7 Cities of Gold At GOG

Started by tgb, June 12, 2014, 06:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tgb

Holy crap!

This came out of nowhere. Remember the good old days when every EA release was a true event, and not just a bunch of hype and giants like Dan (nee Danni) Bunten walked the Earth?

I played the snot out of this back in the day on my Atari ST.  From the screenshots it appears the graphics have been dressed up a bit - it looks better than I remember, and certainly better than it's contemporary brethren.

I wonder how well the game play holds up.

Staggerwing

Well, for the price of a Whopper w/ fries and drink you can find out and report back.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Wow. Yet another game I played a lot of on my grandad's Apple IIc. Not this version, but the earlier one. I played this one a little too.

Thanks for the find, I'll have to keep it on my radar.

Greybriar

This was a pleasant surprise. Seven Cities of Gold is a real classic and its Commemorative Edition is as good as you can get. Thanks for the heads-up, tgb.

Quote from: tgb on June 12, 2014, 06:01:49 AM
....Dan (nee Danni) Bunten....

Actually, Danielle Bunten Berry started out in life as Daniel Paul Bunten. Regardless of gender, Bunten changed video games forever.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bbmike

A 14MB game! How well will that hold up today? Is it still fun to play?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on June 12, 2014, 07:28:23 AM
A 14MB game! How well will that hold up today? Is it still fun to play?

It depends...do you like classic games? Some people can't stand the outdated graphics. This version of 7COG is light-years ahead of the original Apple version I played, graphic- and interface-wise. It's a great game of discovery, resource acquisition, and conquest (if you want, you can trade with the natives, or slaughter them all - the path to riches is usually quicker via bloodshed).

Here's a Let's Play video...


bbmike

I don't mind the graphics at all and I love classic games. I'm just wondering how much replayability can be in 14 megabytes. I'll find out, though, because I know I'll end up buying it before the day's over.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Speaking of exploring the new world...  been hoping the development of Expedition: The New World would progress quickly.

http://expeditionworld.net/


Dunno where it's at exactly.


BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on June 12, 2014, 07:43:08 AM
I don't mind the graphics at all and I love classic games. I'm just wondering how much replayability can be in 14 megabytes. I'll find out, though, because I know I'll end up buying it before the day's over.

There's tons of it, actually. You can play either an 'accurate' Americas map or on a random map, so no two games will be the same if you choose to play thusly.

RedArgo

I played a ton of that on our Apple IIe, what a great game.  I don't remember ever finding any cities of gold though.

tgb

Quote from: Greybriar on June 12, 2014, 07:27:59 AM


Actually, Danielle Bunten Berry started out in life as Daniel Paul Bunten. Regardless of gender, Bunten changed video games forever.

I knew that.  I just didn't know the proper usage of nee.  I also never knew there was a remake in the 90's.  Until I went back this morning and watched footage of the original, and realized how bad that looks by today's standards.

airboy

Quote from: tgb on June 12, 2014, 06:01:49 AM
Holy crap!

This came out of nowhere. Remember the good old days when every EA release was a true event, and not just a bunch of hype and giants like Dan (nee Danni) Bunten walked the Earth?

I played the snot out of this back in the day on my Atari ST.  From the screenshots it appears the graphics have been dressed up a bit - it looks better than I remember, and certainly better than it's contemporary brethren.

I wonder how well the game play holds up.

Curse You!  I have a stack of unplayed games!  I've been working out the rules and my strategy for starting Darklands!
Probably wait until it goes on sale.  I'm glad that a playable version now is out there.

Nefaro

Quote from: airboy on June 12, 2014, 10:08:38 AM


Curse You!  I have a stack of unplayed games!  I've been working out the rules and my strategy for starting Darklands!
Probably wait until it goes on sale.  I'm glad that a playable version now is out there.

I picked up Darklands from GOG sometime last year.  Played a short stint.  The old font was a bit of a pain in the ass, as was clicking on my individual characters in combat sometimes, but I can see why it was popular back in it's time.  With all the newer flashy stuff I have, and even some other re-releases from GOG, I doubt I'll get back around to it anytime soon.

Steelgrave

I can't do the old games anymore, no matter how hard I try. Modern graphics have spoiled me. But of alllll the games I've played, 7 Cities of Gold was an absolute favorite. The number of times I found a lost city with immense gold treasures, only to die of thirst or native attack before I could reach my ship......