Main Menu

WW1 Tactical Game?

Started by Father Ted, September 07, 2014, 12:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Father Ted

I'm re-reading "The War the Infantry Knew" by J C Dunn (great read by the way) and was struck by the potential for an interesting company-level game.  Whilst the strategic picture was one of attrition and sheer-brute-force frontal assaults, at a tactical level patrols and raids were undertaken which I think would be good gaming material.  Does such a game exist, does anybody know?

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

Thanks Gus - this seems to be just what I was looking for!

TacticalWargames

A must own book for anyone into WW1. O0


Silent Disapproval Robot

If you want to throw some Cthulhu into the mix, there's The Wasted Land for PC and smartphones.  Tactical combat game against eldritch horrors in the trenches of WWI.

http://redwaspdesign.wordpress.com/call-of-cthulhu/

Gusington

You're welcome, Father. For some reason I always forget about the Squad Battles games too.

SDR - have you played The Wasted Land?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yes, I played it on my phone.  It's pretty fun but very challenging.  It reminds me a bit of Silent Storm, but with Shoggoths instead of Panzerkleins.

Nefaro

Someone said it was too simple, when it first came out.

Being a phone/tablet game, I took it for truth.

Boggit

Quote from: Father Ted on September 07, 2014, 04:01:07 PM
Thanks Gus - this seems to be just what I was looking for!
If it helps here is my review of it...
http://grogheads.com/?p=2081#more-2081
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

Oops sorry, forgot to include that.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

Quote from: Boggit on September 08, 2014, 11:57:21 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on September 07, 2014, 04:01:07 PM
Thanks Gus - this seems to be just what I was looking for!
If it helps here is my review of it...
http://grogheads.com/?p=2081#more-2081

Thanks Boggit - I did find my way to your reviewm and very useful it was too!

Boggit

Glad it helped. What I really liked about the game is how the tactical combat changes between 1914-18. By 1918 it's very similar to WW2. casualties in 1914 while armies are learning to fight with modern weapons are frightful. :o It's designed by Ed Williams, someone who is IMO quite an authority on WW1. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Skoop

^ I have to agree with that, he also designed the 2 ww1 panzer campaigns engine games, France 14 and Prussia.  He is also part of the dev team at esim for steel beasts and he's pretty active in their mp community.   

jomni

One unique feature of the game that's not present in other SB titles is that the machine gun can do indirect fire.  Must be an era-specific tactic.