Heroes & Generals is looking good

Started by jomni, May 08, 2014, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

Free veteran member ship this weekend.  Easier to level up and earn money.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: MengJiao on July 24, 2014, 09:39:28 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 20, 2014, 07:12:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 20, 2014, 12:27:02 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 19, 2014, 10:08:38 PM
Quote from: jomni on July 19, 2014, 09:33:28 PM
Oh so I see Germany won the war!  ;D
Buy I can't join any new one.   :(

  Servers seem to be on the blink.  Steam seems to have unleashed quite a load onto the server system.

Their server capacity isn't very high.  So whenever H&G gets a little publicity somewhere, they get overloaded.  That's what happened when I first tried to play.  It took 2 or 3 days to get into the game (much of the time their servers were down) because some RPS article (IIRC?) came out about the latest update to the game which added some stuff.

There were also 2 wars running (I was in Hannibal).  The Germans won that one in 10 game days (5 earthly days and 5 sidereal days and/or 5 surreal days) and I assume a lot of players tried to get into the only war still running (Julius...named for Gisgo's other brother, Mago Julius).  If the Germans aren't winning that one too I'd be very surprised; they certainly blasted the US Army off of all 3 maps I was on last night.  I got 7 kills somehow, but they got me around 30 times.  Once an airplane hit me with lethal results for me and I thought: that can't be a good idea and sure enough, next time I ran out to get killed, the plane hit the ground while trying to kill an infantryman with its wings.  I've never seen that in a game.  Those German players must be very very good to hit people with planes.  I was impressed, but it does give the average infantry man an unusual anti air weapon == just standing below a deceptive slope seems to work.

So some of the German players seem to have some ubermenschlie skills.  I mean they are very very very good at the game.  All they need is a tiny pistol and a few planes and/or tanks.  It's kind of freaky running into one of these characters.  Usually I spot them long, long before they spot me and by their jerky (not jumpy, they only leap as needed) spazmotic yes-I-am-an-alien-teuton-in-a black-suit-and-googles-and-a-weird-hat demeanor, I know, yep its a JerryVet.  Somehow they can jerk around even on a bicycle.  I think realistically that much jerking around would injure you and whatnot -- but then what do I know? -- I've only played the game a couple of weeks.  And yes, I see the Jerry vet and yes I figure onlya bazzoka or a really big grenade is going to get the guy (I got one with a Thompson once and even then it was probably only that one of his spazzums hit a lamppost that enabled us to be in the same space-time continuum long enough for a lethal dose of bullets to accumulate in his Jerryatric system).  Sure, I see the enemy dude wiggling along and I know I'm going to hit him once or twice with a rifle bullet maybe and then he's going to pop up and shoot me in the head with a tiny pistol and kill me instantly. 
  I'm beginning to think, maybe I should leave these guys in their tanks or planes rather than blowing them up or shooting them down.  Also if they are driving a tank, their spasmatic movements are masked somehow by an invisible force field or something.  And really, nothing is more horrible than watching one bicycle toward you.  It's like watching a dentist drill a hole in his own face.  With a drill.  A dental drill.

Regardless of why it happens, this is the sort of thing that really turns me off.  I am holding off on this one.  But I gotta admit...I do love the entry price.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

MengJiao

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 07, 2014, 01:41:56 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 24, 2014, 09:39:28 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 20, 2014, 07:12:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 20, 2014, 12:27:02 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 19, 2014, 10:08:38 PM
Quote from: jomni on July 19, 2014, 09:33:28 PM
Oh so I see Germany won the war!  ;D
Buy I can't join any new one.   :(

  Servers seem to be on the blink.  Steam seems to have unleashed quite a load onto the server system.

Their server capacity isn't very high.  So whenever H&G gets a little publicity somewhere, they get overloaded.  That's what happened when I first tried to play.  It took 2 or 3 days to get into the game (much of the time their servers were down) because some RPS article (IIRC?) came out about the latest update to the game which added some stuff.

There were also 2 wars running (I was in Hannibal).  The Germans won that one in 10 game days (5 earthly days and 5 sidereal days and/or 5 surreal days) and I assume a lot of players tried to get into the only war still running (Julius...named for Gisgo's other brother, Mago Julius).  If the Germans aren't winning that one too I'd be very surprised; they certainly blasted the US Army off of all 3 maps I was on last night.  I got 7 kills somehow, but they got me around 30 times.  Once an airplane hit me with lethal results for me and I thought: that can't be a good idea and sure enough, next time I ran out to get killed, the plane hit the ground while trying to kill an infantryman with its wings.  I've never seen that in a game.  Those German players must be very very good to hit people with planes.  I was impressed, but it does give the average infantry man an unusual anti air weapon == just standing below a deceptive slope seems to work.

So some of the German players seem to have some ubermenschlie skills.  I mean they are very very very good at the game.  All they need is a tiny pistol and a few planes and/or tanks.  It's kind of freaky running into one of these characters.  Usually I spot them long, long before they spot me and by their jerky (not jumpy, they only leap as needed) spazmotic yes-I-am-an-alien-teuton-in-a black-suit-and-googles-and-a-weird-hat demeanor, I know, yep its a JerryVet.  Somehow they can jerk around even on a bicycle.  I think realistically that much jerking around would injure you and whatnot -- but then what do I know? -- I've only played the game a couple of weeks.  And yes, I see the Jerry vet and yes I figure onlya bazzoka or a really big grenade is going to get the guy (I got one with a Thompson once and even then it was probably only that one of his spazzums hit a lamppost that enabled us to be in the same space-time continuum long enough for a lethal dose of bullets to accumulate in his Jerryatric system).  Sure, I see the enemy dude wiggling along and I know I'm going to hit him once or twice with a rifle bullet maybe and then he's going to pop up and shoot me in the head with a tiny pistol and kill me instantly. 
  I'm beginning to think, maybe I should leave these guys in their tanks or planes rather than blowing them up or shooting them down.  Also if they are driving a tank, their spasmatic movements are masked somehow by an invisible force field or something.  And really, nothing is more horrible than watching one bicycle toward you.  It's like watching a dentist drill a hole in his own face.  With a drill.  A dental drill.

Regardless of why it happens, this is the sort of thing that really turns me off.  I am holding off on this one.  But I gotta admit...I do love the entry price.

  I sympathize.  I knew this sort of thing was going to happen, but I played WWII Online for over a decade off and on where the weirdness was even more astounding.  I did like Battlefield42 and Red Orchestra, but (sadly) H&G strikes me as being more like WWII Online -- though maybe a bit less tedious.  Anyway, I think my days in H&G are likely to be over soon.  The tanks are fun in the training scenarios in a horribly comic way, so I'll probably wind up my time doing that.