Deep Space Settlement - looks like Homeworld but with customisable ships

Started by undercovergeek, July 08, 2014, 10:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

undercovergeek



Grim.Reaper

Pre order info here....$50....

http://dss.stephanierct.com/#preorder

Seems like first access is still 6 months away or so...

sandman2575

um, WOW    :o   

I will definitely be following the development of this one.  Thanks for posting.

...but "Deep Space Settlement" for a title?  That's really the best they could come up with?  :'(

GDS_Starfury

looks great.  dunno how I feel about the base building bit though.
while resource collection and building was a main part of the HW series it was always kept light, mobil and mostly in the backround.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Jarhead0331

Not going to look...not going to look...not going to look...damn it...I just looked.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


sandman2575

I've long wanted a space 4x RTS that has deep ship design -- the kind where you can actually arrange the hulls, not the abstracted kind of ship design you have in Distant Worlds, Star Ruler, Endless Space, etc.  It's one thing I love about Galactic Civs II, but that's TBS, and the 3d combat with the ships you design is pretty damn cartoony and unsatisfying. 

Sword of the Stars II comes closest, but there you are still only adding / modifying components to set hull designs.  (Still a very underrated game, btw.)

Also, I love the Homeworld aesthetic that the (atrociously named) Deep Space Settlement is trying to capture.  I want space cruisers to look like sophisticated, menacing dreadnoughts, not the comic-book ship aesthetics that seem the norm, again, with Distant Worlds, Armada 2575, Sins of a Solar Empire, and alas, SOTSII...  I want ships to look like they do in EVE and X3.

...please, please let this game live up to its potential -------

GDS_Starfury

cant say Ive ever been a fan of the EVE ship designs.  its probably the main thing thats kept me from playing it.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


bobarossa

Quote from: sandman2575 on July 08, 2014, 01:32:45 PM
I've long wanted a space 4x RTS that has deep ship design -- the kind where you can actually arrange the hulls, not the abstracted kind of ship design you have in Distant Worlds, Star Ruler, Endless Space, etc.  It's one thing I love about Galactic Civs II, but that's TBS, and the 3d combat with the ships you design is pretty damn cartoony and unsatisfying. 

Sword of the Stars II comes closest, but there you are still only adding / modifying components to set hull designs.  (Still a very underrated game, btw.)

Also, I love the Homeworld aesthetic that the (atrociously named) Deep Space Settlement is trying to capture.  I want space cruisers to look like sophisticated, menacing dreadnoughts, not the comic-book ship aesthetics that seem the norm, again, with Distant Worlds, Armada 2575, Sins of a Solar Empire, and alas, SOTSII...  I want ships to look like they do in EVE and X3.

...please, please let this game live up to its potential -------
Have you checked out Predestination?  Here's their Kickstarter page.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nyphur/predestination-3d-ship-designer-a-turn-based-space?ref=live
The ship designer was an expansion on the associated game so it doesn't just design ships. 

sandman2575

Wasn't aware of Predestination -- thanks.  Although from the look of it, this doesn't excite me nearly as much as Deep Space Settlement.  Ship design seems very reminiscent of Gal Civ II... leaves me with a 'been there, done that' impression -- maybe unfair, but that's my first impression. 

Nefaro

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 08, 2014, 02:33:18 PM
cant say Ive ever been a fan of the EVE ship designs.  its probably the main thing thats kept me from playing it.

Most of the Eve ships are fugly as sin, for sure.  The only faction with somewhat appealing ones are the Amarr.  But their favored weapon and having the slowest ship speeds make them the oddball one out of the bunch.

GDS_Starfury

as a person who's been very interested in design, both military and civilian, the HW craft are common sense.  it's what makes it work on so many levels.  you look at the ship designs and it's no problem buying into that universe.  what's bad looks bad and whats yours look purposeful.  and the best adversaries had the best looking kit.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Gusington

Great looking game, horrible title...they should change it.

Damn you ucg.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd