Endless Space? Nope, it's Endless Legend!

Started by Martok, August 22, 2013, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bison

Quote from: Steelgrave on September 12, 2014, 07:11:25 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 11, 2014, 09:11:16 AM
This makes me giddy as a schoolgirl.

Doesn't tequila do the same thing?

You'd be surprised at just how many things do this to him.

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on September 12, 2014, 04:58:28 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 12, 2014, 02:48:01 PM
Does this actually have a lot of content?  Or is it another AOW3?  Looks like the latter, from a vid I watched.   Been putting it off because due to doubts about the depth of it.

I don't know what you mean by "a lot of content", but if AoW is 20% empire building and 80% combat, this is the opposite.  Here's a pretty good preview someone wrote up:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/c27u9hgzcir1bcj/Endless%20Legend%20Early%20Impressions.pdf?dl=0


Quote from: mikeck on September 12, 2014, 06:09:59 PM

I haven't played much but from what I have read,
It is very deep. Haven't seen anyone complain that it lacked depth (like many did in AOW3)


Thanks for the input.

The Building/Combat ratio doesn't concern me.  I enjoy both.  My concern was regarding unit, building, spell, ability, etc variety.  That's normally a high priority for me in most games, but I think it's even more important in the Fantasy Strategy genre. 

Steelgrave

Quote from: Bison on September 12, 2014, 07:12:25 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on September 12, 2014, 07:11:25 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 11, 2014, 09:11:16 AM
This makes me giddy as a schoolgirl.

Doesn't tequila do the same thing?

You'd be surprised at just how many things do this to him.

Surprised and dismayed, I fear....

Gusington

I hate tequila. But I am known to love Sammy Hagar. Ironic I know.

How many factions are now in Endless Legend? I am going to guess that more will be released as DLC in the future.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

tgb

Quote from: Gusington on September 12, 2014, 08:30:32 PM
I hate tequila. But I am known to love Sammy Hagar. Ironic I know.

How many factions are now in Endless Legend? I am going to guess that more will be released as DLC in the future.

7 now with an 8th in the final release Thursday, as well as a faction editor. Nefaro, if it's magic you're looking for, this may not be the game for you.There are only a handful of spells, and most of them are passive buffs.  Don't get this expecting to throw fireballs around, cause it isn't going to happen.

Gusington

Playing through the tutorial now...really like it, the game is very slick. I am about to embark on my first battle, but after deployment I cannot get the combat to start...the button is grayed out. Is there some step I should be taking between deployment of units and combat? This combat is in a quest...two of my marine units against a Rumbler.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

tgb


Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on September 12, 2014, 08:54:02 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 12, 2014, 08:30:32 PM
I hate tequila. But I am known to love Sammy Hagar. Ironic I know.

How many factions are now in Endless Legend? I am going to guess that more will be released as DLC in the future.

7 now with an 8th in the final release Thursday, as well as a faction editor. Nefaro, if it's magic you're looking for, this may not be the game for you.There are only a handful of spells, and most of them are passive buffs.  Don't get this expecting to throw fireballs around, cause it isn't going to happen.

It doesn't specifically have to be magic variety.  Just faction variety in general.  Does each faction just have a few bonuses that set them apart or do they have mechanics that make them play & feel differently?  Does each faction have different combat units and buildings or are there many commonly shared types between them all? 

In other words, does playing one faction feel like it plays quite differently, or only more of the same with different bonuses & penalties?

I suppose I'll just check out some extended playthrough videos to see.

mikeck

Quote from: Nefaro on September 12, 2014, 07:30:38 PM
Quote from: tgb on September 12, 2014, 04:58:28 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 12, 2014, 02:48:01 PM
Does this actually have a lot of content?  Or is it another AOW3?  Looks like the latter, from a vid I watched.   Been putting it off because due to doubts about the depth of it.

I don't know what you mean by "a lot of content", but if AoW is 20% empire building and 80% combat, this is the opposite.  Here's a pretty good preview someone wrote up:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/c27u9hgzcir1bcj/Endless%20Legend%20Early%20Impressions.pdf?dl=0


Quote from: mikeck on September 12, 2014, 06:09:59 PM

I haven't played much but from what I have read,
It is very deep. Haven't seen anyone complain that it lacked depth (like many did in AOW3)


Thanks for the input.

The Building/Combat ratio doesn't concern me.  I enjoy both.  My concern was regarding unit, building, spell, ability, etc variety.  That's normally a high priority for me in most games, but I think it's even more important in the Fantasy Strategy genre.

From what I have seen, you can upgrade and alter units with new armor and weapons based in tech level and natural resources available. That's probably about it.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

tgb

Nefaro:

The races all play very differently.  They all have some techs that are exclusive to them, and heroes, who either show up randomly or can be purchased, have 3 trait tracks on which they can advance when leveling up - two are the same for everyone, and the third is specific to the race of the hero. mikeck is right when he says the basic unit (actually unit category) is the same for every race. Every race has a melee unit, a ranged unit, a cavalry unit, and a support unit, but the specifics are unique for each race.  But not only can you customize your units, but there is a mechanic in the game, unlocked by tech, that allows you to hire mercenaries from other races.  In addition, all of the minor factions have one faction specific unit.  Assimilating the minor faction allows you to build that unit, but you can only have one minor faction assimilated at a time.  So depending on the minor factions you encounter, which ones you assimilate, what mercenaries are available, what techs and strategic resources you have access to, you can play two games with the same faction and end up with two very different armies.

As an example of how factions play differently, most rely on food to grow the population of their cities.  Except there is one that has no food at  all and has to purchase new population, and another that gets population by raising the dead.  Only one factions actually uses magic to any great extent.  Another faction is made up of nomadic merchants, and not only starts the game with key economic techs already researched, but van relocate their cities, and so forth.  Plus each faction has a unique, story-based quest chain.  Getting to the end of the chain is one of the 9 victory conditions.


Gusington

tgb: yeah I assigned my units a target, moved them into position...and nothing...I could not get the gray center button to become active so the battle could commence...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on September 13, 2014, 06:22:47 PM
Nefaro:

The races all play very differently.  They all have some techs that are exclusive to them, and heroes, who either show up randomly or can be purchased, have 3 trait tracks on which they can advance when leveling up - two are the same for everyone, and the third is specific to the race of the hero. mikeck is right when he says the basic unit (actually unit category) is the same for every race. Every race has a melee unit, a ranged unit, a cavalry unit, and a support unit, but the specifics are unique for each race.  But not only can you customize your units, but there is a mechanic in the game, unlocked by tech, that allows you to hire mercenaries from other races.  In addition, all of the minor factions have one faction specific unit.  Assimilating the minor faction allows you to build that unit, but you can only have one minor faction assimilated at a time.  So depending on the minor factions you encounter, which ones you assimilate, what mercenaries are available, what techs and strategic resources you have access to, you can play two games with the same faction and end up with two very different armies.

As an example of how factions play differently, most rely on food to grow the population of their cities.  Except there is one that has no food at  all and has to purchase new population, and another that gets population by raising the dead.  Only one factions actually uses magic to any great extent.  Another faction is made up of nomadic merchants, and not only starts the game with key economic techs already researched, but van relocate their cities, and so forth.  Plus each faction has a unique, story-based quest chain.  Getting to the end of the chain is one of the 9 victory conditions.

Thanks!

tgb


Nefaro

After waffling for so long, I finally buckled a day or two ago.  It just got the official release today, with some new stuff.

I've not been in much of a gaming mood lately, but I did put some time in last night with it.  Very enjoyable although the tactical combat is nothing much to write home about.  The empire building is fun.  I suppose it's like Endless Space regarding those same facets, although the faction differences are more interesting in this one.  O0

Gusington

I finally got into the battle in the tutorial, I think it must have been some kind of glitch that was stopping me. Slowly falling in love with everything about Endless Legend, and that's just the tutorial :)
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd