Ultimate General gameplay footage..

Started by TacticalWargames, March 30, 2014, 04:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

panzerde

I guess for $10 it's worth trying. I have to admit I'm still very skeptical about this engine though. Downloading now...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

Well, I take that back. Scourge of War it isn't, but it isn't bad at all. The game speed is ok and the UI is certainly easy to work with. Adding the contour lines to the map is a really nice touch.

I'm not sure this has the depth to be called a "classic" but it's definitely a fun and easily approachable Civil War game.

I'm glad I waited for the second patch. I didn't see the AI doing anything overtly "gamey" yet.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

TacticalWargames

I'm sure it isn't trying to be as grog like as SoW, nor should it in my opinion. As an approachable wargame that looks great and is easy to play plus has a good atmosphere I'm very impressed. The fact there is more work to come  can only be a good thing as it oozes potential.

It's great to play a wargame that is actually fun from start to finish without having stretches of mundane gameplay or fighting the UI or even too heavy on the old brain:)

Pick up play and watch the spectacle.

Rayfer

You guys are killing me. I've held off so far but with each read of this post my resolve weakens. But I can't stop myself from coming back to read more. I'm weak.  Help...!

TacticalWargames

Just do it mate...not that much to spend.

fabius

Quote from: panzerde on June 28, 2014, 11:58:05 AM

I'm not sure this has the depth to be called a "classic" but it's definitely a fun and easily approachable Civil War game.


Their road map aims at a Grand Strategy level on top. A different game, I'm sure, but nice battle engine to have to fight a grand campaign with.

undercovergeek

bought it, very nice

2 quickies - am i right in thinking artillery is a bit underpowered? i thought it would be devastating

is there any point defending water crossings or taking high ground - are those tactics represented?

jomni

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 28, 2014, 05:26:53 PM
bought it, very nice

2 quickies - am i right in thinking artillery is a bit underpowered? i thought it would be devastating

is there any point defending water crossings or taking high ground - are those tactics represented?

The attacking side will get tired easily when crossing or climbing.

fabius

The Guide isn't fully fleshed out yet but the devs said that elevation also affects morale.

I've found General proximity, cover, and flanks secured the 3 biggies.

JasonPratt

^^ True dat!

I guess I'll need to restart my campaign now, though -- fortunately I have enough sense not to get too far into it yet. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

fabius

Update is due today, so may as well make sure you've got that first.

They also mentioned multiplayer is high priority due for version .9


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: fabius on July 04, 2014, 01:38:15 PM
Update is due today, so may as well make sure you've got that first.

They also mentioned multiplayer is high priority due for version .9

Which update is this?  Is there any info on it?  Haven't seen an update today.

fabius

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 04, 2014, 06:40:28 PM
Quote from: fabius on July 04, 2014, 01:38:15 PM
Update is due today, so may as well make sure you've got that first.

They also mentioned multiplayer is high priority due for version .9

Which update is this?  Is there any info on it?  Haven't seen an update today.

Somebody posted that they found it easy.

Darth replied: "Lets see in the next patch of today!"

That's all I have.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: fabius on July 04, 2014, 07:02:38 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 04, 2014, 06:40:28 PM
Quote from: fabius on July 04, 2014, 01:38:15 PM
Update is due today, so may as well make sure you've got that first.

They also mentioned multiplayer is high priority due for version .9

Which update is this?  Is there any info on it?  Haven't seen an update today.

Somebody posted that they found it easy.

Darth replied: "Lets see in the next patch of today!"

That's all I have.

Ok, thanks...I guess we will see what they got...

Grim.Reaper

Patch now out...seems like some good gameplay enhancements...


0.82 patch brings Mac support (Very soon it will be enabled) and focuses on major AI & Gameplay improvements that were needed according to user feedback. Of course there were many essential bug fixes that make the game much more stable and we have addressed the annoying save bugs that could prevent you to continue your battle campaign normally.

Please read the full info in our blog: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/ultimate-general-released-3rdpatch

OR more summarised below


Ultimate General: Gettysburg Patch 0.82 rev4685
---------------------


NEW SPECIAL FEATURES
• [SOON AVAILABLE] Ultimate General: Gettysburg is now officially available for Mac! If you already own the Windows PC version and have a Mac PC you can launch the game via Steam and play it updated to the latest version.
Note 1: An issue that also exists temporarily in PC but can be more evident in Retina displays is that controls are not very responsive in resolutions bigger than 1920x1080. If you notice map drag, movement arrows, rotation to not work very well according to your movements then lower the resolution via display settings.
Note 2: Bug reporter button is not available in Mac version.
• Unit formation shapes now follow the ground morphology more accurately so you will be able to understand elevation and height more effectively together with the height map function of M key. Due to this enhanced visual setting the battlefield looks more realistic.


GAMEPLAY IMPROVEMENTS
• Major AI improvement. AI now plays more positionally and can be a very strong defender in all characters. Previous cases that made it possible to encircle AI (especially the Union) and destroy or corner it to the map, is now a very rare or nonexistent issue.
• AI now is able to make effectively "organic" formations and lines, securing areas with cannons and standing troops. AI will now keep much better distances between enemy and friendly units, and will use reserves and fresh troops more wisely.
• Melee balances in damages and mechanics. Now melee is much more decisive visually and in impact. You will see soldiers to expand, fight around their area and create a more realistic visual chaos. Charging and frequent hand to hand combat can bring victorious moments but also heavy disorganization and exhaustion to realistic levels.
• Combat, morale mechanics and general game balance are further improved to sustain the slower more realistic pace but also to fix issues that could make action and movement rates too slow in some cases.
• Your units will behave even more intelligently, making lines, rotating to enemy and targeting without overusing this self-awareness ability.
• Union vs Confederate combat effectiveness balanced better. Please report if Union is now a bit more powered in defense than necessary so we fine tune in next patch.
• Improved soldier movement mechanics to be more realistic, less synced.
• Slocum and Stannard now come sooner as was needed in the speculative scenarios of prolonged Confederate attack in the 1st day.


PERFORMANCE/GAME STABILITY
• Included the hotfix of ability to run game via alternate renderer for those who have difficulties launching the game: