Mafia II - what do you guys think?

Started by undercovergeek, June 16, 2014, 02:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

undercovergeek

Loving GTA IV, and looking forward to downloading the police mod, its got me in the mood for some drive here, do that, go here, shoot them action and i figured Mafia II would be where its at

I loved the first one, first game ive completed in ages

wondering what you thought of II

Ian C

#1
It's very well produced. The immersion is second to none. The looks of it, the soundtrack, the storyline. It's fun, plenty to drive, plenty to shoot and kick ass and there are a few parts where you don't dare fail (the scene in the s****r).
The vehicle models are great. Vintage motors with different handling and great 3D modelling. The 1940's city in the snow is absolutely wonderful. It's like walking down a Norman Rockwell winter scene. It's a keeper on my drive and I will play it in years to come.



skeptical.platypus

Like GTAIV, some of the later shooting-oriented missions in can drag on a bit too long. It's a cover based system, and after a while there are only so many variations of crates, equipment, low walls, etc.

The immersion and "feel" of a real city going on about it's business around and despite of you is better than gtaiv, in my opinion. If that's one of things you enjoy about gtaiv, I'd recommend Sleeping Dogs.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I really enjoyed the story and I liked the shooting bits.  The driving wasn't as good from a gameplay perspective as the cars felt like they had no mass or inertia but they look good and the city design was excellent and I enjoyed the radio stations through the different eras.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 16, 2014, 02:54:28 PM
Loving GTA IV, and looking forward to downloading the police mod, its got me in the mood for some drive here, do that, go here, shoot them action and i figured Mafia II would be where its at

I loved the first one, first game ive completed in ages

wondering what you thought of II
It's absolutely superb. 120% well worth every penny of the full price. I've got 228 hours logged on it on Steam. I've completed the game 3 times (or was it 4!?)

There are a couple of dodgy parts - times when I think the devs went to sleep and one of their kids came in and created a mission - but apart from that - it was THE best game I've had...probably period. Well, not exactly - I'd put the original Mafia ahead of it - but it was a very close second.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Oh - and if you loved the first one, there's a surprise in this game for ya  :)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

purchase this weekend at 19.99 on steam

watch for the sale on Monday dropping it to 4.99 - happened to me 3 times now

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Gusington

I have a physical copy of the first game bundled up with a paperback version of The Godfather, neither of which are cracked open yet :(
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

You need to open that bad boy and get it played. It looks a tad dated nowadays - but the gameplay, immersion and feel are second to none. I played the first one through 3 or 4 times too.

They are two of the best games ever made imo.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

i quite like getting to ramp up ageing AAA titles on max for everything - consider me fedora-ed up with my trench coat this weekend

man that reminds me of a mission from the first game - you had to drive a truck full of whiskey out to a farm in the piss pouring rain and then there was a huge shoot out around a barn - remember creeping my ass round that barn with a pistol knowing there was a fat guy somewhere with a sawn off

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 17, 2014, 02:40:26 PM
i quite like getting to ramp up ageing AAA titles on max for everything - consider me fedora-ed up with my trench coat this weekend

man that reminds me of a mission from the first game - you had to drive a truck full of whiskey out to a farm in the piss pouring rain and then there was a huge shoot out around a barn - remember creeping my ass round that barn with a pistol knowing there was a fat guy somewhere with a sawn off
I know - the game was amazing. It had spades and spades of immersion.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Ian C

#12
Well hell, Mafia 1 is not available anywhere.   >:(

Edit: nm, I reinstalled Godfather II.

JudgeDredd

#13
I think I have the disk kicking about (I also got the game on Steam when I bought Mafia II) - I'll gladly post it if I do have it if you want it. It's a crying shame someone can't get this gem of a game (Mafia - not Mafia II) and I have two!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

I am not going to look at this thread....last thing I need is another game right now:)