The French - awesome

Started by undercovergeek, August 13, 2014, 04:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

undercovergeek

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28764207

"A prominent Jewish group, the Simon Wiesenthal Centre, has asked the French government to rename a small village in central France that is currently called 'Death to Jews' ('La Mort aux Juifs')."

i mean, what ???

Martok

I believe a good, solid "WTF?!" is called for here. 

I'm more surprised that (apparently) no one noticed this til now.  ??? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

You would have thought round about 1945 they'd have said 'you know, I don't think our village name is quite right'

Jarhead0331

Personally, I don't see the problem. Looks like an absolutely charming place to live and raise a family.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Airborne Rifles

My MA adviser write a book called From Squaw Tit to Whorehouse Meadow: How Maps Name, Claim, and Inflame. Sound like this place should be in there.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on August 13, 2014, 06:45:04 AM
My MA adviser write a book called From Squaw Tit to Whorehouse Meadow: How Maps Name, Claim, and Inflame. Sound like this place should be in there.

Is this a book about the best places to retire?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

Well at least no one can accuse that French village of hiding their true colors.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 13, 2014, 06:56:41 AM
Quote from: Airborne Rifles on August 13, 2014, 06:45:04 AM
My MA adviser write a book called From Squaw Tit to Whorehouse Meadow: How Maps Name, Claim, and Inflame. Sound like this place should be in there.

Is this a book about the best places to retire?

Depends on the retiree, I guess.

steve58

#8
Just to be fair, you've gotta include the Spaniards in this WTF-issue (but they did just recently vote to change the name).

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/spanish-town-camp-kill-jews-votes-new-article-1.1806276
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

LongBlade

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 13, 2014, 06:25:58 AM
You would have thought round about 1945 they'd have said 'you know, I don't think our village name is quite right'

Ya think?

Sheesh.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Atilla60

Quote from: LongBlade on August 13, 2014, 09:22:23 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 13, 2014, 06:25:58 AM
You would have thought round about 1945 they'd have said 'you know, I don't think our village name is quite right'

Ya think?

Sheesh.

+1

Call me a bigot, but I'll question the character of every single inhabitant of that village, and call them flaming anti-Semites until proven otherwise.
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

Jarhead0331

Quote from: LongBlade on August 13, 2014, 09:22:23 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 13, 2014, 06:25:58 AM
You would have thought round about 1945 they'd have said 'you know, I don't think our village name is quite right'

Ya think?

Sheesh.

Considering that the Village has been around since the 13th century, you'd think they would have changed the name long before 1945...like maybe at some point during the Renaissance.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 13, 2014, 10:57:50 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 13, 2014, 09:22:23 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 13, 2014, 06:25:58 AM
You would have thought round about 1945 they'd have said 'you know, I don't think our village name is quite right'

Ya think?

Sheesh.

Considering that the Village has been around since the 13th century, you'd think they would have changed the name long before 1945...like maybe at some point during the Renaissance.

I agree. But antisemitism is a longstanding tradition in Europe for many inexplicable reasons. 1945 should have been the nail in the coffin.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

I'm continually amazed at the overtly offensive opinions that are shrugged off by many common Europeans as non-offensive.  I'm hardly a PC extremist, but even I know there are some things you just don't think, say, or do, based on ethnicity, race, religion, etc.

I was even on national radio talking about it, almost 10 years ago:
http://www.bayonetgames.com/images/BrantOnTheHerdOnESPN.mp3
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

Everything old is new again...especially in France.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd