Looking for a new game to play, and have settled on a few. Need your thoughts

Started by Slick Wilhelm, October 06, 2014, 09:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MengJiao

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 07, 2014, 08:45:55 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 07, 2014, 03:29:40 PM
I eventually picked up CLOD and modded it.  But barely touched it since I have others sims that give a better experience.  It looks pretty, I suppose.

That's so sad, and speaks volumes. Thanks for being honest.

  I would say you might as well skip CLOD.  For me BoS now fills the WWII flight sim spot and , though it is not quite as pretty, it is more fun.

  Or, as I may do soon -- just do all your flight simming in DCS.  It's not even as pretty as BoS,  but it has a great editor.

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on October 08, 2014, 02:02:35 PM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 07, 2014, 08:45:55 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 07, 2014, 03:29:40 PM
I eventually picked up CLOD and modded it.  But barely touched it since I have others sims that give a better experience.  It looks pretty, I suppose.

That's so sad, and speaks volumes. Thanks for being honest.

  I would say you might as well skip CLOD.  For me BoS now fills the WWII flight sim spot and , though it is not quite as pretty, it is more fun.

  Or, as I may do soon -- just do all your flight simming in DCS.  It's not even as pretty as BoS,  but it has a great editor.


Yeah, may as well put that money towards BoS if you really want a modern WW2 flight sim.  Despite complaints about BoS, it will still probably end up in a better condition than CLOD was left.  Plus you'll have more flyable aircraft. 

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Nefaro on October 08, 2014, 06:50:40 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on October 08, 2014, 02:02:35 PM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 07, 2014, 08:45:55 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 07, 2014, 03:29:40 PM
I eventually picked up CLOD and modded it.  But barely touched it since I have others sims that give a better experience.  It looks pretty, I suppose.

That's so sad, and speaks volumes. Thanks for being honest.

  I would say you might as well skip CLOD.  For me BoS now fills the WWII flight sim spot and , though it is not quite as pretty, it is more fun.

  Or, as I may do soon -- just do all your flight simming in DCS.  It's not even as pretty as BoS,  but it has a great editor.


Yeah, may as well put that money towards BoS if you really want a modern WW2 flight sim.  Despite complaints about BoS, it will still probably end up in a better condition than CLOD was left.  Plus you'll have more flyable aircraft.

Yeah, but, the Battle of Britain! How can I ignore that? Is it that bad?

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 06, 2014, 09:31:36 PM
Napoleon Total War: Darth Mod - This is interesting me. Is the strategic game any good? The tactical side looks good.

If you're interested in that, then I can't help suggesting you to check out Ultimate General: Gettysburg. The designer is Darth himself.

jomni

Bought CLOD. Played some training flights but never went back to it. Never really caught my fancy.

MengJiao

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 08, 2014, 08:11:36 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 08, 2014, 06:50:40 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on October 08, 2014, 02:02:35 PM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 07, 2014, 08:45:55 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 07, 2014, 03:29:40 PM
I eventually picked up CLOD and modded it.  But barely touched it since I have others sims that give a better experience.  It looks pretty, I suppose.

That's so sad, and speaks volumes. Thanks for being honest.

  I would say you might as well skip CLOD.  For me BoS now fills the WWII flight sim spot and , though it is not quite as pretty, it is more fun.

  Or, as I may do soon -- just do all your flight simming in DCS.  It's not even as pretty as BoS,  but it has a great editor.


Yeah, may as well put that money towards BoS if you really want a modern WW2 flight sim.  Despite complaints about BoS, it will still probably end up in a better condition than CLOD was left.  Plus you'll have more flyable aircraft.

Yeah, but, the Battle of Britain! How can I ignore that? Is it that bad?

  IT's not bad, it's just kind of a dead-end that has been superceded by BoS in my opinion.  Might as well skip straight to BoS.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 08, 2014, 08:11:36 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 08, 2014, 06:50:40 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on October 08, 2014, 02:02:35 PM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 07, 2014, 08:45:55 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 07, 2014, 03:29:40 PM
I eventually picked up CLOD and modded it.  But barely touched it since I have others sims that give a better experience.  It looks pretty, I suppose.

That's so sad, and speaks volumes. Thanks for being honest.
I would say you might as well skip CLOD.  For me BoS now fills the WWII flight sim spot and , though it is not quite as pretty, it is more fun.

  Or, as I may do soon -- just do all your flight simming in DCS.  It's not even as pretty as BoS,  but it has a great editor.


Yeah, may as well put that money towards BoS if you really want a modern WW2 flight sim.  Despite complaints about BoS, it will still probably end up in a better condition than CLOD was left.  Plus you'll have more flyable aircraft.

Yeah, but, the Battle of Britain! How can I ignore that? Is it that bad?
There was very little about "Battle of Britain" in that game. True - the era was right and the equipment was right - but the actually playable missions and "campaign" related to nothing like a Battle of Britain.

I do concede it was (is?) a beautiful looking game moreso than I've seen on BoS (the English countryside is pretty cool)...but looks alone were not going to save it from people noticing the severe (and I mean severe) lack of anything BoB. It was also bugged to hell.

It may be worth the price now - as a jump in and shoot crap kind of game - but I wouldn't buy it because it says Battle of Britain on it

Though I believe there are mods out, I don't know to what extent they provide that Battle of Britain experience so can't comment - my comment is relating to my humungous disappointment on release!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

MengJiao

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 08, 2014, 08:11:36 PM

Yeah, but, the Battle of Britain! How can I ignore that? Is it that bad?

  It was Okay for the Battle of Britain, but I would play a scenario in Burning Blue and then see what happened if I set up the same
events in CLOD.  In CLOD the losses were horrendous (AI vs AI), in reality and in Burning Blue losses were about 25% of what
CLOD would give you.
  I'm sure all flight sims work out that way, I guess because most players want as much experience of spectacular explosions as possible
(as do I), but I'm just saying if its the Battle of Britain you want , Burning Blue is more like it than CLOD.