Battle Academy 2 is out on 12th September

Started by Boggit, August 12, 2014, 03:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

GroggyGrognard

I just bought BA2 the other day and so far I'm impressed by this fantastic sophomore effort.

Obviously because it is the first in the series, BA1 has its own refreshing--sometimes quirky--originality. There is something about BA2 where every element of the game design really comes together and shines.  BA2 feels more cohesive, refined, and gritty.

Big thumbs up to the new 'skirmish mode'.

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: GroggyGrognard on September 16, 2014, 10:49:02 PM
I just bought BA2 the other day and so far I'm impressed by this fantastic sophomore effort.

Obviously because it is the first in the series, BA1 has its own refreshing--sometimes quirky--originality. There is something about BA2 where every element of the game design really comes together and shines.  BA2 feels more cohesive, refined, and gritty.

Absolutely!

I have 3 coop skirmishes ongoing right now. Let me know if you're up for a 4th

jomni

I'm game for some co-op. Send me the details via PM.

Great Ajax

I just uploaded the details on the BA1 port over to BA2.  You can now play with Market Garden units in BA2 in skirmish with custom army lists. 

http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=52707

Trey

James Sterrett

How does the co-op work?  Are you both online at the same time, trading turns and the AI moves third, ...?

If I buy from Matrix, and get the Steam code, are both copies active as a 2 for 1?  (I assume not....)

(My son adores BA1, and BA2 is a strong XMas contender, and if the co-op works well then I'll need a second copy....  :)  )

PipFromSlitherine

Quote from: James Sterrett on September 20, 2014, 02:49:18 PM
How does the co-op work?  Are you both online at the same time, trading turns and the AI moves third, ...?

If I buy from Matrix, and get the Steam code, are both copies active as a 2 for 1?  (I assume not....)

(My son adores BA1, and BA2 is a strong XMas contender, and if the co-op works well then I'll need a second copy....  :)  )
You never need both be on at the same time.  You play your turn, send it back to the server, and the second player plays their turn, then they see the AI turn.  You then get that turn back, and you watch the other player, followed by the AI, and then it is your turn again.  Hope that makes sense!

Cheers

Pip

Cyrano

Pip, I gotta tellya...the decision not to support LAN play drives me absolutely INSANE.

Validate my install all day long, I won't complain, but making me sit around between turns waiting for the server to catch up is tedious.

Of course I bought it, how could I not, but it feels gimped and I was really looking forward to true LAN co-op.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

James Sterrett

Quote from: PipFromSlitherine on September 20, 2014, 03:51:47 PM
Quote from: James Sterrett on September 20, 2014, 02:49:18 PM
How does the co-op work?  Are you both online at the same time, trading turns and the AI moves third, ...?

If I buy from Matrix, and get the Steam code, are both copies active as a 2 for 1?  (I assume not....)

(My son adores BA1, and BA2 is a strong XMas contender, and if the co-op works well then I'll need a second copy....  :)  )
You never need both be on at the same time.  You play your turn, send it back to the server, and the second player plays their turn, then they see the AI turn.  You then get that turn back, and you watch the other player, followed by the AI, and then it is your turn again.  Hope that makes sense!

Thank you!

PipFromSlitherine

Quote from: Cyrano on September 20, 2014, 04:09:50 PM
Pip, I gotta tellya...the decision not to support LAN play drives me absolutely INSANE.

Validate my install all day long, I won't complain, but making me sit around between turns waiting for the server to catch up is tedious.

Of course I bought it, how could I not, but it feels gimped and I was really looking forward to true LAN co-op.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
It only takes a few seconds to up- the down- load the turn.  Doing a direct LAN connection would basically require us to duplicate the server behavior locally, and only really help a tiny % of a % of players (those with a LAN, with multiple machines, with people wanting to play/with each other).  So it's simply a question of where to spend our limited development time.

Cheers

Pip

Grimnirsson

QuoteIt only takes a few seconds to up- the down- load the turn

Indeed, if both players are online you can play like in a LAN session :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Apocalypse 31

I'm having a blast with the coop. Currently have 8 coop games going. COOP  skirmish really adds endless fun. Glad Slitherine finally went in this direction. Hopefully the new Close combat will also have coop skirmish, and will be similar to BA2

Grimnirsson

Can the the players use the chat window in coop matches to discuss tactics?
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

jomni

You have a chat screen at the end of each turn . But one message at a time