Main Menu

WITP Admirals Edition

Started by magnus, June 02, 2014, 04:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Yskonyn

So ship to ship combat only ever triggers when there are enemy ships in the same hex?

Another thing I find vague; the Coast watcher network.
The game seems to jump over the map willy nilly telling my that coast watchers have spotted x amount of ships in y location. What are these coast watchers? Are they my Catalina's running recon ops?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jomni

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 18, 2014, 04:55:38 AM
So ship to ship combat only ever triggers when there are enemy ships in the same hex?

Another thing I find vague; the Coast watcher network.
The game seems to jump over the map willy nilly telling my that coast watchers have spotted x amount of ships in y location. What are these coast watchers? Are they my Catalina's running recon ops?

Yes surface combat happens when two TFs meet in a hex.

Ground based intelligence.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastwatchers

undercovergeek

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 18, 2014, 04:55:38 AM
So ship to ship combat only ever triggers when there are enemy ships in the same hex?

Another thing I find vague; the Coast watcher network.
The game seems to jump over the map willy nilly telling my that coast watchers have spotted x amount of ships in y location. What are these coast watchers? Are they my Catalina's running recon ops?

yes, more often than not you have to navigate your own interception. IIRC if you place an aggressive commander in charge and he has enough range he will actually move to intercept

coastwatchers are simply little fellas tasked on telling on the other side what theyve seen go past the jungle - dont rely on it - i think its scripted in that a civilian isnt going to know the difference between a cruiser and a dd etc

jomni

#123
Quote from: undercovergeek on June 18, 2014, 05:05:16 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 18, 2014, 04:55:38 AM
So ship to ship combat only ever triggers when there are enemy ships in the same hex?

Another thing I find vague; the Coast watcher network.
The game seems to jump over the map willy nilly telling my that coast watchers have spotted x amount of ships in y location. What are these coast watchers? Are they my Catalina's running recon ops?

yes, more often than not you have to navigate your own interception. IIRC if you place an aggressive commander in charge and he has enough range he will actually move to intercept

coastwatchers are simply little fellas tasked on telling on the other side what theyve seen go past the jungle - dont rely on it - i think its scripted in that a civilian isnt going to know the difference between a cruiser and a dd etc

You can also play with the reaction ranges of your TF. 0 to keep the assigned path, any other number to intercept and seek combat.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on June 17, 2014, 11:52:47 PM
You can also ignore it just like search arcs.

Really?  Doesn't that cut down your search range dramatically? 

I mean.. they're a pain in the ass and I would rather not dick with them.  So if it's negligible then good riddance.  That stuff is okay at the scale of a game like CAW but in this one it's just a pain in the ass (to include the extra pain in the ass with it's UI).   

That's a lot of ass pain I'd rather avoid.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on June 18, 2014, 01:01:04 PM
Quote from: jomni on June 17, 2014, 11:52:47 PM
You can also ignore it just like search arcs.

Really?  Doesn't that cut down your search range dramatically? 

I mean.. they're a pain in the ass and I would rather not dick with them.  So if it's negligible then good riddance.  That stuff is okay at the scale of a game like CAW but in this one it's just a pain in the ass (to include the extra pain in the ass with it's UI).   

That's a lot of ass pain I'd rather avoid.

  On thing I use search arcs for is to search areas I need to search and still keep the pilot fatigue low and morale high and leave time for training.  After a few years of play, this stuff all becomes second nature.  I always check fatigue and training on all squadrons in advanced bases or before I move them up or back.  Having a good squadron in the right place at the right time with good training levels and low fatigue and so on can spell the difference between defending a region or loosing it.  But everything is a gamble in this game.  So you just do what you can to edge the odds in your favor.

SgtRock

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 18, 2014, 01:41:41 AM
Quote from: jomni on June 17, 2014, 11:52:47 PM
You can also ignore it just like search arcs.

this,

i havent been down there for years (matrix witp forum) but the last time i was there were quite a few threads saying micromanaged arcs and training had very little advantage over just leaving it be

That's not true for pilot training, there's a big difference between Air combat with pilot at 70 vs < 60.

Yskonyn

Am I correct to say that the Coral Sea scenario is pretty hands-off or am I missing something?

I designate my TF's towards an area, alter CAP and Search missions and then pretty much see what happens?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 20, 2014, 01:17:18 AM
Am I correct to say that the Coral Sea scenario is pretty hands-off or am I missing something?

I designate my TF's towards an area, alter CAP and Search missions and then pretty much see what happens?

Yeah, it's pretty much just a battle scenario.  It's not long enough, nor does it have the proper ships to present the logistics and grand strategy side of things.

Use it to learn the warfare side.  Then move on to the next one (Marianas?) to start getting into supply & such.

jomni

Yeah nothing to do there. Nothing much to do but do a carrier battle. Guadalcanal has more meat. Its basically an updated Uncommon Valor.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on June 20, 2014, 03:13:40 AM
Yeah nothing to do there. Nothing much to do but do a carrier battle. Guadalcanal has more meat. Its basically an updated Uncommon Valor.

To be fair, UV also included a full Guadalcanal campaign.  But yeah, close enough.

I'm glad they've improved the interface performance since UV.  That sluggish thing drove me nuts.   Although WitP-AE still isn't as fast as I'd like.