A return of SSI...sort of

Started by GibbyG, August 08, 2014, 06:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TacticalWargames

Quote from: bbmike on August 08, 2014, 06:27:31 PM
Three words....Soldiers At War!

That and 101st Airborne, West Front and Close Combat are the games that got me to The Wargamer and the rest is history.

ArizonaTank

They are missing Koger.  The guy who designed many of the games I care most about...Tanks....Age of Rifles....Red Lightning.  Hopefully they can spring him out of Storm Eagle Studios.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bbmike

Bloody hell,  how could I forget Age of Rifles! Yes!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

Sadly, if that article is accurate, seems like they are only focused on RPG games, not the war games....too bad, really loved the wargames....I still remember waiting for their catalogs and reading them over and over...and then when you got their products, it was in an excellent big box with good artwork, with a good manual......the good old days.

Sir Slash

One of my very first wargame experiences was that "Oh Shit" feeling as Kampgruppe's mass of T-34's rushed my Flak 88's and just kept coming until they lay in smoking ruin in front of my guns. Glorious!!!
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

Oh hell. They could stay busy for MANY years, just updating their old classic games to modern platforms. There's plenty of us that would buy the crap out of anything they produce.

As for who the hell cares for their RPGs - I'm definitely one that cares. But I love their wargames, too. Thanks for sharing this info, it will be very interesting to follow their website now to see what appears.

Because I know you're lazy bastards for the most part, here: http://tsi-games.com/

;)

MetalDog

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 09, 2014, 09:24:38 AM
Oh hell. They could stay busy for MANY years, just updating their old classic games to modern platforms. There's plenty of us that would buy the crap out of anything they produce.

As for who the hell cares for their RPGs - I'm definitely one that cares. But I love their wargames, too. Thanks for sharing this info, it will be very interesting to follow their website now to see what appears.

Because I know you're lazy bastards for the most part, here: http://tsi-games.com/

;)


Who told?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

Everyone here has pretty much claimed it in the last year or so I've been on here. 8)

Also, it takes one to know one, so. Occasionally I can be motivated, though.

OJsDad

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 09, 2014, 09:19:03 AM
One of my very first wargame experiences was that "Oh Shit" feeling as Kampgruppe's mass of T-34's rushed my Flak 88's and just kept coming until they lay in smoking ruin in front of my guns. Glorious!!!

Dittos  O0
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

SgtRock

SSI just wouldn't be the same without Norm Korger, Gary Grigsby & Joe Billings. I wish them luck but, I'm not sure anyone could repeat what SSI did, gaming has changed too much! Each game studio now days just puts out new versions of the same franchise over and over. Will new gamers even buy updated versions of the Gold Box games, I just don't know?






-budd-

We all know that Age of Rifles as we know it will never be made........ it would be Age of Rifles and 4 or 5 expansions.....content in initial product releases seems to get less and less every year....man we were content spoiled back then.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

JasonPratt

Quote from: SgtRock on August 09, 2014, 02:14:27 PM
Will new gamers even buy updated versions of the Gold Box games, I just don't know?

Considering the surprisingly strong market for re-releases / updates of old pseudo-3D RPG party tacticals, and new properties designed expressly to resemble such older properties, I'd say they have a good chance.

Probably no chance to update the actual Gold Box games (except maybe the Buck Rogers games!??), but even if they created a new IP to work with an updated version of the combination isometric-tactical engine and the 3D-square map-plotting engine, they'd be in good shape.

This all however makes me want to play Fantasy General or its spiritual remake and super-update Fantasy Wars / Elven Legacy.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Considering that Joel and Gary went their own way, there's still enough of an imprint I think left behind that anyone taking up the reins/rights to those old, classic games, to remake them into something grand.

Of course, it would be just as easy to screw it up and disappoint thousands of gamers. Not that we're terribly difficult to please, but us older chaps remember the good old days and by gum, we want to relive it. With bells and whistles. And less-pixelated warrior woman bewbage.

GibbyG

And the announcement....


Seven Dragon Saga takes place in a high-powered fantasy universe, revolving around the Empire of the Seven Dragons. Eschewing traditional RPG tropes, Seven Dragon Saga provides the player with effective heroes right from the start, with TSI aiming to provide the next step in meaningful player experiences in the same way that SSI's 'Gold Box' titles did during the 1980s and 1990s.

This is not a tale of farmers or aspiring novices learning how to swing a sword; Seven Dragon Saga is a tale about the use of power. Players will need to assemble a brave troupe of adventurers "touched by the winds of the chaos". Known as the Touched, these brave adventurers will face the unknown, and embark on a quest to discover hidden truths and determine the fate of the Empire.

It is the Emperor's role to proclaim.
It is the Dragons' role to command.
It is the role of the Touched to act, without hesitation and without regret.

David Shelley, Producer/Lead Designer, Seven Dragon Saga, said: "Seven Dragon Saga provides a robust rules system and fresh campaign setting for us to draw from. We're adapting the pen and paper system as the seed to develop a compelling game experience, creating the type of strategy fantasy game our team is known for."

Seven Dragon Saga sets a new standard for intricate turn-based combat that can be adapted to your party's strengths. Explore a new high fantasy realm, recruit powerful NPCs, and craft useful items during your party's quest to discover lost secrets and transform the world. Key features include:

Classic RPG / Modern Gameplay: Create a full party under your total control right from the start. Venture forth to uncover lost secrets in an original fantasy setting.
Strategic Combat: Face challenges in turn-based tactical combat, updated with modern design philosophies. Carefully maneuver your party taking advantage of terrain and destructible environments.
Weigh Your Decisions: One group's ally is another faction's enemy. Make meaningful social/political choices that directly impact the world around you. Will you pursue duty and honor or choose riches and adventure with little concern for the consequences?
Proven Technology: Seven Dragon Saga is built using the Unity3D engine (Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, Shroud of the Avatar).

Early Access Release Unreleased
[5:52 pm ET] - Share - 2 Comments