Gunship! by Microprose

Started by Great Ajax, July 11, 2014, 12:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on July 11, 2014, 12:49:10 PM
One of my first and most beloved sims, and I was actually good at it. But I wonder if I could play it happily now...it must look really dated.

Edit: actually its much newer than the version I first played back in 1986. Looks pretty good. In scrren shots anyway.

I'm with you on that one - Gunship (1986) was one of my go-to games along with F-15 Strike Eagle. I wasn't very good at Gunship, but that didn't stop me from trying.

Gusington

TBH I didn't know a version this new existed.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

#17
Gamespot review of Gunship! (with the exclamation point, yes):

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/gunship-review/1900-2558759/

EDIT: My bad, saw this was already posted.  :-\

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 11, 2014, 02:25:12 PM
Gamespot review of Gunship! (with the exclamation point, yes):

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/gunship-review/1900-2558759/

EDIT: My bad, saw this was already posted.  :-\

Helps reinforce it:)

Grim.Reaper

You can buy it in a 4-pack game at Amazon:)  Although not sure if the current version has been modified to work with new operating systems.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005NURL/qid=1012094859/br=1-4/ref=br_lf_vg_4/


Jarhead0331

I'd be much more excited if this was Gunship 2000. Now THAT was an outstanding sim.

Interestingly, Steam has been releasing old school sims lately.  I noticed not too long ago, they added Eurofighter Typhoon to their catalog.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 11, 2014, 02:37:32 PM
and a demo....

https://archive.org/details/GunshipDemo

Yikes, played around with the demo a little bit...does seem dated...

1)  The demo actually doesn't install, just a single file you have to run.
2)  Worked with my xbox controller, very surprised with that
3)  Graphics, really hard to make out certain things....

That was enough to pack it up for me:)

Jarhead0331

But weren't you recently playing and enjoying F117?  Certainly, Gunship! is not as dated as F117...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 11, 2014, 03:32:40 PM
But weren't you recently playing and enjoying F117?  Certainly, Gunship! is not as dated as F117...

Might be just my settings, but a second helicopter appeared and had no idea it was a helicopter, look like a blotch of some sort.  Can't argue not any worse than f117, but didn't end up playing that very long either...maybe if this was the original version I would give more of a chance.  I am sure I could get $7 of fun out of it.  I get wrapped up in nostalgia just to relive history for a little bit, especially for cheap price.


Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 11, 2014, 03:40:59 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 11, 2014, 03:32:40 PM
But weren't you recently playing and enjoying F117?  Certainly, Gunship! is not as dated as F117...

Might be just my settings, but a second helicopter appeared and had no idea it was a helicopter, look like a blotch of some sort.  Can't argue not any worse than f117, but didn't end up playing that very long either...maybe if this was the original version I would give more of a chance.  I am sure I could get $7 of fun out of it.  I get wrapped up in nostalgia just to relive history for a little bit, especially for cheap price.

Me too...me too.  I am almost always disappointed when I buy one of those old classics. Some things are better left as good memories.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Grim.Reaper

#26
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 11, 2014, 03:58:26 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 11, 2014, 03:40:59 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 11, 2014, 03:32:40 PM
But weren't you recently playing and enjoying F117?  Certainly, Gunship! is not as dated as F117...

Might be just my settings, but a second helicopter appeared and had no idea it was a helicopter, look like a blotch of some sort.  Can't argue not any worse than f117, but didn't end up playing that very long either...maybe if this was the original version I would give more of a chance.  I am sure I could get $7 of fun out of it.  I get wrapped up in nostalgia just to relive history for a little bit, especially for cheap price.

Me too...me too.  I am almost always disappointed when I buy one of those old classics. Some things are better left as good memories.

Agreed, but luckily they are usually pretty cheap so even if you get just a few hours reliving your past, worth it to me:)  But I am getting a little more picky, but not overly picky:)

Grim.Reaper

So I do have to take some of my initial impressions away....didn't realize there was a configuration screen where I could select higher graphics and 1920x1080 screen resolution...after that, better graphics...not great, but I could see things much better now.....remember, this is from a demo version from long ago, have no idea if the same as this released version.

panzerde

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 11, 2014, 03:58:26 PM
Me too...me too.  I am almost always disappointed when I buy one of those old classics. Some things are better left as good memories.

Loved this sim when it was new. About the only helicopter sim I've ever done well with. Microprose was my "go to" gaming company back then.

And that's the reason I'm going to give this one a pass. Even if this version is good, the combination of aging graphics and my aging reflexes sound to me like a recipe for ruining good memories!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Grim.Reaper

hhmm...just had a nice attack run...killed three tanks with hellfire missiles....usually in these games I don't hit a darn thing:)  One thing for sure, it is a lot easier to control than most sims I have played, probably leans more towards simplified controls compared to hardcore, which may not be that bad for some people.  The demo does not give you much to try besides a single mission and the ability to fly around....but I did find it very easy to control the helicopter, likely because not real life controls.  What has surprised me is the fact for a 2000 game, my xbox gamepad works fine and default out of the box.  You can't do everything from the gamepad, so some keyboard action still required.  The game has a campaign mode, but locked in the demo so don't know how it works yet.

It is likely one of those games to kill some time with....I was probably a little harsh earlier, still likely not like the old game, but if your looking for a simplistic helicopter game, you might like it....try the demo a few threads up first...you don't even have to install...just unzip and click the game file.