Main Menu

National Guard

Started by JudgeDredd, September 03, 2014, 01:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

undercovergeek

Lol

Totally intrigued - didn't know any of this stuff


bayonetbrant

Come to Origins next year, buy me a beer, and I'll tell you all about it.  Typing it all out just makes my hands hurt.  And my head.  You don't even want to get into states where the senior military officer in the National Guard is a state-wide elected official...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

so in laymans terms/limeys terms ( :P) the people can vote for the commander of a governors personal army who have no loyalty to the President?

JudgeDredd

It does sound like a potential hotbed...loyalties, political views etc...hence my statement about you lot wanting to keep your firearms!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

im trying to think of a circumstance where all that goes wrong and theres a march on Washington

JudgeDredd

Kind of sounds feasible, doesn't it?
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

BanzaiCat

Since when was our current President concerned about Acts of Congress?

Staggerwing

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 03, 2014, 04:25:59 PM
Since when was our current President concerned about Acts of Congress?

Since when was any?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat


GDS_Starfury

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 03, 2014, 04:03:08 PM
im trying to think of a circumstance where all that goes wrong and theres a march on Washington

that kinda happened after WW1.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Staggerwing

^Bonus Expeditionary Force.

It serves as a jumping-off point for William Manchester's book the Glory and the Dream.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

i did not know that, thanks for the links

bayonetbrant

Yeah, but that post-WWI march on Washington wasn't some state governor sending the National Guard. Those were regulars.

Also, just to clarify something from further upstream. The National Guard are organized, trainwd , and equipped just like the regular army (though they can be a few years behind on new eqpt roll outs). They don't bring their own weapons to drill; they are issued at the unit just like a regular unit, and keep them stored in an arms room.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

State Guard units, like the one Gus and I belong to, are direct decendents of colonial militia that fought in the Refolutionary War. My brigade, the 88th, traces it's lineage to the Fighting Irish, which saw significant combat throughout the Civil War, including at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. Elements of the 88th NYS Volunteers were at Appomatox Courthouse when General Lee surrendered. It also saw service during WWI and WWII.

Most importantly, Gus is a Private, and I am a Captain.  >:D
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


BanzaiCat

Would be interesting to read more about both subjects (or discuss it further). I knew state militias existed but other than that have no idea how they work, at least until I read this thread.