I had a bad idea

Started by JudgeDredd, June 20, 2014, 12:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

So Andrew (at my work) came back to the IT office from the shop at the beginning of June saying "There's loads of cheap England bunting and stuff - we should decorate the office". To which Neil replied "There's a Jock in the office" - (me) - "...it's probably against his human rights or something"

So I said "Don't be daft. Your team is in the World Cup...you should be able to support them" (of course all this was banter)

Anyway - Andrew then asked if I could be decorated to which I replied NO. Then Neil said "Not even for charity?"...which I thought about and said "OK...for £100 I'll let you paint my face in the England flag (St George's Cross) for the opening day of the World Cup and I'll go to the shop like it"

Within 2 hours they had £120! So Neil decided we should have a scale...£150, £200, £250 - and I stopped them there.

So this was the plan...
For £100 I would paint my face for the first day of the World Cup in St George's Cross
For £150 I would wear an England "cape" whilst cycling to and from work
For £200 I would do both the above for the duration of England being in the World Cup
For £250 I would do the above AND go to England's final game against Costa Rica in the pub and actively cheer England on - something I will own up to NEVER having done before.

Well, the people at work actually raised £276 for St Helena's Hospice charity - which is a great effort by them all as a lot of them are on minimum wage. So superb effort from them.

This is the result... (apologies for the quality)














This was done light hearted. It wasn't meant to be derogatory to England or St Georges Cross...it's just not something, as a Scot, I would choose to do.

So I've been cycling into work with an England flag waving behind me like I'm Captain England, having my face painted at work for the whole day and cycling home with my face painted AND the cape flowing behind.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

bayonetbrant

On the plus side, that £200 pledge level is going to get you off easy at this rate!

:)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

if i had the time i would drive down there and watch the Costa Rica game with you!!

awesome condiment display too!!

JudgeDredd

And I would even buy you a beer UCG...and brown sauce...it has to be!

Yes - it does look like I might only have to do this until Tuesday...but it's not over until the fat lady sings...so I'm not counting my chickens!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

TheCommandTent

Awesome JD, way to be a good sport for a great cause.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JudgeDredd

Thanks all - but plaudits really go to the people that donated.

They are continuously asked for money for charity. My work is always holding charity events and they always give...so they are a special bunch.  O0
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

Is your work hiring short jews? I'll make myself available.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 20, 2014, 01:05:38 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 20, 2014, 12:27:53 PMbut it's not over until the fat lady sings...


lol - she has indeed. Tuesday is the last day thank the gods!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Ubercat

Reminds me of the pizzeria I worked in for the first half of the 90's. They'd raise money to get employees (and owners) to do stupid things. The money would go to the person, though.

One of my bosses ate a 2 inch long, dead, dried out dragonfly that had been sitting in the windowsill, baking for at least a couple of weeks. He made about $50. Another boss failed to finish eating 8 oz of raw pizza dough and threw up. A girl earned around $40 for licking Ricotta cheese off the floor at the end of a busy day and before the mopping had been done. I could have made about $80 if I'd succeeded in holding my head under in a big bin of pizza sauce for an entire minute. I failed. (I had a plastic bag on.) Had they raised $200, I would have climbed into a barrel of cold, used fryer grease. They only made it to about $120 so I was off the hook for that one.

What can I say? The place was owned by guys a year or two out of college and the work force was almost all college kids and college aged kids.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

JudgeDredd

^ bloody hell...that's ALL just wrong!  :idiot2:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

bbmike

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 20, 2014, 12:18:29 PM
... To which Neil replied "There's a Jock in the office" - (me) - "...it's probably against his human rights or something"...

Being from the other side of the pond, I had to look that one up. Here that would have meant you went to the gym every day, played all sorts of sports and generally looked and talked like Arnold Schwarzenegger.  :)

As for the pizzeria that Ubercat refers to, we've probably all eaten there or a place just like it.  :buck2:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on June 20, 2014, 02:36:15 PMAs for the pizzeria that Ubercat refers to, we've probably all eaten there or a place just like it.  :buck2:

or got laid in one









I may have said too much...
^-^
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers