Main Menu

Smugglers 5

Started by spelk, October 05, 2012, 05:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

spelk

Smugglers 5 has been released! Homebrew indie turn based, space conquest and trading game.

http://www.nielsbauergames.com/smugglers5.html

The interface looks like Smugglers 4 which doesn't bode well, but perhaps Niels has managed to streamline the clickiness of the game. Some of the artwork looks very nice.

http://youtu.be/2d9rKMMm2oI

It is an interesting indie game, but it is a very acquired taste - mainly down to the interface and style of play. I enjoyed it whilst I played Smugglers 4 for a while, but the click heavy UI wears you down after a while. Good for short plays.

Bytten have a review of Smugglers 4 (76%)
http://bit.ly/Tb6Vot

Out of Eight also have a review (5/8)
http://bit.ly/UJotnE

AFAIK, the interface hasn't changed much into Smugglers 5. It' still the same restricted resolution, padding extra screen space with star spangled space. I think it's straightjacketed by the limitations of the development medium which Niels creates the game in. And Smugglers 5 isn't a rewrite of the engine. It's just an iteration.

There is a demo available, I would urge anyone interested in the title to try before you buy. You might fall in love with the homebrew feel and the depth afforded by years of evolution, but then again you might just as easily stumble upon the UI letdowns and the click heavy gameplay.

Niels reminds me a lot of Vic Davis from Cryptic Comet, he has the game design ideas, but the implementation is restricted by the development medium in which the game is built.

Huw the Poo

I took the plunge with Smugglers 3 and didn't really enjoy it.  There was the kernel of a good game in there but it was as shallow as a puddle.  Thus I skipped the fourth game and will likely skip this one.

BanzaiCat

It's only 3.99 right now at gog.com, so I went ahead and bought it after watching a couple of Let's Play videos. Looks minimalistic but intriguing, and for four bucks, it can't be too bad. If it is, oh well, four bucks.

Shelldrake

It is a good lunch time diversion at work.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Nefaro

Quote from: Shelldrake on July 20, 2014, 07:30:40 AM
It is a good lunch time diversion at work.

Yeah.. it's a mouse-clicker (no need for keyboard) that doesn't require too much commitment.  Good for a laid back pace and you don't have to reacquaint yourself with what you were doing in your save game if you haven't played in awhile.

Rayfer

Quote from: Nefaro on July 20, 2014, 08:30:29 AM
Quote from: Shelldrake on July 20, 2014, 07:30:40 AM
It is a good lunch time diversion at work.

Yeah.. it's a mouse-clicker (no need for keyboard) that doesn't require too much commitment.  Good for a laid back pace and you don't have to reacquaint yourself with what you were doing in your save game if you haven't played in awhile.

I got if from GOG awhile back.  Had some fun with it but after a short while it got very repetitive so I moved on and never looked back.  Nefaro's comments pretty much sum it up.