AM
I recommend you PM either/both Atilla60, Jejo68. They are two EXPERTS on the game, Jejo68 rather more so as he is winning. They have been playing the game for around 4/5 years now. :o 8)

I wonder if any experts can help me out with a game question.

I have a damaged battleship and am trying to decide which port to send it.  I have a level-8 port with 130 HQ naval support squads and a level-5 port with 821 HQ naval support squads.  There are no shipyards.

Does the size of a port increase the rate of repair as well as the ability to repair more serious damage?
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

BanzaiCat

TRUST me, and everyone else on this thread, that WitP is not for the gaming faint of heart.

I wrote the manual to the original game - not sure if they redid it in the years since that happened, but holy hell, that was a nightmare of a book to put together! I remember little of the game other than that; this was 2006 or so I think.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Herman Hum on June 03, 2014, 02:20:05 PM
Quote from: Boggit on June 03, 2014, 05:46:53 AM
I recommend you PM either/both Atilla60, Jejo68. They are two EXPERTS on the game, Jejo68 rather more so as he is winning. They have been playing the game for around 4/5 years now. :o 8)

I wonder if any experts can help me out with a game question.

I have a damaged battleship and am trying to decide which port to send it.  I have a level-8 port with 130 HQ naval support squads and a level-5 port with 821 HQ naval support squads.  There are no shipyards.

Does the size of a port increase the rate of repair as well as the ability to repair more serious damage?

I forget now but the matrix forum would have got you 20 replies by now

Boggit

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 03, 2014, 02:35:11 PM
TRUST me, and everyone else on this thread, that WitP is not for the gaming faint of heart.

I wrote the manual to the original game - not sure if they redid it in the years since that happened, but holy hell, that was a nightmare of a book to put together! I remember little of the game other than that; this was 2006 or so I think.
I have the original game, and it was a big purchase at the time so I never thought to re-invent the wheel and buy the AE for what appears to be pretty much the same game. If I'm wrong correct me. I will say I found the manual pretty helpful, so thanks for the work you did. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

BanzaiCat

Thanks, Boggit. You're much braver than I - I didn't even want a copy of it after I was done.  :-[

My only regret was not getting to the rewrite of UV, which was in desperate need of it.