I withdraw my support for RPS and eat a large slice of humble pie

Started by Huw the Poo, August 23, 2014, 03:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2014, 05:33:00 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 23, 2014, 04:57:55 PM
Thanks Gus! This is an oasis of calm. :)

Geek thanks for providing the summary.  The drama has spread to - and, indeed, involves - a large range of gaming websites.  It's insane on reddit right now, not to mention 4chan (surprisingly a voice of reason in this).

TotalBiscuit posted a very reasonable piece about it and was immediately flamed by the social justice fuckwits.

I wish I was at home while this is going on!

One of the benefits of being irrelevant. Grogheads avoids all of the fuss and high drama. I can see it now...Housewives of Grogheads.

I disagree. Grogheads is not irrelevant. More likely the reason is that the average game site caters to immature teens, probably due to their buying power.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

endfire79

Waitasec.  RPS, 4chan, feminists?  Sounds like a mighty train wreck!  I tried going through that thread, but I also couldn't get what winding everyone up.

"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

undercovergeek

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on August 23, 2014, 06:49:05 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2014, 05:33:00 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 23, 2014, 04:57:55 PM
Thanks Gus! This is an oasis of calm. :)

Geek thanks for providing the summary.  The drama has spread to - and, indeed, involves - a large range of gaming websites.  It's insane on reddit right now, not to mention 4chan (surprisingly a voice of reason in this).

TotalBiscuit posted a very reasonable piece about it and was immediately flamed by the social justice fuckwits.

I wish I was at home while this is going on!

One of the benefits of being irrelevant. Grogheads avoids all of the fuss and high drama. I can see it now...Housewives of Grogheads.

I disagree. Grogheads is not irrelevant. More likely the reason is that the average game site caters to immature teens, probably due to their buying power.

im thinking JH has the buying power of most average game sites

Kushan

Quote from: Toonces on August 23, 2014, 06:42:42 PM
And WTF is a "game jam"?

Its where game developers, almost always indie devs, get together and and try and create a game in a set amount of time. From the ones I've seen on twitch, somewhere between 24-72 hours.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Toonces

^ That actually sounds pretty cool. 

Ok, so were they making a reality TV show about game jams or something?  Funny, I might actually watch something like that.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bayonetbrant

Quote from: endfire79 on August 23, 2014, 06:58:19 PM
Waitasec.  RPS, 4chan, feminists?  Sounds like a mighty train wreck!  I tried going through that thread, but I also couldn't get what winding everyone up.



Immediate party foul assessed for using a cartoon, that while funny, is forever linked with Hairog dodging questions over and over after making ridiculous political pronouncements.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Cyrano

I've checked carefully and nothing in those threads has left me smarter.

Moving on.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

jomni


WYBaugh

This was blowing up on reddit earlier in the week.  A friend a work sent me the link, and like Toonces, I have no effing clue what it's all about.

endfire79

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 23, 2014, 07:50:19 PM
Quote from: endfire79 on August 23, 2014, 06:58:19 PM
Waitasec.  RPS, 4chan, feminists?  Sounds like a mighty train wreck!  I tried going through that thread, but I also couldn't get what winding everyone up.



Immediate party foul assessed for using a cartoon, that while funny, is forever linked with Hairog dodging questions over and over after making ridiculous political pronouncements.

Oops, my bad.  It wasn't my original intention.

I just found it summed up RPS (some of it), 4chan (all of it) in one image.  There's some irrelevant, hostile threads out there that people just eat up non stop.

"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Boggit

WTH is that all about? Isn't it easier just to let the games be the news? :o
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Staggerwing

From the tone of things at those other sites you'd think someone was trying to drive a convoy of freshly-white-painted trucks through someone else's game studio back entrance.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on August 23, 2014, 06:49:05 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2014, 05:33:00 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 23, 2014, 04:57:55 PM
Thanks Gus! This is an oasis of calm. :)

Geek thanks for providing the summary.  The drama has spread to - and, indeed, involves - a large range of gaming websites.  It's insane on reddit right now, not to mention 4chan (surprisingly a voice of reason in this).

TotalBiscuit posted a very reasonable piece about it and was immediately flamed by the social justice fuckwits.

I wish I was at home while this is going on!

One of the benefits of being irrelevant. Grogheads avoids all of the fuss and high drama. I can see it now...Housewives of Grogheads.

I disagree. Grogheads is not irrelevant. More likely the reason is that the average game site caters to immature teens, probably due to their buying power.

sar·casm
noun \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
1:  a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2:  a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Staggerwing

E's a regular Doug Pirana, e' is!

Or were it Dinsdale... ?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys