Ultimate General gameplay footage..

Started by TacticalWargames, March 30, 2014, 04:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Boggit

I've been playing it this afternoon, but don't leave it on pause too long. I paused to go and make a cup of tea, then watch the news. When I got back to the game the system had completely locked up, and I had to reboot. Bummer >:(. I was winning well on Day 1! :(
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

fabius


Grim.Reaper

Finally got home to play and played the first phase/battle....interesting.....not sure what to think yet, too early.

- Looks nice, like the graphics and detail
- Love the movement system and how you can draw it versus waypoints...really like that
- Its the American civil war....enough said!

Note sure about
- Game speed...not as bad as I thought it would be, but still hard for me to control everything
- Would like to have map scrolling by hitting the edges
- Unless I am missing something, can't really direct artillery at specific targets and really can't for infantry either, besides having them face differently
- Can't really tell terrain and what bonus you might get, unless I missed that too

Overall, I am sure I will like it and can't complain for $10.....you can certainly tell made for mobile and other platforms because of its simplicity......but maybe that is the type of game I need versus all the over complex games....

And did I say it is the American civil war...my favorite war/period so that alone worth it:)

fabius

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 13, 2014, 07:28:45 PM
Finally got home to play and played the first phase/battle....interesting.....not sure what to think yet, too early.

- Looks nice, like the graphics and detail
- Love the movement system and how you can draw it versus waypoints...really like that
- Its the American civil war....enough said!

Note sure about
- Game speed...not as bad as I thought it would be, but still hard for me to control everything
- Would like to have map scrolling by hitting the edges
- Unless I am missing something, can't really direct artillery at specific targets and really can't for infantry either, besides having them face differently
- Can't really tell terrain and what bonus you might get, unless I missed that too

Overall, I am sure I will like it and can't complain for $10.....you can certainly tell made for mobile and other platforms because of its simplicity......but maybe that is the type of game I need versus all the over complex games....

And did I say it is the American civil war...my favorite war/period so that alone worth it:)

To target chosen units select your unit then left click on the target unit. The units not in shadow are those in LOS

Terrain plays a big part in winning fire-fights. Top box giving cover %
Moving across difficult terrain drains condition that also contributes to brittleness.

jomni

Well I just lost my first campaign.  :uglystupid2:

bbmike

Tried a battle and have to say wow! I'm not a graphics person but the graphics are beautiful. The game feels like Sid's Gettysburg a little bit (which is good). I don't mind the speed because you can pause the game and give orders if you click the time bar at the top of the screen. I think this game has a lot of potential!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

spelk

Quote from: bbmike on June 14, 2014, 07:06:46 AM
Tried a battle and have to say wow! I'm not a graphics person but the graphics are beautiful. The game feels like Sid's Gettysburg a little bit (which is good). I don't mind the speed because you can pause the game and give orders if you click the time bar at the top of the screen. I think this game has a lot of potential!

'P' also pauses the game, and unpauses it. Which I found very handy.

Pewpewpew did a video (see post above) and mentioned some issues with charging and melee not doing as much damage as one would expect.

But overall, I really like the fluidity of being able to command everything visually real easy. You need the pause if you want total control, as real time there isn't enough time to move across the map and made decisions and action them.

fabius

Dev has posted saying that so many people post about the speed they have to look at it. "...But as noted there are too many requests on the issue to ignore them..."

Many get used to the speed. I still want it slower so I can take the details in and make more considered decisions.

I thought Pewpewpew's comments while not all wrong, they came across as unbalanced or overly negative.

I think is problem with Cav not taking on Arty may be a tactical one as I've had some good results with careful use of Cav as the Union.

HistoricalGamer

Cavs overrun my artillery from time to time but there's a video up answering a few questions that have been out there since launch.


Rayfer

Like the original Scourge of War.....battle scenarios are locked in this game until you play through them.  I hated this in SoW, but it was finally corrected in a mod, or was it a patch, I don't remember. Hopefully, they do the same with this game.

JasonPratt

Played my first battle last night, held Herr's Ridge as the Confederates, but the mission ended up a draw somehow. I guess because the Union kept Oak Ridge, but I know I had 3500 points after marching a brigade around to take that wooded hill to the north. (I also took Oak Hill briefly with that same brigade, but with Union reinforcements on the way I eventually retreated to hold my little hill, and then brought them back to save my arty from a Union push late game.)

I played against the Union Dynamic AI setting, i.e. the advanced setting between cautious and aggressive, which I suspect is supposed to be the "best" AI. (All the planning cycles and no weaknesses, able to be both cautious and aggressive.) The Union shelled some skirmishers early (somehow causing significant casualties to my own artillery... but not to those skirmishers? Was that a bug or am I misremembering the first minutes??) and then kept arty out of the game until the end. I moved my arty up to Herr's ridge and spent most of the day rifling his skirms from long distance while my infantry and skirm brigades held in place. Union never moved, just sat there and took it, probably letting me waste strength against the skirms (who after all were spread out and so less vulnerable to arty. I did move one unit closer with cover from two nearby brigade to cannister an actual infantry brigade parked nearby, but I'm unsure how much effect that actually had.) I stayed in the woods or up on the ridge as much as possible.

Once my reinforcement brigades arrived I probed off to my left (thus taking that little hill to the north, briefly coming south to take Oak Hill etc. as mentioned above) and to my right/south. My southern plan was to flank the brigade I was cannistering and try to drive it off, mainly to see if I could. I can't tell if this aggro'd the AI or if it thought it had brought up enough troops, but soon I was doing all kinds of maneuvers against infantry, skirms and the occasional cav sortie. The AI doesn't seem to understand yet not to charge a hill of most of the artillery with one cav brigade.  :uglystupid2: Otherwise I guess it did okay. The battle was "extended" (not sure what that means other than the timer slowly went from green to red), and I was barely able to repulse a major thrust on my center left to take Herr Ridge while it took me the whole extended time to push finally across the river (running down map center) on my right to take a firm anchor at some farms. Considering how badly I was outnumbered from start to finish (and how I'm not familiar with the game engine yet) I think I did okay, too. :)

Like some other people have said, the one or two charges I attempted appeared to mean nothing. But at least they weren't outright suicides like WHAT ALWAYS HAPPENED IN FORGE OF FREEDOM!  :buck2: Seriously I have never tried a charge in that game under the best circumstances imaginable that didn't end in disaster for me. (Or vice versa to be fair, but the AI never seemed to charge in that game.) I could be charging a depleted brigade with a perfectly healthy one, from the rear, with cavalry, while the other one was disorganized and routing off the field AND I WOULD STILL LOSE 30 PERCENT WITH NO APPRECIABLE LOSSES FOR THE OTHER SIDE!

Compared to that, I'm happy with the charges so far in this game.  :)) I suspect, and hope, that if I charged a little more correctly it would work better.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 13, 2014, 12:16:54 AM
ah but here's the topper.  Freeman does the overall and Union voice overs but James Earl Jones does the Confederacy voice overs.

Heh.

That's not likely since James Earl Jones is dead.  :(  For one.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on June 15, 2014, 03:08:10 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 13, 2014, 12:16:54 AM
ah but here's the topper.  Freeman does the overall and Union voice overs but James Earl Jones does the Confederacy voice overs.

Heh.

That's not likely since James Earl Jones is dead.  :(  For one.

James Earl Jones is NOT dead. You must be thinking of someone else.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2014, 03:18:27 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 15, 2014, 03:08:10 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 13, 2014, 12:16:54 AM
ah but here's the topper.  Freeman does the overall and Union voice overs but James Earl Jones does the Confederacy voice overs.

Heh.

That's not likely since James Earl Jones is dead.  :(  For one.

James Earl Jones is NOT dead. You must be thinking of someone else.


darth vader?

panzerde

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2014, 03:18:27 PM

James Earl Jones is NOT dead. You must be thinking of someone else.

Darth Vader. He's probably thinking of Darth Vader. Or Thulsa Doom.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres