Main Menu

WITP Admirals Edition

Started by magnus, June 02, 2014, 04:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

For me it's easy. I just lack the will power to do so. Hmm where did I put that Save file. 

Also,  you may have forgotten the grand plans running in your head unless you have them written down in a notebook.

jejo68

Well where to start.
Initially its very time consuming to do a turn as there is just so many factors to key in, but over time you get a steady rhytme. Think I spend on averaget 3-4 hours per turn for the first 6-8 month and then it gradually got better (or worse  depending on your view). We also restarted the game like 4 times during the first 6 month of playing I think after discovering gamebreaking mistakes we had made which was avoidable with better understanding of game mechanics (just a sidenote we each spend two weeks on the very first turn, just to get Things moving in the right direction).
Now im Down to spending about 1 hour each day making my turn + maybe 2-3 hours a week planning ahead, with maps and spreadsheets etc (gotta love them spreadsheets  :) ).

But overall I must say that its a micromanage game where you need to factor ALOT of Things in if you want to stay afloat as you not only manage your armies/navy/airforce but also have to think of Little Things like fuel and supply lines, training of assets etc. nothing like having your big stack of ships running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere   :o, been there done that.
But you get so many memorable times out of it like one time when a battleship was humping very badly damaged for port for 14-15 turns only to sink 1 hex outside safe harbour  >:(. Also the unprodictabilaty is fun especially when it goes your way, like your enemies fighterscreen not flying during a carrier engagement, that was fun to Watch for me, for Atilla60 not so much  :2funny:

As for planning I like the fact that you cant just take a stack of chips and throw them randomly at an Island fx as there can be limits to number of men that can be placed on that Island. So that division you just dropped on an Island with a stacking limit of 6000 men will be seriously clubbered so you might Loose more men to Falling overboard when unloading or other types of mishaps then in actual combat.
And if an invasion fails boy does it fail, I once lost 2/3 of my division on an ill prepared, poorly executed landing, so I learned my lessons after crying about it for a few days.
Also you need to prep your men before a landing as a low prep score will mean additional causalties and other misfortunes during invasions.
Inland you need to consider the terrain as supply efficiencies is directly proportional to type of terrain, wether Theres a road/railroad etc.
Then Theres the small hickups in the form of random events like 2 of your ships crashing into each other during combat, they dont like that just to let you Guys know.

Well just a Little rant from a fanboy

jejo68

Oh and we made it to june 44 now and Atilla60 is screwed no matter what he might try and tell you Guys  :)

Nefaro

Quote from: jejo68 on June 06, 2014, 12:54:19 AM
Oh and we made it to june 44 now and Atilla60 is screwed no matter what he might try and tell you Guys  :)

You mentioned "..after the first 6 months".  I'm curious as to how long it's taken you guys to get to June '44 in your game.  ;D

Atilla60

Quote from: Nefaro on June 06, 2014, 01:56:10 AM
I'm curious as to how long it's taken you guys to get to June '44 in your game.  ;D

Pheeeew, my save-game folder says since August 8th, 2010.

We started out with an agreement to send, minimum, 1 turn pr day.
Aside from a few technical issues along the way (hardware, game updates etc), Holidays and whatnot. I'd say we have managed to keep that schedule.
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

Atilla60

Quote from: jejo68 on June 06, 2014, 12:54:19 AM
Oh and we made it to june 44 now and Atilla60 is screwed no matter what he might try and tell you Guys  :)
Hey! It's 44.....I'm supposed to be screwed  ;D
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

Nefaro

Ho-ry Crap!  That's quite a PBEM commitment!

I could never do a WitP pbem game.  There's absolutely no way.  I just purchased it for playing the occasional turn against the AI, when the mood hits.

Boggit

Quote from: Nefaro on June 06, 2014, 03:04:34 PM
Ho-ry Crap!  That's quite a PBEM commitment!

I could never do a WitP pbem game.  There's absolutely no way.  I just purchased it for playing the occasional turn against the AI, when the mood hits.
I think it's pretty incredible too. Matrix should give Jejo68 and Attilla60 some form of Hall of Fame trophy, or similar. 8) That's dedication.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

jejo68

btw boggit did we ever tell you that when were done with this game we will switch side and start all over, just so I can kick his a... as Japan too :)

bbmike

I decided to go ahead and pick this up. I've always wanted to try one of these monster games and I think the sale price is fair. Don't know when I'll get around to playing it but I eventually will.

ps - I blame panzerde and Nefaro for this purchase. Totally their fault.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Atilla60

Quote from: jejo68 on June 06, 2014, 05:28:52 PM
btw boggit did we ever tell you that when were done with this game we will switch side and start all over, just so I can kick his a... as Japan too :)
HA!
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

Boggit

Quote from: jejo68 on June 06, 2014, 05:28:52 PM
btw boggit did we ever tell you that when were done with this game we will switch side and start all over, just so I can kick his a... as Japan too :)
So you're planning on playing up to about 2020 at the same rate?? You're both braver than me jejo! :-\ I imagine Attilla will give you a harder fight as a grudge match for the drubbing you've given him this time around? :coolsmiley:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on June 06, 2014, 03:04:34 PM
Ho-ry Crap!  That's quite a PBEM commitment!

I could never do a WitP pbem game.  There's absolutely no way.  I just purchased it for playing the occasional turn against the AI, when the mood hits.

It takes me several months just to finish Guadalcanal PBEM.  One turn a day and sometimes none...
You build long lasting friendships, rivalries, and "mistresses" in WITP.

Boggit

Quote from: jomni on June 06, 2014, 07:54:36 PM
You build long lasting friendships, rivalries, and "mistresses" in WITP.
Sounds like you're playing the WitP CK2 mod! :D :2funny:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Wolfe1759

Quote from: Atilla60 on June 06, 2014, 03:01:15 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 06, 2014, 01:56:10 AM
I'm curious as to how long it's taken you guys to get to June '44 in your game.  ;D

Pheeeew, my save-game folder says since August 8th, 2010.

We started out with an agreement to send, minimum, 1 turn pr day.
Aside from a few technical issues along the way (hardware, game updates etc), Holidays and whatnot. I'd say we have managed to keep that schedule.

So it's pretty much an RTS  :)
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill