Main Menu

AGEODS Civil War 2

Started by Blucher, July 02, 2014, 09:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Boggit

I've got it, plus the expansion. I'd say it is a lot more streamlined than the original AGEOD's Civil War, plus has more historical detail. Philippe Malacher of AGEOD gave me a few examples when we were at HOW 2104 of the depth of research that went into it - amazing.

IMHO it's definitely worth  buying in the sale if the Civil War at a strategic/Operational level interests you.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

BanzaiCat

I haven't played a grand scale Civil War game on the PC since SSI's No Greater Glory. That game was a huge pain in the ass - it was very hard, but compelling enough to keep me coming back for more. I really liked how politics were integrated into it (you had to choose your cabinet and generals carefully lest you piss off a portion of your country), forcing you at times to make decisions you really don't want to make, like appointing incompetent generals.

http://www.paperstreetbrigade.com/blog/?p=23071

I hadn't really paid attention to this until this thread and now it is on my list.

Boggit

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 29, 2014, 03:54:13 PM
I haven't played a grand scale Civil War game on the PC since SSI's No Greater Glory. That game was a huge pain in the ass - it was very hard, but compelling enough to keep me coming back for more. I really liked how politics were integrated into it (you had to choose your cabinet and generals carefully lest you piss off a portion of your country), forcing you at times to make decisions you really don't want to make, like appointing incompetent generals.

http://www.paperstreetbrigade.com/blog/?p=23071

I hadn't really paid attention to this until this thread and now it is on my list.
@Banzai Cat :)

You might enjoy it then...
These links will give you a flavour of what it's like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHuwjpI3ICo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIjFoi6Mqpo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfT7rmgtFaY

There are quite a few of these tutorials, but if you've got this far you should be able to find the rest without trouble. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

BanzaiCat

Nice! I was going to go search for videos later but this saves me time. Thanks, Boggit!  O0

mikeck

It is hands down the best strategic/operation game on the US civil war. That simple
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on July 30, 2014, 07:47:42 PM
It is hands down the best strategic/operation game on the US civil war. That simple

  As usual, I agree with Mikeck.

sandman2575

+2   

I can't really go back to Forge of Freedom after experiencing what AGEOD has done here with CW2...  Terrific game.

Rayfer

Quote from: sandman2575 on July 30, 2014, 10:48:17 PM
+2   

I can't really go back to Forge of Freedom after experiencing what AGEOD has done here with CW2...  Terrific game.

Sandman's experience has been mine as well....a fully functional map that is quite beautiful as well is just one of many great aspects of this gem.

Boggit

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 29, 2014, 04:15:04 PM
Nice! I was going to go search for videos later but this saves me time. Thanks, Boggit!  O0
You're very welcome. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

@Nefaro

Try using the AGEOD website http://www.ageod.com/ as your source for AGEOD patches. In my experience they are always up to date - and work. The Matrix site isn't bad, but the patches are not always the current one. Hope that helps. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bbmike

Quote from: mikeck on July 30, 2014, 07:47:42 PM
It is hands down the best strategic/operation game on the US civil war. That simple

Agreed. BUT, Forge of Freedom is the best strategic/operation game with tactical battles on the US Civil War.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

#41
Quote from: Boggit on July 31, 2014, 03:58:10 PM
@Nefaro

Try using the AGEOD website http://www.ageod.com/ as your source for AGEOD patches. In my experience they are always up to date - and work. The Matrix site isn't bad, but the patches are not always the current one. Hope that helps. :)

I generally get them from the AGE forums anyway.   Just a bit sad that I couldn't get a Steam version of PON since I originally bought it from Gamersgate (pre-ordered).   Pretty much all my AGE games were purchased through the old AGEOD site or Gamersgate at some point.  I already had most of the stuff before Matrix started publishing them.  I'm sure the AGE guys would probably give me keys for what I own, because they're excellent in taking care of their customers, but I don't really need the Steam version anyway.

I'm not worried about it since it still works with the AGEOD forum patches and I can still download the installers from Gamersgate.

Boggit

Quote from: Nefaro on July 31, 2014, 04:59:56 PM
Quote from: Boggit on July 31, 2014, 03:58:10 PM
@Nefaro

Try using the AGEOD website http://www.ageod.com/ as your source for AGEOD patches. In my experience they are always up to date - and work. The Matrix site isn't bad, but the patches are not always the current one. Hope that helps. :)

I generally get them from the AGE forums anyway.   Just a bit sad that I couldn't get a Steam version of PON since I originally bought it from Gamersgate (pre-ordered).   Pretty much all my AGE games were purchased through the old AGEOD site or Gamersgate at some point.  I already had most of the stuff before Matrix started publishing them.  I'm sure the AGE guys would probably give me keys for what I own, because they're excellent in taking care of their customers, but I don't really need the Steam version anyway.

I'm not worried about it since it still works with the AGEOD forum patches and I can still download the installers from Gamersgate.
I'm just like you with my AGEOD stuff being a mix of DVD, and download. I usually keep the latest patch backed up anyway, so if you're ever stuck - not that I expect you will, but... - PM me, and I'll email you the patch.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Nefaro

#43
Quote from: Boggit on August 01, 2014, 04:24:27 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 31, 2014, 04:59:56 PM

I generally get them from the AGE forums anyway.   Just a bit sad that I couldn't get a Steam version of PON since I originally bought it from Gamersgate (pre-ordered).   Pretty much all my AGE games were purchased through the old AGEOD site or Gamersgate at some point.  I already had most of the stuff before Matrix started publishing them.  I'm sure the AGE guys would probably give me keys for what I own, because they're excellent in taking care of their customers, but I don't really need the Steam version anyway.

I'm not worried about it since it still works with the AGEOD forum patches and I can still download the installers from Gamersgate.

I'm just like you with my AGEOD stuff being a mix of DVD, and download. I usually keep the latest patch backed up anyway, so if you're ever stuck - not that I expect you will, but... - PM me, and I'll email you the patch.

Thanks.

I forgot.. I also have at least two of them on DVD.  ;D

It's become a bit more difficult to track down some of the latest patches on the AGE forums.  I recall looking for one not too long ago, and couldn't find it in the specific game forum at all.  They used to be stickies in that game's forum section.  Then some were being posted in the "Help Improve The Game" section.  Now it looks like they moved them all to a separate one or something, but I still had to look around.