Game recommendation: strategic bombing?

Started by mikeck, September 23, 2014, 12:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mikeck

I'm looking for a game where I can direct strategic bombing and such in the (near?) modern age; post WW2 and preferably the Cold War. I am interested in basically playing the role of SAC in planning bombing missions, arranging for refueling, etc.

Does this exist?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Good luck finding a way to play with your SAC. 

:))

LongBlade

Quote from: mikeck on September 23, 2014, 12:26:22 PM
I'm looking for a game where I can direct strategic bombing and such in the (near?) modern age; post WW2 and preferably the Cold War. I am interested in basically playing the role of SAC in planning bombing missions, arranging for refueling, etc.

Does this exist?

Yes. I've only played the mid east game, but VN is based on it. It's really good, but you're going to want to learn how to truly orchestrate an air campaign to get the most out of it.

http://johntillersoftware.com/ModernAirPower.html

And though you didn't want to have WWII I can heartily recommend this, too:

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/defreich/defreich.htm
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mikeck

Quote from: Nefaro on September 23, 2014, 12:28:39 PM
Good luck finding a way to play with your SAC. 

:))

Okay, I see what you did there
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

#4
Quote from: LongBlade on September 23, 2014, 12:39:11 PM
Quote from: mikeck on September 23, 2014, 12:26:22 PM
I'm looking for a game where I can direct strategic bombing and such in the (near?) modern age; post WW2 and preferably the Cold War. I am interested in basically playing the role of SAC in planning bombing missions, arranging for refueling, etc.

Does this exist?

Yes. I've only played the mid east game, but VN is based on it. It's really good, but you're going to want to learn how to truly orchestrate an air campaign to get the most out of it.

http://johntillersoftware.com/ModernAirPower.html

And though you didn't want to have WWII I can heartily recommend this, too:

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/defreich/defreich.htm

Thank you. I appreciate the recommendations.  I was really looking for something more strategic, as in "B1 bombers B-52 bomber's launching cruise missiles and over Moskow "type a thing as opposed to tactical combat and air support....but I appreciate the time thank you

Edit: I think "command modern naval combat" will be my best bet
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

LongBlade

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't find anything closer to what you wanted.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Toonces

CMANO is going to be your best bet.  I'm not familiar with any other computer game that does what you're asking.

There are likely some boardgames that tackle the subject, but that's a whole other discussion.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Kushan

Think Command is going to be your best bet. Although I don't think there is currently a scenario covering the subject, but it wouldn't be hard to create one. One of the things I really like about Command is the ability to actually play while in editor mode. I play far more in the editor then I do a normal scenario.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

mikeck

What do you know.... the scenario with the very top of the "mods and scenarios" section

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3703348

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Kushan

#9
This might be what your looking for as well.

Quote
Wargasm: It is 1962 and you are one of the Strategic Air Command's finest. Your job is conducting thermonuclear war against the forces of the Soviet Union. A massive and and well-researched scenario. (Note: The corny-sounding title is from authentic declassified nuclear war plans of the era!)

Baloogan has a longer description on his wiki.

http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/Scenario?Location=scens%2F%2FWargasm+1962.scen

You can get it as part of the community scenario pack

http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1876
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play