Close Combat - Gateway to Caen

Started by spelk, April 08, 2014, 07:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

GDS_Starfury

it really had more to do with the maps.  CC2 maps had lots of building that were coded with brick and concrete and whatnot with elevation advantages.  not a lot of that in later games.  ;)  you could right mouse key over the terrain to find out what the map element was.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Apocalypse 31

I wonder if matrix has put an effort into improving the AI for this release. Honestly, I don't see why they would given that it will be the last using the 2d engine. I'd like to enjoy the game for a week without uninstalling it out of frustration of horrible AI, like I did with the last one

jomni


Apocalypse 31

Quote from: jomni on June 05, 2014, 07:27:23 PM
I'm on a wait and see mode.

Update on the Matrix forums. There have been no improvements made to the AI from Panthers.

I'm going to skip this one. The AI from Panthers was terrible.

-budd-

skip.... the multiplayer folks should have fun with it though.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

GDS_Starfury

 ::)

^  my official review.  the issue has amostly always been the map architecture rather then AI.
more specifically the AI's interaction with the shit map coding.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Apocalypse 31

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 05, 2014, 10:32:20 PM
::)

^  my official review.  the issue has amostly always been the map architecture rather then AI.
more specifically the AI's interaction with the shit map coding.

The new maps are reportedly larger than the ones from Panthers. Can you confirm?

I remember fighting a platoon sized element on a map large enough for a battalion against AI that was literally huddled in the corner of the map. Shit game

GDS_Starfury

from as long back as I can remember CC map element codes have been in 5 X 5 pixel segments.  back in the day of CC1 and CC2 this was great.  now I have super HD 4 gig Crossfire/SLI DDR 5 and fuck your Avater graphic ability.  the graphics, AI and immersion just haven't added up in a decade.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on June 05, 2014, 10:37:56 PM
The new maps are reportedly larger than the ones from Panthers. Can you confirm?

I remember fighting a platoon sized element on a map large enough for a battalion against AI that was literally huddled in the corner of the map. Shit game

larger isn't better.  take the awesomeness that is Gus.  CC2 and mostly CC3 cemented the idea in legions of fans on ASL that the system worked in a PC format.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


SgtRock

I'm surprised they even made another CC game, with the new CC 3D game coming along. I think Matrix/Slitherine should have done a discount/bundle of all the CC games, like they did with Distant Worlds.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 05, 2014, 10:47:16 PM
larger isn't better. 

I agree. The maps from the last few Close Combat releases have been entirely too large for the amount of forces fighting on them, and for the AI to handle.

undercovergeek

Quote from: SgtRock on June 06, 2014, 12:14:18 AM
I'm surprised they even made another CC game, with the new CC 3D game coming along.

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Boggit

I've just had this in. Star's secret "to be" favourite game is now out...  :P  ;)

Matrix Games Press Announcement

For Immediate Release


Close Combat: Gateway to Caen is released for the D-Day commemoration!

Arlington, VT, June 06, 2014.

70 years ago, soldiers from the Allied Forces were landing on the infamous Normandy beaches. Today Matrix Games is very pleased to give players the opportunity to make an emotional return to the bocage with the release of Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. The multi-award winning tactical strategy series introduces a new episode focused on the British offensive during Operation Epsom.

Close Combat: Gateway to Caen features the fighting between German and British forces in the surroundings of Caen, a key city which was originally a D-Day objective. Players will be able to coordinate land units with artillery and air support at the tactical and strategic level on more than thirty battlefields which accurately reflect the Odon Valley in France. Thanks to new features requested by the community, revised graphic effects and dozens of new vehicles and weapons, Gateway to Caen is definitely the most advanced game in the series.

And for the very first time, Close Combat is landing on the Steam platform! Note that all Gateway to Caen owners are also eligible to receive a Steam key.

Get more information on Close Combat: Gateway to Caen from its trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWFe0FexcFs
and its official product page.
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/506/details/CloseCombat-GatewaytoCaen

Matrix Games is part of the Slitherine Group

About the Slitherine Group

The Slitherine Group is the world's leading producer and publisher of digital wargames and strategy games. Under the Slitherine (www.slitherine.com), Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com) and Ageod (www.ageod.com) brands it has published literally hundreds of games, with many award-winning titles in its portfolio and spanning all digital platforms, from home consoles to modern Smartphone's and Tablets. Slitherine is also involved with book publishing, board gaming and works with a wide array of key licensing partners, such as HISTORY®, MILITARY HISTORY®, Games Workshop®, Horrible Histories™, Showtime, BBC, Osprey, Scholastic, Buzz Aldrin Enterprises and many others to deliver the best blend of historical accuracy in an exciting and entertaining way. Together the Group companies form the world's largest organization specializing in this important and vibrant niche. The Slitherine Group's mission over the coming years is to lead the way in innovation and growth in an ever expanding segment of the entertainment industry.

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat