Main Menu

Steam Update Issues

Started by bbmike, August 14, 2014, 08:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbmike

So Steam just updated itself (new desktop icon and everything) but now it's freezing on me. Anyone else having issues after this latest update?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

-budd-

Just started mine up, no problems......yet.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

bbmike

After a little more investigation, it appears the problem is caused by using a custom skin. I was using a larger font skin to make things easier to read. If I delete everything in the skins folder it seems to run fine. Looks like I'm back to tiny, tiny fonts for now.  :-\
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

I did have a few issues but it was for just a few minutes. Now I'm back to my standard everyday issues :)
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2014, 08:35:51 PM
Now I'm back to my standard everyday issues :)

Haha, you beat me to it!  Steam the service may be OK in many respects, but Steam the client really is a piece of crap.  It's pretty unforgivable for a company with virtually unlimited resources.

Nefaro

I've been having issues with my first one or two login attempts every time I've tried this past week.  It will tell me it couldn't connect.  So I have to keep trying until it takes.  Happened on two different computers, even.  ::)


Tpek

It seems Valve released a major update for Steam.
They even changed the client's UI.

Gusington

Yep...it made my machine freak out and then slip into a mood of general malaise.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

No problem for me. Update when smooth.

Rayfer

Working just fine here. No issues.

JasonPratt

Steam didn't want to open itself after the update; but I endeavored to persevere opening it manually, and eventually did after a couple of attempts. Might have been Early Global Friday server load.

However, as I attempted to finally finish the first Space Hulk campaign, I noticed the program said in the upper right corner that I wasn't logged in, whatever that means. Or doesn't mean.

I'm going to try to remember to fiddle around in it more before going back to start Season Three of Survive Harder, as I don't want to run into some kind of weird desynch problem where it doesn't save my progress because it can't find Steam or blips when it does eventually find it...  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

It will do that anyway, no matter how you try to prepare...it's cool in keeping you on hour toes like that.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

#12
Well at least the update improved and added somethings.  I've noticed that CivIV isn't showing multiples anymore and you can now hide games so they don't show up in your library list.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

MengJiao

Quote from: steve58 on August 15, 2014, 12:04:15 PM
Well at least the update improved and added somethings.  I've noticed that CivIV isn't showing multiples anymore and you can now hide games so they don't show up in your library list.

No problems for me.  Hiding games I don't play anymore will be very useful.

And (if all goes well), I'll be getting BOS on steam this week-end.

Nefaro

Quote from: steve58 on August 15, 2014, 12:04:15 PM
Well at least the update improved and added somethings.  I've noticed that CivIV isn't showing multiples anymore and you can now hide games so they don't show up in your library list.

I tried putting my non-played games into a separate list, to be minimized, and the damn thing would reset every time there was a client update.

Their client pisses me off on a regular basis when it comes to stuff like this.  I've learned not to spend time trying to customize or change many settings on it, as they will just get F'd up shortly afterward.