Gunship! by Microprose

Started by Great Ajax, July 11, 2014, 12:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Great Ajax

Interesting.  Gunship! is now available on Steam.

Trey

-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Shelldrake

I could never get the hang of the controls in Gunship which was odd since I had no trouble with the Jane's Longbow sims and Enemy Engaged sims.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

bbmike

Quote from: Shelldrake on July 11, 2014, 12:26:33 PM
I could never get the hang of the controls in Gunship which was odd since I had no trouble with the Jane's Longbow sims and Enemy Engaged sims.

For me, not just Gunship. I could never get the hang of the controls in any helicopter game.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

#4
One of my first and most beloved sims, and I was actually good at it. But I wonder if I could play it happily now...it must look really dated.

Edit: actually its much newer than the version I first played back in 1986. Looks pretty good. In scrren shots anyway.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Besides graphically I wonder how different the newer version is...played the old version a ton and loved it!  $7 doesn't seem like much to try.

Shelldrake

Quote from: Gusington on July 11, 2014, 12:49:10 PM
One of my first and most beloved sims, and I was actually good at it. But I wonder if I could play it happily now...it must look really dated.

Edit: actually its much newer than the version I first played back in 1986. Looks pretty good. In scrren shots anyway.

This looks to be Gunship! from 2000 as opposed to Gunship (1986) and Gunship 2000 (1991). What difference an exclamation mark makes!! Even so I am not to sure how well the graphics will hold up in 2014.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd


Grim.Reaper

Based on review likely will pass

Jack Nastyface

I recall playing this and having some fun with it, but some of the missions were very "puzzle like" - meaning, you had to find the one place on the map where you could do pop-up attacks, and if you didn't kill off all enemy assets in a particular order, you were screwed.  I had much more fun with Gunship 2000.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

RooksBailey

Quote from: Gusington on July 11, 2014, 12:49:10 PM
One of my first and most beloved sims, and I was actually good at it.

Mine, too!  The career mode was one of the best ever made.  I recall one mission where we were sent out to shoot up a WP tank column.  I took a hit from something and the helo went into a spin.  I managed to keep control and land on the side of a hill.  But the hill was too steep so we started sliding down the side.   :D  We slid all the way down before we could escape the totally wrecked craft.  IIRC, I made it back to friendly lines without being captured. 

Such great memories....
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Gusington

For whatever reason my favorite missions were in the desert, and night missions. Sometimes I would play with a friend and we would coop, one of use would pilot and the other would be gunner.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RooksBailey

Quote from: Gusington on July 11, 2014, 02:09:22 PM
For whatever reason my favorite missions were in the desert, and night missions. Sometimes I would play with a friend and we would coop, one of use would pilot and the other would be gunner.

Desert missions were fun.  WP/NATO was my favorite, but I also loved the Vietnam setting.  That had some great stuff, too.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Grim.Reaper

The campaign was great...really liked it...just sounds like this version might not be it though:(