Main Menu

Empire Total War

Started by jomni, July 17, 2014, 01:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

ETW vanilla. Why does the AI just stand and do nothing? Any mod that fixes AI behavior?

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on July 17, 2014, 01:52:39 AM
ETW vanilla. Why does the AI just stand and do nothing? Any mod that fixes AI behavior?

Yeah.  It's called Napoleon Total War.  But that one still has some issues - just not as many.

It's too bad CA left ETW in such a shitty state.  It would've been one of my favorites if it had been of Shogun 2 quality.  :(

jomni

Lol.  So no mods actually fix this behavior.

Jarhead0331

I play with the Darth mod and really love it. However, I enjoyed vanilla too, so YMMV.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

Darthmod for sure. IIRC it does not fix the behavior of the AI during sieges, or the way sieges play out (with rope ladders and other oddities). Empire is my least favorite TW game, which is a shame because it was clearly an ambitious project. You're better off playing Napoleon for less headaches and a better AI.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Oche

Try DARTHMOD Jomni for ETW, it sometimes crashes though.

Boggit

+1 re DarthMod. IIRC there is also another mod which adds lots of individual historical uniforms, ships etc - yep, the Additional Units Mod I was thinking rnamentum, but this mod includes that... 

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?250655-Additional-Units-Mod-Empire-(AUM-EMP)-3-3-updated-11-12-13
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

jomni

Yeah I know about Darthmod  but I'm more concerned about the AI which it apparently doesn't fix.

undercovergeek

personally never had the AI just stare at me before - reload and start again?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 17, 2014, 09:42:21 AM
personally never had the AI just stare at me before - reload and start again?

+1. Never.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Sir Slash

I play with the American Revolution Mod and have enjoyed it a lot. It's very similar to Darthmod but with a lot of added units for all factions. The AI behavior is much better than vanilla but not more so than Darth. One big change is no unit can climb the walls of a fort. Instead the forts walls and gates have strength values that must be reduced by cannon fire before they collapse and make a breach. Almost any cannon will work if it's close enough but the big mortars and howitzers work best. And are more fun to watch. Battle AI is much better with either mod also. With the mods, Empire is probably my favorite TW game. I love the time period. The American Revolution Mod is an older mod and may not be supported any longer.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

The AI in Empire suffers from a severe case of Chronic Backstabbing Disorder -- worse than in just about any other Total War title I've played -- but I've not had that particular problem (where it just sits there on the battlefield and stares at you) either. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mikeck

Darthmod brings the game up to an acceptable level I think. It's not Shogun 2 or Rome 2 AI but it's good enough to have fun with
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

Slash that mod yiu mentioned is just cslled the American Revolution mod? I'd like to try it out.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Swatter

I want to love ETW, but I just can't. I want to bring myself to play it, but I can't. DarthMod makes the tactical battles more than acceptable IMO, but the strategic campaign is just too horrible to describe. The strategic AI is just so incredibly poor, especially playing a sea power. It all has so much unrealized potential.

Of course, having a sane strategic AI has never been a strong point of a CA game. It's kinda amazing after working on the same type of game for 15 years they can still have such crappy AI. CA is always in search of new, more shiny graphics or aesthetic improvements, which they always make progress on. Yet when it comes to AI, its always one step forward and one step back.