My Gaming Funk (recommendations please)

Started by Jack Nastyface, June 06, 2014, 03:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jack Nastyface

Gentles all,
I need something to bust me out of my current gaming funk.  Nothing I have installed on my work laptop is really doing it for me anymore, so I need to find something new.  The only limitation I have is that my laptop doesn't have a walloping good graphics card.  I have a bunch of HPS Squad Battles stuff, and many of the Close Combat titles, but they just don't look / sound / feel appealing to me right now.  I tried the Battle Academy demo, but it didn't feel right, either.


Votes and comments appreciated.


Ever your humble servant in gaming,

Jack Nastyface
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

JudgeDredd

I would love to help - but I would honestly be no help because although I have (or had) all those games, I didn't play them long enough or haven't got enough play time to help you.

A lot of people rave about Distant Worlds, but I love the look of Birth of America II (and I did play 1 for some time (longer than my normal attention span) and really liked it, but didn't complete a campaign)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

CK II and invest some love into your character

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm kinda in the same boat right now.  Think I'm going to take a break from it for a while.  I've been doing the exercise thing since I got back.  About to mitigate that foolishness with some lovely beverages at the craft beer festival.  Come on down for a pint!

Boggit

I have all of these, and they're all good games. However, you are comparing apples with oranges.

I have Birth of America 2 on my Gamersgate account (given me by Paradox a while back). I already had the game on disk, so never used the download. I'll have to raise a ticket to see if GG will let me gift it to you.

If you want it and they're willing, then get the latest update from AGEOD, as there are many, many changes to the core game. Also check out their site anyway for scenarios, as I think they've (the community that is) done Lord Dunmore's, and Pontiac's War, both of which are very good scenarios. PM me if you're interested. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

panzerde

I'm really, really enjoying Tiller's/Matrix Campaign Series right now. If you want WW2 tactical but are burned out of squad micro-management you might give this a try. It may be a 20 year old game, but Matrix just released the 2.01 patch this week and it's actively being improved. East, West, and Pacific front platoon-scale gaming without taxing that graphic adapter...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Boggit

Quote from: panzerde on June 06, 2014, 05:07:10 PM
I'm really, really enjoying Tiller's/Matrix Campaign Series right now. If you want WW2 tactical but are burned out of squad micro-management you might give this a try. It may be a 20 year old game, but Matrix just released the 2.01 patch this week and it's actively being improved. East, West, and Pacific front platoon-scale gaming without taxing that graphic adapter...
+1. Panzerde's got good taste.

Didn't know about the new patch. Thanks for that. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bbmike

If your video card is weak then gog.com is your friend. I highly recommend Alpha Centauri or Imperialism I or II.  :smitten:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

-budd-

I'm kinda where you are at, nothing is grabbing me at the moment and hasn't for the last week other than some quick play casual stuff. Don't know how many games i've opened, stared at and then closed but its alot. What other genre's do you like? Most of the games on the above list seem awful complex. What usually works for me is going simple, playing games that dont require alot of setup or micro management. I was excited when they released the 2.01 for campaign series and looking forward to getting a campaign started, but opened a few scenarios and campaigns and ........nothing. Another thing that sometimes works to get me out of my funk is doing an AAR on the game im playing.....none of those has worked for me so far...no biggy...i'll just find something else to do.....it will come back....it always has ;)

I also play my games on a laptop, mine has an integrated card so i can't play all the lastest and greatest either.

I think i'm going to reinstall borderlands 2 and give that a go or maybe serious sam and just blast sh*t, sometimes that works me out of the funk too.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Rayfer

Quote from: bbmike on June 06, 2014, 06:55:27 PM
If your video card is weak then gog.com is your friend. I highly recommend Alpha Centauri or Imperialism I or II.  :smitten:

+1  Browse the GOG library for something new and different, outside of what you might normally play. There are all sorts of genres there and the vast majority don't require high-end pc's and work well on laptops.  They even have the ancient text game Zork, quite a change from modern games as it has no visuals at all, you just input text. Try an rpg or a point and click adventure game or some other non-familiar genre. GOG has them all and for cheap!

eyebiter

.
#10
.

Queeg

Quote from: bbmike on June 06, 2014, 06:55:27 PM
If your video card is weak then gog.com is your friend. I highly recommend Alpha Centauri or Imperialism I or II.  :smitten:

Been playing Imperialism II on my work laptop.  Great game still.  And GOG version runs fine in Windows 7/8. 

Nefaro

Quote from: panzerde on June 06, 2014, 05:07:10 PM
I'm really, really enjoying Tiller's/Matrix Campaign Series right now. If you want WW2 tactical but are burned out of squad micro-management you might give this a try. It may be a 20 year old game, but Matrix just released the 2.01 patch this week and it's actively being improved. East, West, and Pacific front platoon-scale gaming without taxing that graphic adapter...

I played a bit recently too.  Although it's always been in short sessions with that one.

It's difficult to recommend something specific because my gaming habits, at any one point in time, are always based on a specific period of history or a specific theme.  I just assume this is typical for most people.  There are many I like but I don't play them until I'm in the mood for that specific period.  Do you guys not have this tendency?

panzerde

Quote from: Nefaro on June 07, 2014, 11:08:51 AM
It's difficult to recommend something specific because my gaming habits, at any one point in time, are always based on a specific period of history or a specific theme.  I just assume this is typical for most people.  There are many I like but I don't play them until I'm in the mood for that specific period.  Do you guys not have this tendency?

This is pretty much exactly what I do. And, when I do it it's not just games it books, documentaries, the whole bit. I'll tend to get immersed.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

TacticalWargames

CK2, EU IV and Combat Mission Red Thunder always drag me in once I start playing.