EUIV review - "the best genocide simulator of the year"

Started by endfire79, September 08, 2014, 07:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

endfire79

Somebody reviewed the latest EU game and wasn't when she got to colonization part.  The reviewer ends  by saying

It's a fun game. A masterful game. A work of passion and talent. But I can't enjoy it without reservations or recommend it without caveats. The moment you begin your colonization effort, the game takes a dark and troubling turn. It never really recovers from that. Now, if you don't mind, I'll be over here, attempting to unify the Holy Roman Empire into the modern state of Germany. And not doing any colonization.

:D. I wonder what the review of HOI4 will sound like.

http://gamemoir.com/2013/09/23/europa-universalis-iv-is-the-best-genocide-simulator-of-the-year/
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

undercovergeek

#1
"I knew going in that I'd playing a game about a topic that, in real life, is horrifying to my (white, privileged) progressive sensibilities. I thought I was prepared for it."

really?

"(Yes, white Americans, you ARE the beneficiaries of genocide. Get used to it.)" - i cant be arsed finding the face palm meme but please imagine it is here

theres 2 sides to my rage coin here - rant and curse about peoples inability to separate 'game' from 'real', an inability to sit in a big comfy chair and relax and play your favourite game for what it is, on the other side, is this someone just whining and moaning because 'games journalism' and short of giving it a thumbs up or down you have to take a stance on something and complain

i note with ever decreasing 'bothered' that as much as she hated it, appauled by her own actions, she kept pressing next turn and playing it.

As with all offensive media, theres an off button and an uninstall button, play it and enjoy, dont and switch off - dont play and be offended and write about it expecting anything over than 'youre dumber than i thought' - at least from me anyway

jomni

I played the Aztec and dominated the Americas... that's until Spain came.

undercovergeek

Quote from: jomni on September 08, 2014, 07:33:48 AM
I played the Aztec and dominated the Americas... that's until Spain came.

and did you cry at your own moral outrage and attrocity?

feel free to write a blog about how disgusted with yourself you are
  ;D

jomni

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 08, 2014, 07:35:08 AM
Quote from: jomni on September 08, 2014, 07:33:48 AM
I played the Aztec and dominated the Americas... that's until Spain came.

and did you cry at your own moral outrage and attrocity?

feel free to write a blog about how disgusted with yourself you are
  ;D

There's no moral outrage for a society that relies on human sacrifice for survival.

Nefaro

Her poor white privileged sensibilities.  ::)


She could've played as the Aztecs.  Then she could've warred on her neighboring states and committed human sacrifices with rocks.  I suppose it would've been just fine for her delicate "progressive" sensibilities, in that case?

F'ing Revisionistas.  ::)

mikeck

These people kill me. It's all about feeling guilty. If they feel guilty enough, they think everything is ok.
Look, world History is full of people taking land from other people and killing them. News flash! Native tribes in the Americas routinely attacked and slaughtered neighboring tribes....Europeans were just better at it in the 16th century.

I hate these people...these people that think I should feel guilty because I live in land taken by my ancestors from someone else. Well who doesn't live in land that didn't t belong to someone else at some point.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

Quote from: mikeck on September 08, 2014, 07:51:07 AM
These people kill me. It's all about feeling guilty. If they feel guilty enough, they think everything is ok.
Look, world History is full of people taking land from other people and killing them. News flash! Native tribes in the Americas routinely attacked and slaughtered neighboring tribes....Europeans were just better at it in the 16th century.

I hate these people...these people that think I should feel guilty because I live in land taken by my ancestors from someone else. Well who doesn't live in land that didn't t belong to someone else at some point.

eskimos?

Silent Disapproval Robot

Moral preening and expressing faux outrage is the new black.  If you can be just a little bit more of a martyr to your own sense of white guilt than the progressive next to you, you win and get to be condescending in a smug, passive-aggressive way.

The mindless white idiots who parrot the conventional wisdom being vomited out at campuses and in the media have been conditioned to feel an almost pathological need to feel morally superior over other whites they deem to be less progressive.

It's pathetic.  Oh well, I'm sure the vapid twat who wrote that drivel can squirm her thighs together in delight as she reads the comments on her "review" and nail herself a little more firmly to her cross.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 08, 2014, 08:08:15 AM
Moral preening and expressing faux outrage is the new black.  If you can be just a little bit more of a martyr to your own sense of white guilt than the progressive next to you, you win and get to be condescending in a smug, passive-aggressive way.

The mindless white idiots who parrot the conventional wisdom being vomited out at campuses and in the media have been conditioned to feel an almost pathological need to feel morally superior over other whites they deem to be less progressive.

It's pathetic.  Oh well, I'm sure the vapid twat who wrote that drivel can squirm her thighs together in delight as she reads the comments on her "review" and nail herself a little more firmly to her cross.

This is what I wanted to convey but you have done it much more artfully

Thankyou


bboyer66

You can colonize areas without killing the native population. Usually its the natives attacking your colonies that decimates them. In game it actually behooves you to assimilate the natives into your colonies and not kill them.




mikeck

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 08, 2014, 07:59:13 AM
Quote from: mikeck on September 08, 2014, 07:51:07 AM
These people kill me. It's all about feeling guilty. If they feel guilty enough, they think everything is ok.
Look, world History is full of people taking land from other people and killing them. News flash! Native tribes in the Americas routinely attacked and slaughtered neighboring tribes....Europeans were just better at it in the 16th century.

I hate these people...these people that think I should feel guilty because I live in land taken by my ancestors from someone else. Well who doesn't live in land that didn't t belong to someone else at some point.

eskimos?

Inuit tribes maybe....only because no one else wants it. I don't feel the slightest guilt about living on land that my ancestors took from someone else...no more guilty than an Anglo-Saxon on the UK should feel over the loss of Romano-Britain control.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

sandman2575

It's a silly review whose 'moralistic' premise is so faulty as to be comical.  It's classic trolling -- it's meant to provoke.  Why take the bait?  She clearly wants to receive all sorts of enraged "you're an idiot!" responses, if only so she can feel that much more self-righteous about her moral superiority vis-a-vis the depraved, unenlightened class of gamers who might actually derive guilt-free enjoyment out of EUIV and similar games. Why give her the satisfaction?

Don't feed the smug, self-righteous troll. 

endfire79

Good points. I just hope it doesn't become the norm to piss over a great series of games. 

I also found it ironic she felt more more secure about uniting the principalities and states of the Holy Roman Empire. 
How she plans to do that in the game without the Reformation, Counterreformation, forced conversions or 'heretics', the 30 Years war, etc, etc, (well, you get the picture - either way, it won't be pretty, but her conscience is eased).
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd