Naval War: Arctic Circle 75% down on Gamersgate

Started by PAK, March 21, 2014, 05:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PAK

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-NWAC/naval-war-arctic-circle

Question for naval warfare buffs - is it worth to buy it? Theatre and whole campaign idea is interesting, game can be described as harpoon-lite. But is it true that it is left dead in the water - developer is gone and there is no support? IIRC NWAC was heavily bugged, was it improved?
Hermann, I'm counting in your oppinion. ;-)

Cheers
Pawel

Asid

If i can remember.
The manual was very lacking.
Tutorials Very basic and lacking.
UI is basic and functional
Graphics are what you see is what you get. Very basic but functional.
AI was a mixed bag it was good at times and at others it was just stupid.

I think there is zero support by the devs but at that price it could be worth a punt. If you have Harpoon then this will likely dissapoint but again it's a good price. The gameplay though not deep, especially compared to other titles is good.

Hope this was helpful.

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Asid

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

undercovergeek


Shelldrake

Quote from: Asid on March 21, 2014, 05:57:07 AM
There was a free expansion released as well

Naval War Arctic Circle: Operation Tarnhelm

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/press/2012/11/naval-war-arctic-circle-operation-tarnhelm-released

Expansion is $4.99 on Steam so doesn't appear to be free. In any case, a decent game on the level of Jane's Fleet Command as long as you can live without a save game feature.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Asid

Quote from: Shelldrake on March 21, 2014, 06:26:25 AM

Expansion is $4.99 on Steam so doesn't appear to be free.

My mistake. I thought it was originally free.
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Silent Disapproval Robot

It's not a bad game but there some serious problems with it.

As others have mentioned, there is no save feature for battles and as some of the larger scenarios last 4-6 hours, it's a major flaw.

The other problem didn't affect all users but it was common enough that Paradox recognized it and offered owners their choice of a free Paradox game by way of an apology.  For some users, the game would simply stop responding during play in some scenarios and a PC reboot was required. That happened on both my laptop and desktop PCs.


Herman Hum

Quote from: PAK on March 21, 2014, 05:40:45 AM
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-NWAC/naval-war-arctic-circle

Question for naval warfare buffs - is it worth to buy it? Theatre and whole campaign idea is interesting, game can be described as harpoon-lite. But is it true that it is left dead in the water - developer is gone and there is no support? IIRC NWAC was heavily bugged, was it improved?
Hermann, I'm counting in your oppinion. ;-)

Cheers
Pawel

The game is quite simplistic.  There are lots of folks who seem to have problems with this game.  I am one of them, but I have been able to play through every scenario available if I take precautions.  However, I think that not everyone is as lucky as I am.

Luckily, there is a demo so that you can see if you enjoy the game and whether it will run on your machine at all.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200050/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

I prepared a video to help some folks past the obstacles.  It has helped some (many?), but it has reportedly not been able to solve everyone's problems.



If you should get the game, give me a shout if you would like an MP match.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

tgb

$6 roughly on Steam this week.  Is this still being supported?  Did all the bugs ever get squashed, and, more importantly, was the save issue ever fixed?

Kushan

Quote from: tgb on July 28, 2014, 12:18:22 PM
$6 roughly on Steam this week.  Is this still being supported?  Did all the bugs ever get squashed, and, more importantly, was the save issue ever fixed?

Skip it. Developers abandoned it without fixing anything.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

tgb


Huw the Poo

Quote from: Kushan on July 28, 2014, 12:22:04 PM
Skip it. Developers abandoned it without fixing anything.

Exactly this.  Damn shame.

Skoop

Everyone had the hopes that this would be a fleet command redo, so potential squandered.  Oh well now that command is out it scratches the naval warfare itch.  Would be great if command had 3d platform animation added down the road though.

RyanE

I am curious what the attraction is for a naval simulation having 3D pictures of the units.  To me, you are either the ship commander/officer in a 3D environment or in a command center monitoring the battle/situation on a map with units.  Why is there an desire to having a 3D display connected to a map that really doesn't make use of the 3D capabilities?

I always felt that command used up too much development and CPU resources trying to get that little 3D window to display.