Main Menu

Pike and Shot

Started by Rayfer, September 05, 2014, 09:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

panzerde

Quote from: Nefaro on October 16, 2014, 08:48:57 PM

I was referring to general mouse cursor lag.  Feels like "Mouth Smoothing", which is just a fancy word for making your mouse cursor lag behind your mouse movement a bit.  I usually see that in games ported from console.  Skyrim on the PC has some IIRC.  I always turn that crap off in the INI files if possible. 

It could just be a driver issue or something, instead of a game engine thing.  I noticed that some parts of the interface are stretched on widescreen resolutions (most noticeable in the circular unit pics turned into flattened eggs) so perhaps it's a byproduct of that. 


I'm playing at 1920X1080 and have sort of an odd display configuration (another display above and one to the left of my main display) and I'm not running into any mouse lag or seeing interface stretching. Sounds like the game doesn't like something about your system setup, maybe?

Just got stomped in the third tutorial mission. Imperial pike & shot infantry is no match for Swedish infantry. I should have taken more horsies.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

jomni

Those Swedes are tough. Especially with their embedded light canons. But a horse attack from the sides or rear will do the trick.

Nefaro

Quote from: panzerde on October 16, 2014, 09:38:11 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 16, 2014, 08:48:57 PM

I was referring to general mouse cursor lag.  Feels like "Mouth Smoothing", which is just a fancy word for making your mouse cursor lag behind your mouse movement a bit.  I usually see that in games ported from console.  Skyrim on the PC has some IIRC.  I always turn that crap off in the INI files if possible. 

It could just be a driver issue or something, instead of a game engine thing.  I noticed that some parts of the interface are stretched on widescreen resolutions (most noticeable in the circular unit pics turned into flattened eggs) so perhaps it's a byproduct of that. 


I'm playing at 1920X1080 and have sort of an odd display configuration (another display above and one to the left of my main display) and I'm not running into any mouse lag or seeing interface stretching. Sounds like the game doesn't like something about your system setup, maybe?

Just got stomped in the third tutorial mission. Imperial pike & shot infantry is no match for Swedish infantry. I should have taken more horsies.

Well, I was using it on a mobile GeForce laptop card (GT640M).  As I said, it may have been a driver thing.  *shrug*

The cursor lag isn't as pronounced as others I've seen.  The widescreen stretch of parts of the UI made me wonder if something was amiss too.

jomni

I can't seem to beat Tutorial 4.  Guerilla warfare is hard to conduct.

Nefaro

#79
Quote from: jomni on October 17, 2014, 08:30:41 AM
I can't seem to beat Tutorial 4.  Guerilla warfare is hard to conduct.

Which one is that?  Where you are Transylvanian using the six 'Commanded Shot' units in the forest and lots of Hussars?


I just finished all the Tutorial battles.  Only one of them gave me some fits.  IIRC, it was fighting against the Swedish Pike & Shot units with regimental guns which managed to rout some of my units.  But victory was still had.   O0

Tpek


Tpek

Damn, no Hotseat mode.

Why do devs feel the need to force us to only play multiplayer online?  :tickedoff:

PipFromSlitherine

Quote from: Tpek on October 17, 2014, 02:18:42 PM
Damn, no Hotseat mode.

Why do devs feel the need to force us to only play multiplayer online?  :tickedoff:
We know it's something a small % would absolutely love to have, but a standalone hotseat mode would take considerable development time verses the number of people who would use it.  Hacking the MP system to allow it gets us most of the way.  Obviously not a lot of use if you are un-connected when you want to play though...

Cheers

Pip

Tpek

^Hotseat is the easiest MP form to implement.
And if you do the MP system right it shouldn't be hard to have multiple methods of MP.

RyanE

Agreed fully with the above.  True PBEM MP is really built off of a foundation of Hotseat.  So they have to go out of their to not have it.  Again, it reinforces the false perception that the majority of players are online playing...when it has been shown that the opposite is actually true.

PipFromSlitherine

I'm sorry guys but you are just wrong on this  :) A hotseat mode would need specific UI to handle the changeover and so on between players, as well as dealing with different game flows in terms of loading up the mission each time verses not etc.  But more importantly, trying to build MP on top of hotseat would not be something that I would ever do - the key fact in MP is not being able to rely on any 'carried over' data or synchronisation between the two machines.

While MP is hugely popular on many of our games, we are entirely aware of the fact that only 10-20% of players will EVER go online at all, which is why we aim to provide plenty of SP content in all our games.  That said, not playing MP (e.g. against someone else) is not quite the same as not being online at all (e.g. to play hotseat under the current engine).

As I say, a bells-and-whistles hotseat mode is on our wishlist, but no timescales at the moment.

Cheers

Pip

panzerde

Quote from: Nefaro on October 16, 2014, 10:09:49 PM

Well, I was using it on a mobile GeForce laptop card (GT640M).  As I said, it may have been a driver thing.  *shrug*


That is odd. I'm running it on a GTX770M which should be the same drivers, IIRC. Sounds like time for an exorcism.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

Quote from: jomni on October 16, 2014, 09:52:17 PM
Those Swedes are tough. Especially with their embedded light canons. But a horse attack from the sides or rear will do the trick.

Yep, that's just where I screwed up. Took more infantry and should have taken more horse. Didn't have enough cavalry to chase off the Swedish horse and get behind the infantry. Completely out of character for me to do that, too, since I'm usually all about the cavalry.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Micha


jomni

#89
Quote from: Nefaro on October 17, 2014, 11:18:49 AM
Quote from: jomni on October 17, 2014, 08:30:41 AM
I can't seem to beat Tutorial 4.  Guerilla warfare is hard to conduct.

Which one is that?  Where you are Transylvanian using the six 'Commanded Shot' units in the forest and lots of Hussars?


I just finished all the Tutorial battles.  Only one of them gave me some fits.  IIRC, it was fighting against the Swedish Pike & Shot units with regimental guns which managed to rout some of my units.  But victory was still had.   O0

Yes.  So what's the strategy there?  So far I have only decimated 1 tercio.  And my cavalry gets slaughtered and I lose the game.

Update:  I did it.  I kept my cavalry away and let their tercio units to cross the middle of the map. I then shoot at them from both sides from the forests to wither them down.  They will turn to either side, exposing their flanks to my cavalry.  Of course their cavalry is smart enough to provide cover so I have to also shoot at these guys before charging them as my cavalry is basically less capable.  Once the horses break / run, other adjacent units will also have a chance of being disrupted making them easier to rout as well.

I'm now moving on to the Italian Wars campaign.  Will go about the campaigns chronologically despite the Thirty Years War listed first.