For any Combat Mission Madmen out there...explanation please?

Started by JudgeDredd, October 13, 2014, 05:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

Can anyone explain why I've managed a Major Victory in the first mission of the German Campaign in Combat Mission Shock Force?

There were 41 minutes left, the enemy had a fair few troops left, I had not captured objectives Kilnsman or Frings




Also, the report says I only had 1 man dead and 9 wounded. I'm pretty sure I had more than 1 man killed and more than 9 men injured.

I mean - I'm happy - but I just can't believe the stats and the fact that I was awarded two objectives I didn't have ANY troops in...and the enemy had a fair few in position!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

panzerde

You KIA/WIA enough enemy to break their morale and they surrendered. That's not a terribly uncommon end in CMSF particularly with Syrian regulars or uncon enemies. Neither have terribly high morale to start with, and it will rapidly deteriorate to "Panic" if they take fire and/or see a lot of their little pixel buddies get greased. I just played a battle that was supposed to run 90 minutes and I inflicted enough damage in thirty that the uncons I was facing packed up the Winnebago and left for parts unknown.

That sort of result is going to be even more the case at the Basic Training skill level. 
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

jomni


Cyrano

You be nice!

I'd never have made it my first run through the CW EPSOM campaign without the BT option!!  It does, I confess, give one a false impression of what happens with you ramp of the difficulty...like, say, when you play against humans, right Judge?

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Apocalypse 31

It looks like securing the ground was the primary objective, and judging by the screenshot, you seized it from the enemy.

Also, in regards to KIA. I think that if you apply aid to incapacitated Soldiers it prevents them from dying, although it appears that they die. Some kind of abstract evacuation.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Sir Slash

CMBN and it's offspring have the same thing-- when the AI morale drops to zero, they "Surrender". Usually you'll get credit for the victory objectives but not always which can be frustrating. The original CM had a slider bar that showed morale for both sides as the battle progressed. Now I can usually tell if the AI morale is near zero when they run as my units get close or will no longer stand under fire. So you can win a scenario by inflicting losses on the enemy, without capturing the vic. locations, by breaking their morale.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Cyrano

It strikes me that this is a much bigger deal when dealing with UNCONS than not.  I don't recall overmany battles against the Wehrmacht or 4AD ending up this way.  Also, as suggested above, BT difficulty makes all opponents quite brittle.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806