Main Menu

WITP Admirals Edition

Started by magnus, June 02, 2014, 04:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

SgtRock

QuoteI wonder if any experts can help me out with a game question.

I have a damaged battleship and am trying to decide which port to send it.  I have a level-8 port with 130 HQ naval support squads and a level-5 port with 821 HQ naval support squads.  There are no shipyards.

Does the size of a port increase the rate of repair as well as the ability to repair more serious damage?

Two types of Damage, Minor & Major
Minor can be fix in any harbor that meets the size limit of the ship, for a battleship size 5 or better
Major damage can only be fixed by a port with a shipyard and you'll need a shipyard of 40 or better for a Battleship.

Bigger ports and shipyards will fix things quicker. Also be careful of ships with flooding damage if a ship has flooding damage > 70% it may sink before reaching a port.

I have a damaged Battleship that's 74 days from a port/shipyard that can fix it.



Herman Hum

Many thanks.

I have a second query that you might be able to help.  I have captured Port Moresby and sent ACM to lay mines to protect the port.  The Operations Report confirms that the ships are laying the appropriate defensive minefields.  I have ACM loaded with supplies and disbanded in the port.   In ports like Rabaul and Truk, the ACM prevent deterioration of my defensive minefields.  However, they continue to deteriorate in Moresby.  The only difference I can see is that PM has no fuel while Rabaul and Truk do.  All bases have very good supply and no damage.

I read in the manual that ACMs only need supply in order to maintain a defensive minefield as long as they are disbanded into the port.  I believe ACM can maintain/service 150 mines each (at least the seem to do so in Truk and Rabaul).  I only have about 120 mines in Moresby.  Am I missing something?  Is there also a fuel requirement for the ACM to function properly?  I read the manual about the ACM pretty closely and couldn't find any reference to a fuel requirement.  Is it a new change?
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

ArizonaTank

#17
The thing that WITP and WITP AE portray better than any other game (computer or board) is the that the War in the Pacific was a logistical exercise.  You need to not only get the troops to where you need them, but also the supplies, aircraft and support ships. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

SgtRock

Quote from: Herman Hum on June 03, 2014, 04:36:53 PM
Many thanks.

I have a second query that you might be able to help.  I have captured Port Moresby and sent ACM to lay mines to protect the port.  The Operations Report confirms that the ships are laying the appropriate defensive minefields.  I have ACM loaded with supplies and disbanded in the port.   In ports like Rabaul and Truk, the ACM prevent deterioration of my defensive minefields.  However, they continue to deteriorate in Moresby.  The only difference I can see is that PM has no fuel while Rabaul and Truk do.  All bases have very good supply and no damage.

I read in the manual that ACMs only need supply in order to maintain a defensive minefield as long as they are disbanded into the port.  I believe ACM can maintain/service 150 mines each (at least the seem to do so in Truk and Rabaul).  I only have about 120 mines in Moresby.  Am I missing something?  Is there also a fuel requirement for the ACM to function properly?  I read the manual about the ACM pretty closely and couldn't find any reference to a fuel requirement.  Is it a new change?

Not sure about any changes but, mine fields do deteriorate over time. ACM's should be in a Task Force, undocked at the port to maintain a mine field.


Nefaro

I was feeling exceptionally masochistic and picked up WITP-AE on the sale. 

God have mercy on my carpal tunneled soul.  :buck2:

panzerde

Quote from: Nefaro on June 05, 2014, 01:55:02 PM
I was feeling exceptionally masochistic and picked up WITP-AE on the sale. 

God have mercy on my carpal tunneled soul.  :buck2:

Heh, I really thought you were going to resist on this one. I have to admit to being tempted, too...but I'm afraid I just won't play it enough. Let's see if I can make it through the sale without hitting the "buy" button.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Martok

Heh.  For what it's worth, Nefaro, I *would* gently mock you for being a poor, dumb bastard...except for the "There but for the grace of God go I" factor.  I'm always so tempted by this game, but like panzerde, I just don't think I would play it enough to justify getting it. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

panzerde

I have *got* to stay out of the Matrix WitP AE forum. I've just read through an in-progress Guadalcanal scenario AAR and it's everything I can do to keep myself from picking this up...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bbmike

Quote from: panzerde on June 05, 2014, 06:05:39 PM
I have *got* to stay out of the Matrix WitP AE forum. I've just read through an in-progress Guadalcanal scenario AAR and it's everything I can do to keep myself from picking this up...

Thanks, I just had to go check out that AAR. Now it's your fault if I cave!  ::)
Does this have hotseat multiplayer?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

I picked up a used copy of the original WITP a few years ago. Is there any reason to spend $40 on WITP:AE which would make it easier for me to get into? Note, I've only ever fired up 1 turn of the original.

I've only made it past a few turns of WPO as well. :-[
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Rayfer

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 05, 2014, 06:41:10 PM
I picked up a used copy of the original WITP a few years ago. Is there any reason to spend $40 on WITP:AE which would make it easier for me to get into? Note, I've only ever fired up 1 turn of the original.

I've only made it past a few turns of WPO as well. :-[

Did the same, got the original on eBay used, went through a 40 page tutorial on setting up convoys and such, but never went further.

jomni

I can't say that I played WITP AE to death but have spent countless months playing just the Guadalcanal scenario PBEM. It was a good experience.

I attempted the grand campaign several times but I still can't get past a few months of play.

Boggit

Quote from: jomni on June 05, 2014, 07:24:52 PM
I attempted the grand campaign several times but I still can't get past a few months of play.
I'm the same. I think I'm in September/October 1942, but I haven't looked at it for nearly 2 years! ???
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bbmike

Quote from: Boggit on June 05, 2014, 07:43:52 PM
Quote from: jomni on June 05, 2014, 07:24:52 PM
I attempted the grand campaign several times but I still can't get past a few months of play.
I'm the same. I think I'm in September/October 1942, but I haven't looked at it for nearly 2 years! ???

Is it at least easy to pick up and continue after all that time or do you have to re-learn everything?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak