Main Menu

Hps Middle East?

Started by Grim.Reaper, August 03, 2014, 04:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Thinking of picking this up even though probably not the greatest from ai/graphics standpoint, but interested in the material it covers.  This is available from hps in physical form and tiller in download.

I can get the hps version for about half the price as the download so leaning that way...so my question.  Are both versions equally updated or is only the tiller version updated nowadays?  Wasn't sure if the vowed to get both versions updated, if new updates ever came out.

reapagan

Pretty sure there are no differences, the updates for the latest versions are all downloads on the HPS site.

panzerde

I don't believe there have been any updates to this beyond what's available at the HPS website. Right now I only see one title (Campaign Waterloo) that specifically indicates that the update is only for the JTS version.

These don't tend to get a lot of updates, anyway. The basic engine is pretty stable after all these years.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Grim.Reaper

I believe it did have an update in Feb 2013, not bad for a game that was released in 2002, receiving 11 years of support....no idea if any further updates will come, but probably unlikely...

So before I pull the trigger, any comments on the game itself?  Good representation of the middle east conflict?

jomni

I can only talk about Fulda Gap.

Asid

Mods for HPS games including Middle East 67
http://volcanomods.com
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Cougar_DK

And be sure to take a look at the MapMod site: http://www.hist-sdc.com/MapMod/modern.htm

I really like his map graphic  O0
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Micha

Hi Grim Reaper,

you could also check out Peoples General IDF; it covers many wars in middle east.

Here for free download:

www.peoplesgeneral.de

Micha

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for the mod links, those do look nice.....

Micha

To play this games you must learn the basicrules of Peoples General.

Nefaro

Quote from: reapagan on August 03, 2014, 06:37:29 PM
Pretty sure there are no differences, the updates for the latest versions are all downloads on the HPS site.

The HPS version has no DRM on it.

That's a big difference IMO.

chemkid

jts versions ARE different from hps versions.
i bought all my panzer campaigns from jts and almost all are updated to their new download-only model (license?).
e.g. smolensk from jts is NOT compatible with mapmod from jison - the tileset is a little different.
other panzer campaigns have similar problems - mods are not 100% working - especially the tilesets.

Philippe

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 03, 2014, 04:54:22 PM
Thinking of picking this up even though probably not the greatest from ai/graphics standpoint, but interested in the material it covers.  This is available from hps in physical form and tiller in download.

I can get the hps version for about half the price as the download so leaning that way...so my question.  Are both versions equally updated or is only the tiller version updated nowadays?  Wasn't sure if the vowed to get both versions updated, if new updates ever came out.

I bought this direct from JTS a couple of months back.  I believe that going forward JTS versions will probably get patched before the equivalent HPS versions.

I discovered, to my surprise, that there are a few slight differences between the graphics of the JTS and HPS versions.  I found this out when I installed the Volcano Man mod, hoping that my own modding days were over.

First, let me say that the Volcano Man mod is absolutely essential, because there are several scenarios and at least one campaign that are not covered in the vanilla game for some reason, but that are covered by the mod.  So if you haven't played the game with his mod installed, you haven't experienced the whole game by a long shot.

The main difference between the HPS and JTS versions has to do with where the engine goes to look for terrain on the terrain bitmaps.  The JTS version has terrain features which don't appear in the HPS version, so Jison's mods, which are keyed to the HPS version, don't really work with the JTS version.

I've put together a mod based on Volcano Man and the JTS version which I haven't released yet because I'm still working on the sound files.  I had to order two cd's from Italy which took three months to arrive (they finally showed up last week) and when I've sorted through them and subjected my neighbors to several hours of Arab music, I'll be able to finish the mod.  The graphics part of the mod was finished months ago, and looks somewhat similar to what I did with my two Panzer Campaigns North Africa mods.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Boggit

Quote from: Asid on August 03, 2014, 10:16:06 PM
Mods for HPS games including Middle East 67
http://volcanomods.com
^^Definitely a major improvement for the unit card graphics.

There are a few other graphic mods that make a huge difference - Philippe Devine's are very good, Map Mod, and assorted art mods like Hans Boersma's modern town/city/village, and Bill Peters road mod are ideal additions. If you get it, Al Sandriks collections of scenarios will take you into the 1973 Yom Kippur conflict, and Syria 2006 - a lot of well designed sceeanrios there. Also get hold of Péter Szabó's 1982 Lebanon scenario which is very good.

Hope that helps. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Asid

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying