Main Menu

D-Day Wargames?

Started by DicedT, June 05, 2014, 12:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

SgtRock

Quote from: Barthheart on June 05, 2014, 12:41:35 PM
Old V for Victory: D-Day Utah Beach game.

That was a good one!

bbmike

Quote from: SgtRock on June 06, 2014, 12:19:05 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 05, 2014, 12:41:35 PM
Old V for Victory: D-Day Utah Beach game.

That was a good one!

I bought that on day one. The problem is I was using a laptop in those days. The laptop refused to run it citing the graphics card (or lack of really). To this day I've never played it (don't even think I have it anymore). Since that time I have always referred to it as V for Videocard.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

agathosdaimon

Impressions, DDay the Beginning of the End - amusing game, the strategic map level was fine but the tactical battles were bizarre to try and play - just a spasmodic fly around of like figures with no rhyme or reason - reminded me of ET on Atari - all their games had this same design and i am not sure it worked fr any of their games.




Michael Dorosh

Quote from: RooksBailey on June 05, 2014, 04:09:36 PM
Combat Mission: Beyond Normandy

I think you mean Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy. :)

Have to agree.

Except for the fact there are no paratroopers, landing craft, amphibious vehicles, DD tanks, gliders, German beach fortifications, purpose-built bunkers (see list), anti-invasion obstacles (Rommel's asparagus, Belgian Gates, tetrahedra), bangalore torpedoes, AVsRE, cliff scaling, commando and Ranger units, Osttruppen, and captured French armour in German service, CM:BN brilliantly captures every signficant aspect of the air and sea landings on D-Day.

GDS_Starfury

You can grab the Gold, Juno, Sword mod for cc4 at the CSO website.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


bbmike

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on June 06, 2014, 02:33:04 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on June 05, 2014, 04:09:36 PM
Combat Mission: Beyond Normandy

I think you mean Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy. :)

Have to agree.

Except for the fact there are no paratroopers, landing craft, amphibious vehicles, DD tanks, gliders, German beach fortifications, purpose-built bunkers (see list), anti-invasion obstacles (Rommel's asparagus, Belgian Gates, tetrahedra), bangalore torpedoes, AVsRE, cliff scaling, commando and Ranger units, Osttruppen, and captured French armour in German service, CM:BN brilliantly captures every signficant aspect of the air and sea landings on D-Day.

Not sure I understand you. Is that sarcasm or do you actually like Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy?  ???
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Boggit

Quote from: bbmike on June 06, 2014, 06:53:22 PM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on June 06, 2014, 02:33:04 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on June 05, 2014, 04:09:36 PM
Combat Mission: Beyond Normandy

I think you mean Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy. :)

Have to agree.

Except for the fact there are no paratroopers, landing craft, amphibious vehicles, DD tanks, gliders, German beach fortifications, purpose-built bunkers (see list), anti-invasion obstacles (Rommel's asparagus, Belgian Gates, tetrahedra), bangalore torpedoes, AVsRE, cliff scaling, commando and Ranger units, Osttruppen, and captured French armour in German service, CM:BN brilliantly captures every signficant aspect of the air and sea landings on D-Day.

Not sure I understand you. Is that sarcasm or do you actually like Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy?  ???
I think he does, as he's done a fair few scenarios and mods for it. But he is right. In many ways Combat Mission does a fine job as a tactical game for D-Day, but it does miss out all the things he says. Hopefully, they'll expand/update to include these issues, but I suspect it isn't a priority given all the other stuff they're trying to do.

My biggest gripe playing AI in Quick Battle mode is the usual predictable artillery barrage on turn 1 with any of the CM games. You don't move on turn 1 but turn 2. That way you avoid advancing into a barrage. Usually, but not always, that uses up all the enemy indirect artillery for the rest of the game... ??? Apart from that the game is pretty good, and the AI has received a big boost with the v3.0 upgrade in Red Thunder.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Staggerwing

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on June 06, 2014, 02:33:04 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on June 05, 2014, 04:09:36 PM
Combat Mission: Beyond Normandy

I think you mean Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy. :)



Or Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord.  :D

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Philippe

HPS/JTS Panzer Campaigns: Normandy.

I still prefer the V for Victory system, but with this game you can (if you really want to) play the entire D-Day event on all five invasion  beaches.  My failing memory is that  V for Victory didn't include the landings, which are surprisingly interesting. 

The graphics are, of course, horrible, but there are mods (including one of my own) that improve things in the 2D views.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

eyebiter

.
#24
.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Boggit on June 06, 2014, 07:19:25 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 06, 2014, 06:53:22 PM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on June 06, 2014, 02:33:04 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on June 05, 2014, 04:09:36 PM
Combat Mission: Beyond Normandy

I think you mean Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy. :)

Have to agree.

Except for the fact there are no paratroopers, landing craft, amphibious vehicles, DD tanks, gliders, German beach fortifications, purpose-built bunkers (see list), anti-invasion obstacles (Rommel's asparagus, Belgian Gates, tetrahedra), bangalore torpedoes, AVsRE, cliff scaling, commando and Ranger units, Osttruppen, and captured French armour in German service, CM:BN brilliantly captures every signficant aspect of the air and sea landings on D-Day.

Not sure I understand you. Is that sarcasm or do you actually like Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy?  ???
I think he does, as he's done a fair few scenarios and mods for it. But he is right. In many ways Combat Mission does a fine job as a tactical game for D-Day, but it does miss out all the things he says. Hopefully, they'll expand/update to include these issues, but I suspect it isn't a priority given all the other stuff they're trying to do.

I forgot to mention gliders.

It is easy to equate "D-Day" with "Normandy" but they are not the same thing. The Battle of Normandy lasted from 6 June 1944 to 24 July 1944 (for the Americans) or 1 September 1944 (for the British and Canadians, according to the Official Histories of the armies that participated). As big an event as D-Day was, it was just one day in a long and gruelling campaign, and as interesting as the tactical situations and especially the purpose-built equipment and fortifications might be, I expect that game developers like battlefront realize there is a huge investment of resources in modelling all of that. Particularly with the realization that the majority of the stuff you model wasn't used from 12:00 on June 6th to the end of the campaign.

Even the tactical match-ups may not be as interesting as one might think at first blush. UTAH Beach was anti-climactic, OMAHA Beach features the initial waves floundering in the face of heavy gunfire, and the British/Canadian beaches had a mostly outclassed German division mopped up on the shoreline. The latter actions were the most like "balanced" as the tank support often had to duel with concrete gun emplacements and there was much fighting to be done. But I suppose there would be a lot of effort in modelling these actions and little chance of user-made scenarios featuring beach landing stuff after that, since the focus of the campaign was on the bocage and fighting around Caen, which you see in the CM:BN/Commonwealth Forces games now.

eyebiter

.
#27
.

GJK

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Michael Dorosh

Just noticing this now. I went to the webpage for Wargame Processor, and it doesn't seem to tell me what it is about - is it like VASSAL?