Looking for a new game to play, and have settled on a few. Need your thoughts

Started by Slick Wilhelm, October 06, 2014, 09:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Slick Wilhelm

Hey guys,

I think I'm finally running out of steam with World of Tanks, and so that leaves my regular gaming to just Wings Over Flanders Fields. I'm looking for another game to start to learn. I recently bought Ageod's To End All Wars, but I'm just not ready for something like that yet.

Anyway. the three contenders are:

IL-2: Cliffs of Dover - I know it was junk when first released, but how about now?

Napoleon Total War: Darth Mod - This is interesting me. Is the strategic game any good? The tactical side looks good.

DCS: AH-1 Huey - I haven't flown any DCS games, but am hankering for some chopper fun.

I appreciate suggestions and comments.  :)

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2014, 09:52:33 PM
It's DCS UH-1 Huey. The AH-1 would mean its a cobra.  O0


Flying a Cobra would be much more preferable.  ;)

Bison

I've been in a gaming funk lately myself, but I have been enjoying Planetside 2 and EU4.

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2014, 09:52:33 PM
It's DCS UH-1 Huey. The AH-1 would mean its a cobra.  O0

Ack, my bad. Thanks for correcting me. I agree, I'd rather fly the Cobra than the Huey!

MengJiao

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 06, 2014, 09:31:36 PM
Hey guys,

I think I'm finally running out of steam with World of Tanks, and so that leaves my regular gaming to just Wings Over Flanders Fields. I'm looking for another game to start to learn. I recently bought Ageod's To End All Wars, but I'm just not ready for something like that yet.

Anyway. the three contenders are:

IL-2: Cliffs of Dover - I know it was junk when first released, but how about now?

Napoleon Total War: Darth Mod - This is interesting me. Is the strategic game any good? The tactical side looks good.

DCS: AH-1 Huey - I haven't flown any DCS games, but am hankering for some chopper fun.

I appreciate suggestions and comments.  :)

  I'm over the Cliffs of Dover.  I dumped CLOD.  I will probably dump BoS too.  I'm liking DCS these days.  I have a big scenario set up in the
Editor that I can add and subtract from.  At the moment I'm flying the Mig21 in an easy a mode as I can find (Air start -- but you still have to start flipping switches).  The plane that is free with DCS World -- the Su25T -- is a fun plane I think.

  I think I recommend DCS world for free and see if you like the SU25T.  Be sure to play with the editor though.  It's pretty good.

sandman2575

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 06, 2014, 09:31:36 PM
Hey guys,

I think I'm finally running out of steam with World of Tanks, and so that leaves my regular gaming to just Wings Over Flanders Fields. I'm looking for another game to start to learn. I recently bought Ageod's To End All Wars, but I'm just not ready for something like that yet.

Anyway. the three contenders are:

IL-2: Cliffs of Dover - I know it was junk when first released, but how about now?

Napoleon Total War: Darth Mod - This is interesting me. Is the strategic game any good? The tactical side looks good.

DCS: AH-1 Huey - I haven't flown any DCS games, but am hankering for some chopper fun.

I appreciate suggestions and comments.  :)

Hey Slick -- I sympathize and feel in a similar situation -- WOFF is the only game I'm getting regular enjoyment out of right now, but it's mixed with genuine frustration as well. (Typical experience:  I started a new career flying for RFC-3 in a Camel.  Got 2 kills my first mission. My second mission: I got killed in a mid-air collision.  That's pretty much the way things have gone for weeks...)

If you can stomach installing all the Team Fusion patches, CLOD is a very solid game now, although single player is unquestionably lacking (compared to WOFF, it's pitiful; even ROF's SP experience is richer than CLOD).  But I enjoy the challenge of CLOD -- way harder for me than combat in WWI crates, where dogfights unfold at an almost leisurely pace by comparison.

I've put my share of hours into Napoleon Total War and Empire TW with the Darth mods.  Worth checking out, although I find the strategic layer very lacking and ultimately that's what keeps me from getting into these games. I haven't delved into Shogun 2, although my sense is that strategic / political aspect is much richer.

FWIW, the games I turn to when not playing WOFF these days are:  Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis IV, and Rome II TW (with the easy to install DEI mod).

Sir Slash

The Darth Mod for NTW was excellent. It didn't change the strategic side so much as the tactical which it improved a lot. Very big battles. In fact the mod should be called "The F-ing Big Battles Mod" and they'll last much longer as well. Strategically the game never was a wonder but it'll give you a challenge. The factions tend to break-down into warring groups with little historical accuracy. Darth Mod was easy to install and run but mostly just battle changes are in it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Father Ted

If you're looking for a sim experience I would say get CloD and patch it up (easily done).  As Sandman says, there isn't much game in the SP - and there's only one MP server which is rammed full of aces.  However, I think you can get a lot out of just learning to fly the crates with full CEM and then taking on the AI in quick missions.

The same can be said of RoF IMO, especially as you can buy 4 single-seaters for $12.50 as well as getting the Spad XIII and Alb DVa with the free download.  Lots of fun to be had learning to fly the Dr1.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

I recall hearing of good strategic mods for MTW2, but it's been too long since I went mod-trolling. I do think I heard that the Europa Barborum crew has recently released EB2 for MTW2:Kingdoms, and that mod changed the Rome TW strategy side quite a lot. But of course it's for Roman (and generally pre-Christian) period, not medieval.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Slick Wilhelm

Thanks for the votes for CLoD and NTW:DM, I'll probably get both. Actually, I'm so done with physical media that I'll probably purchase NTW online digitally, instead of walking up a flight of stairs at home and looking for the NTW DVD I bought about four years ago!   :idiot2:

In fact, I think I'll pick up DCS: UH-1, too. I haven't bought many games this year, and I need to increase the number of games I buy and don't play for years.

lol Mirth. I may just look into Goat simulator someday.  :)

sandman2575


Nefaro

I eventually picked up CLOD and modded it.  But barely touched it since I have others sims that give a better experience.  It looks pretty, I suppose.

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Nefaro on October 07, 2014, 03:29:40 PM
I eventually picked up CLOD and modded it.  But barely touched it since I have others sims that give a better experience.  It looks pretty, I suppose.

That's so sad, and speaks volumes. Thanks for being honest.