Main Menu

Gunpoint

Started by RooksBailey, June 18, 2014, 11:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RooksBailey

I saw this was on sale over at Steam for something like $2.50, so I gave the demo a try because I've heard nothing but good things about it.  And, yeah, I have to say this is the best little game I ever played!  The humor is very funny, the cool jazz soundtrack is fantastic, and the gameplay itself is lots of fun and very clever.   I even love how the dev nailed the "noir" setting by having missions take place during a dark and stormy night (too many movie directors and game devs don't understand that you can't have a proper noir feeling without a rainy night - see Blade Runner).   8)  The only real negative I see so far is that I heard the game is only like 20 missions - about 3-4 hours.  But they just added Steam Workshop support so this should add some longevity to the game. 

Highly recommended!



BTW: I agree that the hacking mechanic in this game is one of the most interesting I have ever experienced.  I wish Deus Ex HR and Watch_Dogs had something similar. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

-budd-

SOLD...........................................Sh*t ::)
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

RooksBailey

#2
Quote from: -budd- on June 19, 2014, 12:29:20 AM
SOLD...........................................Sh*t ::)

For the money, you can't go wrong.   :)

Edit:  the changes that came with the new 2.0 version

QuoteNew engine, implemented by Abstraction Games. Should fix many technical issues and make the game run faster for everyone, and it'll enable us to develop Mac and Linux versions next.

Steam Workshop added, for browsing and sharing user-made levels. Yes, we listened to the 1,779 post petition you guys started even after we'd already announced we would do it.

Option to turn off swearing. Up to you whether this makes "Grow a ####ing #### and shove it up your ###" kid-safe.

Reconfigurable keyboard controls.

Vertical sync option. I didn't know we needed this, but the folks at Abstraction added it and now the animation is at least 23% more beautiful.

Level editor. The level editor has been in there since launch, but some people still ask for one so I'm just going to keep announcing I've added it until everyone knows it's there.

You can now place multiple elevators in a level without it crashing. That's more than I could do when I was making the game, so I expect your levels to be at least twice as good as mine.

If you have any technical troubles with the new version, you can still use the old one by going to Properties > Betas and selecting 'oldversion'. Post your issue on the forums too, so we can fix it.:
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

-budd-

yea i know.....the old too many games thing.......i am 8 missions in, your right its alot of fun....thx for heads up.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Jarhead0331

Question...do you, the player, actually carry a gun?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


-budd-

all i can tell you is that so far i dont have a gun and i'm on mission 8. I do see in the controls there's a control for drawing a gun.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

RooksBailey

I heard there is a gun but it is only required in one or two missions.  The game is mostly about stealth and beat downs.   :knuppel2:
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

-budd-

i had the cash so i bought the gun. it brings the cops after a countdown...get out before they arrive ;) I think im at around mission 15, fun game.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

-budd-

finished it. fun game, took me 6 hours and im a slow player. Got 12 A+ out of 20 missions, looks like you can go back and play the other levels with all your equipment to better your grade. There is also alot of user create missions in the workshop. Looks like you can go different directions with your choices, not sure that changes any of the levels though. I'd recommend it, it's a unque enough experience defiantly making it  worth the couple of dollars you'll spend. thx for the heads up Rooks.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

RooksBailey

Quote from: -budd- on June 19, 2014, 09:37:48 PM
finished it. fun game, took me 6 hours and im a slow player. Got 12 A+ out of 20 missions, looks like you can go back and play the other levels with all your equipment to better your grade. There is also alot of user create missions in the workshop. Looks like you can go different directions with your choices, not sure that changes any of the levels though. I'd recommend it, it's a unque enough experience defiantly making it  worth the couple of dollars you'll spend. thx for the heads up Rooks.

My pleasure!  I haven't gone back to it yet.  For some reason I got distracted by Deus Ex:HR today.  LOL!  I just want to put that game to bed already.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

RooksBailey

Hey Budd, did you manage to get the "Alright!  Have one!  Just stop!" achievement for beating a guy senseless?  LOL!  Funniest achievement I ever got!
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

MikeGER

#11
remind me on this one i played in the arcade a lot ...oh those were the times (with Red Baron, StarWars and Battlezone all in vectorgraphics )   

-budd-

#12
I actually have elevator action on the PS3 and play with kids multiplayer...A fond memories.

Re: the achievements, i beat a few senseless, but don't see that in my list. I have 20 of the 42 achievements. I think i'm going to start over and try to get through silently and unseen. I played a few workshop levels, man there are some wicked hard ones and huge too. There are alot of levels available to chose from.

my favorite takedown was jump flying into one of those armored dudes 4 stories up, taking him out the glass and down, splat. wasn't expecting that, funny as hell, major body slam. On second thought maybe i'll  run through the game taking everyone out....aaaaaa choices.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.