Heroes & Generals is looking good

Started by jomni, May 08, 2014, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on July 19, 2014, 10:08:38 PM
Quote from: jomni on July 19, 2014, 09:33:28 PM
Oh so I see Germany won the war!  ;D
Buy I can't join any new one.   :(

  Servers seem to be on the blink.  Steam seems to have unleashed quite a load onto the server system.

Their server capacity isn't very high.  So whenever H&G gets a little publicity somewhere, they get overloaded.  That's what happened when I first tried to play.  It took 2 or 3 days to get into the game (much of the time their servers were down) because some RPS article (IIRC?) came out about the latest update to the game which added some stuff.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on July 20, 2014, 12:27:02 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 19, 2014, 10:08:38 PM
Quote from: jomni on July 19, 2014, 09:33:28 PM
Oh so I see Germany won the war!  ;D
Buy I can't join any new one.   :(

  Servers seem to be on the blink.  Steam seems to have unleashed quite a load onto the server system.

Their server capacity isn't very high.  So whenever H&G gets a little publicity somewhere, they get overloaded.  That's what happened when I first tried to play.  It took 2 or 3 days to get into the game (much of the time their servers were down) because some RPS article (IIRC?) came out about the latest update to the game which added some stuff.

There were also 2 wars running (I was in Hannibal).  The Germans won that one in 10 game days (5 earthly days and 5 sidereal days and/or 5 surreal days) and I assume a lot of players tried to get into the only war still running (Julius...named for Gisgo's other brother, Mago Julius).  If the Germans aren't winning that one too I'd be very surprised; they certainly blasted the US Army off of all 3 maps I was on last night.  I got 7 kills somehow, but they got me around 30 times.  Once an airplane hit me with lethal results for me and I thought: that can't be a good idea and sure enough, next time I ran out to get killed, the plane hit the ground while trying to kill an infantryman with its wings.  I've never seen that in a game.  Those German players must be very very good to hit people with planes.  I was impressed, but it does give the average infantry man an unusual anti air weapon == just standing below a deceptive slope seems to work.

jomni

Ah. It took a long time to synchronize the map for me.  But I'm now in.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on July 20, 2014, 07:12:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 20, 2014, 12:27:02 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 19, 2014, 10:08:38 PM
Quote from: jomni on July 19, 2014, 09:33:28 PM
Oh so I see Germany won the war!  ;D
Buy I can't join any new one.   :(

  Servers seem to be on the blink.  Steam seems to have unleashed quite a load onto the server system.

Their server capacity isn't very high.  So whenever H&G gets a little publicity somewhere, they get overloaded.  That's what happened when I first tried to play.  It took 2 or 3 days to get into the game (much of the time their servers were down) because some RPS article (IIRC?) came out about the latest update to the game which added some stuff.

There were also 2 wars running (I was in Hannibal).  The Germans won that one in 10 game days (5 earthly days and 5 sidereal days and/or 5 surreal days) and I assume a lot of players tried to get into the only war still running (Julius...named for Gisgo's other brother, Mago Julius).  If the Germans aren't winning that one too I'd be very surprised; they certainly blasted the US Army off of all 3 maps I was on last night.  I got 7 kills somehow, but they got me around 30 times.  Once an airplane hit me with lethal results for me and I thought: that can't be a good idea and sure enough, next time I ran out to get killed, the plane hit the ground while trying to kill an infantryman with its wings.  I've never seen that in a game.  Those German players must be very very good to hit people with planes.  I was impressed, but it does give the average infantry man an unusual anti air weapon == just standing below a deceptive slope seems to work.

So some of the German players seem to have some ubermenschlie skills.  I mean they are very very very good at the game.  All they need is a tiny pistol and a few planes and/or tanks.  It's kind of freaky running into one of these characters.  Usually I spot them long, long before they spot me and by their jerky (not jumpy, they only leap as needed) spazmotic yes-I-am-an-alien-teuton-in-a black-suit-and-googles-and-a-weird-hat demeanor, I know, yep its a JerryVet.  Somehow they can jerk around even on a bicycle.  I think realistically that much jerking around would injure you and whatnot -- but then what do I know? -- I've only played the game a couple of weeks.  And yes, I see the Jerry vet and yes I figure onlya bazzoka or a really big grenade is going to get the guy (I got one with a Thompson once and even then it was probably only that one of his spazzums hit a lamppost that enabled us to be in the same space-time continuum long enough for a lethal dose of bullets to accumulate in his Jerryatric system).  Sure, I see the enemy dude wiggling along and I know I'm going to hit him once or twice with a rifle bullet maybe and then he's going to pop up and shoot me in the head with a tiny pistol and kill me instantly. 
  I'm beginning to think, maybe I should leave these guys in their tanks or planes rather than blowing them up or shooting them down.  Also if they are driving a tank, their spasmatic movements are masked somehow by an invisible force field or something.  And really, nothing is more horrible than watching one bicycle toward you.  It's like watching a dentist drill a hole in his own face.  With a drill.  A dental drill.

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on July 24, 2014, 09:39:28 AM


So some of the German players seem to have some ubermenschlie skills.  I mean they are very very very good at the game.  All they need is a tiny pistol and a few planes and/or tanks.  It's kind of freaky running into one of these characters.  Usually I spot them long, long before they spot me and by their jerky (not jumpy, they only leap as needed) spazmotic yes-I-am-an-alien-teuton-in-a black-suit-and-googles-and-a-weird-hat demeanor, I know, yep its a JerryVet.  Somehow they can jerk around even on a bicycle.  I think realistically that much jerking around would injure you and whatnot -- but then what do I know? -- I've only played the game a couple of weeks.  And yes, I see the Jerry vet and yes I figure onlya bazzoka or a really big grenade is going to get the guy (I got one with a Thompson once and even then it was probably only that one of his spazzums hit a lamppost that enabled us to be in the same space-time continuum long enough for a lethal dose of bullets to accumulate in his Jerryatric system).  Sure, I see the enemy dude wiggling along and I know I'm going to hit him once or twice with a rifle bullet maybe and then he's going to pop up and shoot me in the head with a tiny pistol and kill me instantly. 
  I'm beginning to think, maybe I should leave these guys in their tanks or planes rather than blowing them up or shooting them down.  Also if they are driving a tank, their spasmatic movements are masked somehow by an invisible force field or something.  And really, nothing is more horrible than watching one bicycle toward you.  It's like watching a dentist drill a hole in his own face.  With a drill.  A dental drill.


Ahhh yes.

The Invincible Latency Soldiers.  High ping equals high survival when you can teleport out of a bullet's path!  It's like the f**king Matrix.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on July 24, 2014, 11:07:17 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 24, 2014, 09:39:28 AM


So some of the German players seem to have some ubermenschlie skills.  I mean they are very very very good at the game.  All they need is a tiny pistol and a few planes and/or tanks.  It's kind of freaky running into one of these characters.  Usually I spot them long, long before they spot me and by their jerky (not jumpy, they only leap as needed) spazmotic yes-I-am-an-alien-teuton-in-a black-suit-and-googles-and-a-weird-hat demeanor, I know, yep its a JerryVet.  Somehow they can jerk around even on a bicycle.  I think realistically that much jerking around would injure you and whatnot -- but then what do I know? -- I've only played the game a couple of weeks.  And yes, I see the Jerry vet and yes I figure onlya bazzoka or a really big grenade is going to get the guy (I got one with a Thompson once and even then it was probably only that one of his spazzums hit a lamppost that enabled us to be in the same space-time continuum long enough for a lethal dose of bullets to accumulate in his Jerryatric system).  Sure, I see the enemy dude wiggling along and I know I'm going to hit him once or twice with a rifle bullet maybe and then he's going to pop up and shoot me in the head with a tiny pistol and kill me instantly. 
  I'm beginning to think, maybe I should leave these guys in their tanks or planes rather than blowing them up or shooting them down.  Also if they are driving a tank, their spasmatic movements are masked somehow by an invisible force field or something.  And really, nothing is more horrible than watching one bicycle toward you.  It's like watching a dentist drill a hole in his own face.  With a drill.  A dental drill.


Ahhh yes.

The Invincible Latency Soldiers.  High ping equals high survival when you can teleport out of a bullet's path!  It's like the f**king Matrix.

Maybe that explains it.  Visually, it looks very odd.  Visually, in fact, HG looks stranger and stranger the more you look at it.  Not because anything looks particularly odd on its own, but the world is a very strange mix.  the whole scale is odd, though not necessarily at first glance.  or maybe I've just been on the same places on the same maps too many times now or played too much ARMAII/III to find such small spaces convincing -- they just are not quite spaces at all.  This is not to say the places (not spaces) don't have some weird charm.  I really like the huge church for example.  And I've been shot by creepy Jerryiatrics in black begoggled pilot suits and tiny black pistols all over that place.  I like the forested hills and dales where I've run over the occasional nooby German and blown up a half-dozen Jerryiatric tanks.

Nefaro

#36
I'd almost guarantee that's what is happening.  If they're "twitching" back & forth, then they have high latency issues.  It's terrible in most shooters because the hit detection goes out the window when they're "warping" all the time, and are often actually supposed to be in a different spot than where they're being displayed. 

I'm guessing that people from around the world are all playing on the same host server(s), so such latency issues will be likely.  In many privately hosted first-person shooters, they have latency limit options set to auto-kick people with too high latency so these problems don't come about.  Before the multi-player hosting options had those, a server Admin would often do that manually if they were on.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on July 24, 2014, 12:17:36 PM
I'd almost guarantee that's what is happening.  If they're "twitching" back & forth, then they have high latency issues.  It's terrible in most shooters because the hit detection goes out the window when they're "warping" all the time, and are often actually supposed to be in a different spot than where they're being displayed. 

I'm guessing that people from around the world are all playing on the same host server(s), so such latency issues will be likely.  In many privately hosted first-person shooters, they have latency limit options set to auto-kick people with too high latency so these problems don't come about.  Before the multi-player hosting options had those, a server Admin would often do that manually if they were on.

  That explains a lot.  I knew it happened all the time in WWII online, but in Red Orchestra my fast ping seemed to pay off massively and I assumed it had to do with hit detection logic -- ie WWII Online favored low ping and assumed a high ping hit wasn't  valid on a moving  low ping target most of the time.
  These days my ping is probably no faster than the average player's and i can often hit things in the HG environment, so assumed the HG hit detection was at least neutral (ie not favoring low ping), but I really have no idea what's going on (at many levels) in HG.  It is pretty funny though if not exactly fun in the sense I had excessive fun in Red Orchestra.

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on July 24, 2014, 12:31:52 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 24, 2014, 12:17:36 PM
I'd almost guarantee that's what is happening.  If they're "twitching" back & forth, then they have high latency issues.  It's terrible in most shooters because the hit detection goes out the window when they're "warping" all the time, and are often actually supposed to be in a different spot than where they're being displayed. 

I'm guessing that people from around the world are all playing on the same host server(s), so such latency issues will be likely.  In many privately hosted first-person shooters, they have latency limit options set to auto-kick people with too high latency so these problems don't come about.  Before the multi-player hosting options had those, a server Admin would often do that manually if they were on.

  That explains a lot.  I knew it happened all the time in WWII online, but in Red Orchestra my fast ping seemed to pay off massively and I assumed it had to do with hit detection logic -- ie WWII Online favored low ping and assumed a high ping hit wasn't  valid on a moving  low ping target most of the time.

Maybe a mix of the two.  Red Orchestra is one of the newer shooters that has Auto-Kick options for use on people with high latency.  That's a big reason the multi-player hit detection is often so much better than old games like WW2OL.  It just boots people with shitty lag that cause such problems.

QuoteThese days my ping is probably no faster than the average player's and i can often hit things in the HG environment, so assumed the HG hit detection was at least neutral (ie not favoring low ping), but I really have no idea what's going on (at many levels) in HG.  It is pretty funny though if not exactly fun in the sense I had excessive fun in Red Orchestra.

In my experience, high latency players in First-Person Shooters are more difficult to kill.  It may not be the case in every title, but it's the norm.  Laggers may also have issues actually hitting other people, too, but I don't think it's usually as bad as the other way around. 

I think the H&G servers are in Britain (IIRC).  It's probably a mixture of people from around the world playing in the same server so there will be a lot of difference in their pings from all over.

fabius

Finally got around to trying this.

Still in training, but after about 8 missions I can see this replacing RO2 as my go-to unwind when just wanting some quick action.

Hats off to the devs, they may well be revolutionising shooter with the Strategic overlay. Hope they increase map size to cover East Front, Italy, Balkans etc.

MengJiao

Quote from: fabius on July 26, 2014, 07:50:10 AM
Finally got around to trying this.

Still in training, but after about 8 missions I can see this replacing RO2 as my go-to unwind when just wanting some quick action.

Hats off to the devs, they may well be revolutionising shooter with the Strategic overlay. Hope they increase map size to cover East Front, Italy, Balkans etc.

  I think I'm in training pretty often too.  I always take random games because for some reason I'm convinced good ping means something and a lot of these seem to be "training" (which means what?  I have no idea -- but can it be bad?  Not from my "entertain me for 30 minutes" point of view, I suspect).

   Yes, its not a very serious game  (unlike say CMRT) -- but it does have lots of explosions!

fabius

Quote from: MengJiao on July 26, 2014, 10:52:58 AM
Quote from: fabius on July 26, 2014, 07:50:10 AM
Finally got around to trying this.

Still in training, but after about 8 missions I can see this replacing RO2 as my go-to unwind when just wanting some quick action.

Hats off to the devs, they may well be revolutionising shooter with the Strategic overlay. Hope they increase map size to cover East Front, Italy, Balkans etc.

  I think I'm in training pretty often too.  I always take random games because for some reason I'm convinced good ping means something and a lot of these seem to be "training" (which means what?  I have no idea -- but can it be bad?  Not from my "entertain me for 30 minutes" point of view, I suspect).

   Yes, its not a very serious game  (unlike say CMRT) -- but it does have lots of explosions!

That's just it, sometimes after work something CMRT just fries my head. So some quick action, but where we can get the feeling that it has a wider war context and matters is fantastic. I checked their site- definitely saying plans to expand with Brits and Russian after polishing US and Germans.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on July 26, 2014, 10:52:58 AM
Quote from: fabius on July 26, 2014, 07:50:10 AM
Finally got around to trying this.

Still in training, but after about 8 missions I can see this replacing RO2 as my go-to unwind when just wanting some quick action.

Hats off to the devs, they may well be revolutionising shooter with the Strategic overlay. Hope they increase map size to cover East Front, Italy, Balkans etc.

  I think I'm in training pretty often too. 

   Yes, I'm usually in training scenarios.  I'm still not quite sure what that means -- no relation to the strategic game probably.

   I got the simplest tank.  A US M2 thing with two MG turrets (seems like 1 MG turret, 1 20mm turret?  and a hull MG -- lots of MGs).

   Visually it was pretty fun.  The MGs raise dust and are generally sort of convincing.  I didn't kill any Germans, but the US Army won so
maybe I pinned them down or distracted them or something.  The Germans definitely wasted a lot of grenades on me and sniped at me (hoping I suppose I would panic and stick my head out).  I was resigned to my fate and stayed in my tank since I fully expected to get blown up right away on my first sortie in a tank -- but nope.  We just won the battle pretty fast.  I wasn't disappointed since I just wanted a tank training event anyway.

jomni

#43
Training has no impact on the war. But when you chose the armor profession, there will be less campaign battles to join because it depends on available armor units in the map. I end up doing training myself.

I also became a tanker recently and that beginner tank just sucks. Can't wait to get a Stuart. I had a fun session were we found an abandoned, Panzer IV. Since we are tankers, We unlocked it and took it for a spin against the Germans. Now that's a powerful tank.  Tanks can have a second crew member to man the HMG.

MengJiao

Quote from: jomni on August 01, 2014, 01:23:24 AM
Training has no impact on the war. But when you chose the armor profession, there will be less campaign battles to join because it depends on available armor units in the map. I end up doing training myself.

I also became a tanker recently and that beginner tank just sucks. Can't wait to get a Stuart. I had a fun session were we found an abandoned, Panzer IV. Since we are tankers, We unlocked it and took it for a spin against the Germans. Now that's a powerful tank.  Tanks can have a second crew member to man the HMG.

  I've only been on two tank "missions."  I kind of like the starter tank.  The two missions were very odd compared to my old infantry experience.  For one thing, I think the experienced Germans don't bother with training missions as much or something.  In the pregame screen it looked like the Germans all had pretty good ranks (but low ping), but in both battles, the US Army just ran right over them with fast wins on that map with the Church and the Chateau and the Police Station and the bridges (My favorite map).  So maybe I can't read German ranks or something.  Anyway, so far the starter tank has been pretty fun.